Sunday, February 24, 2019

League of Legends - Part 3: Playing Ashe

Summary: My first three games in League. Learning the basics.



---

Music

First, picking some music for my games. The Freljord sounds very Scandinavian. Didn't want to go a metal route - she doesn't seem very metal. Found a Norwegian singer I hadn't heard, Sigrid. I like the sound!




Set up a Pandora station based on her.

---

The Games

Game #1: This was my first normal game in a while. Felt great to just get into it, to hit things and fight other players. Lots of fun! My best moments were when I kept patient, kept my range and avoided getting engaged on. Stayed with my team too.

My biggest problem was getting lost. I tried keeping my camera in unlocked mode and just couldn't keep track of my character. But I know unlocked is better once I get used to it.


Game #2: Way better! I've watched a couple of games since then and saw how the player tried to keep the camera steady or make microadjusts.



I focused on much smaller mouse movements and could see what was happening much better than my first game.


I've been watching a LoL streamer called Huzzy, and he mutes most players that start to get negative. I really like this strat; it paid off for me big time here. One of the other players started getting rude at the start of the game, so I muted them immediately.

No regrets. The game went back-and-forth, but they kept trying to start a surrender vote (where your team gives up). Can only go through with a unanimous vote and most kept voting no. We ended up winning.

I imagine during that whole time, the player was yelling and raging or whatever, but since I muted them, didn't get to hear it. That's the way to go.


Game #3: Got trounced. Wasn't even close.




I said I didn't care much about winning and losing, which is still true. But I physically dislike that I might be letting others down or holding them back. Making their experience worse by being me.

But screw that lol. We all got matched, we all played, and losing happens. If anyone else has a problem with me, it's not my fault or problem. They can deal with it.

Trying to learn a little bit each game, and today was about learning how to lose. Started to get a bit shaky and anxious as it became evident we were on a downward spiral. Recognized those physical feelings, that stress, and did pretty good putting it off to the side.

I count this as my most successful experience of the three games.

---

I think three games on this first champion are enough. My goal isn't to master any single champion, but rather to experience the game as a whole. All roles, all champions. Learning a little bit each step along the way.

---

Next time: Annie, the Dark Child.