Thursday, February 12, 2015

FFVII – Part 7: Off the Wall

Summary: We move through Sector 6, but before we reach sector 7 we see a captive Tifa taken to the Wall Market. She’s held at the Honey Bee Inn, and Aeris devises a plan to help that can go wrong in infinity ways.


Sector 6

-Ok.

-So. The first monster that attacks us is a house.




A “Hell House.” And it hits hard as hell (hee!) and transforms midway through the fight into having exhaust vents and a giant eyeball or skull or something and it shoots missiles and wtf.

-I’m confused. For Aeris, I paired Restore and All materia on her Titan Bangle. Why then does her Cure only cure one character?

[Note: this is one of the rare times when a question I ask here isn’t rhetorical. Honestly would like to know, because I thought I had understood the “All” materia until now.]

-Got Cross-Slash as a new limit attack for Cloud. Aeris’s is Healing Wind.

-Feeling stuck. Not sure how to get past here.

-Ah, found what I was missing. Navigating these maps in three dimensions is still a bit confusing. We reach the end of the gateway to Sector 7. Cloud predictably gives the “I guess this is goodbye. Is it safe for you to get home alone?” speech.



Aeris continues to be wonderful in reply.

-I have Cloud ask her to come to Sector 7. She worries she’ll be “in the way” (Tifa?).

-And we move into A PLAYGROUND BUILT FROM NIGHTMARES AND HELLSCAPES.


How they’re not terrified is beyond me.

-Aeris isn’t as freaked out by it as me. She has good memories here, and she and Cloud sit together atop the gopher sand demon monster slide.

-Cloud was a First Class when in Soldier. The same as Aeris’s first boyfriend, though she doesn’t say who he is. Chances that we meet this person at some point; 743892%

-…uh what the hell was that? I’m pretty sure a colorfully-dressed Mr. Peanut-esque Sir in a chocobo-driven chariot just drove by with Tifa.

-Cloud tries the “It’s too dangerous, you should go home” thing, but keeps forgetting that Aeris gives zero fucks. She ignores him and runs on ahead to help Tifa.

---

Wall Market

-Goofier music here, but Aeris says this place isn’t safe, “especially for a girl. We should find her quick.” Oh God.

-The item shop is automated, but broken. When I tried to use the terminal, a minigun fired on me from the ceiling. That’s some Robocop bullshit right there.

-I get a few of each status curer available. Not sure what’ll be relevant, so this should give me a bit of a buffer.

-There’s a restaurant! That’s new. I get some Korean BBQ because OF COURSE, and they gave me a coupon to a pharmacy.

-Random guy in the street: “Hey, boy! You sure got a good-lookin’ heifer there. Take her to the Don’s place and you’ll make a mint.” Eesh.

-A lot of these stores are closed or not staffed at the moment. I guess I’ll be coming back here.

-We arrive at a place that I can only assume is “the Don’s.” Not sure if a strip club, peep show, brothel, or something else, but it seems in that vicinity.


The Honey Bee Inn.

It’s Don Corneo’s, and it is a “bridal market.” Since Tifa’s there, I have to assume that drugging or mind control are involved in some way. Eesh eesh eesh. It’s members only though, and I’m not a member. I’ll come back later somehow – my guess is that I’ll have to do a task for someone and in gratitude they’ll give me a membership card, but we’ll see.

-Cool, a boxing gym! This whole zone is so richly designed. It’s wonderful.

-Is that… did Final Fantasy just show me a dude masturbating? At a bar, someone outside a bathroom doing the I-Have-To-Pee dance told me that the bathroom was occupied for a while and asked me to help. I knocked on the door, good Samaritan that I am, and when it opened, a guy looked like he was…



Well, yeah. It’s probably not that, but I honestly don’t know what he’s supposed to be doing.

-p.s. I LOVE THIS MUSIC! The beat or bassline or whatever is so damn good. I called it goofy earlier, and want to qualify that. It feels goofy, but in a particularly dangerous way. Reminds me a lot of Zozo music from FFVI in its feel.

-Weapon shop has a couple of things for sale I’d like, but not enough gil.

-We get to Don Corneo’s mansion. He only takes women. Cloud doesn’t want Aeris going into this place, so she presents an alternative.



Yeah. Ok. Ways that this can go bad quickly: 1,726,005. I counted.

---

Next time: we find some clothes.