Wednesday, April 5, 2017

FFXI – Part 42: Prishe

Summary: A bunch of stuff happens with a minotaur and mischievous Tarutaru, but who cares because PRISHE.




Mission: An Invitation West (Chains of Promathia, ch.2)

-So I woke up in this new area. Lufaise Meadows. The map puts this on the western part of the world, in the Tavnazian Archipelago.

-It’s a pretty zone. Lush in the way that Scottish highlands seem lush.

-I head west, eventually reaching a cave called Tavnazian Safehold. Nag’molada is waiting there for me. The more I talk to him, the less I think he’s “evil” and the more I think he’s just overzealous.

-Some warriors are watching us. One named Justinius approaches.



“Travelers. This place is nothing but a memory fleeting on the edge of time. There is little we have to offer outsiders.”

I’m immediately cautious. “Memory fleeting on the edge of time” could just be a poetic way to say that this place is out of the way, but the way that all the Empty monsters in Promyvion only had memories makes me think this is connected.

-The three asshole Tarutaru run up. I say that they stole from us, and Justinius seems unsurprised.

Lolol he clocks one upside the head.



CHERUKIKI: “But that amulet is Prishe’s! I bet that funny-looking adventurer stole it from her!”

-HEY LISTEN, TARUTARU LADY. (Or girl? I don’t know how to tell the difference between Tarutaru kids and adults.) I DIDN’T STEAL SHIT SO BACK OFF.

-Prishe isn’t around, but as soon as she comes back, Justinius will resolve the situation, seeing if the amulet is actually hers.

---

Mission: The Lost City (Chains of Promathia, ch.2)

-I want to explore this cavern a bit.

-Someone says that the roads leading to the old “Marquisate” capital have sunk, and the surrounding areas are filled with monsters. Hence this group of people living underground.

-This isn’t just a ragtag group of survivors here. They have a very noble, royal feel to them. Guards and insignia and “temple knights” and stuff.

It actually reminds me of the feel I got from Eblan in FFIV. The city was destroyed, but even in the caves they retreated to they retained their dignity.

-That said, these people ARE survivors. Many talk of their memories and wounds suffered in the Great War.

-I read a scripture that gives a tl;dr of the mythology of Altana and Promathia. A Tower of Babel-esque tale. Once, a race descended from the gods was living in a paradise, until one day they got too greedy and tried to open the Gate of the Gods. The gatekeeper (whoever that is) got pissed and wrecked their shit.

The Goddess Altana wept at this, her tears creating the races of Vana’diel. But Promathia was unhappy with this development, and cursed the five races by creating beasts to occupy the minds of the races so they wouldn’t ever try again to open the Gate of the Gods.

-The more I hear about Prishe, the more nervous I get. A guard tells me:

“You’d better have a look around the safehold while you can, because when our boss gets back, you might not be left with any legs to stand on. No, I’m not talking about Justinius. Sure, he’s the captain of the Tavnazian Patrol, but all final calls are made by the boss.

“You’ll see… Heh heh heh…” Is she a demon? More likely an Olivier Armstrong who will kick my ass for getting in her business.

-A young girl in town is known by the elders as “the abhorrent one.” Yikes.

-The Tavnazian and San d’Orian churches come from the same roots, but the Tavnazian Cathedral eventually branched off.

-Eventually I find who I’m supposed to talk to. An elder of the town, Elder Despachiaire.

-He tells me that after the war against the Shadow Lord, the survivors worked hard to rebuild the Marquisate of Tavnazia here.



-He mentions a phrase I’ve heard elsewhere – “the Pearl of Zafmlug,” a name for the beautiful Marquisate. It was a mecca of trade, but all that’s gone now.

-Right as the Tavnazians were facing death at the hands of Orcish hordes, a San d’Orian cardinal named Mildaurion saved them. She tended their wounds, helped them escape to this underground cave system.

All bridges to the mainland were destroyed, but the Tavnazians found hope and faith here. Faith in the goddess Altana.

-Not much else to talk to here. Justinius warns me to avoid the sewers specifically, so… I guess I’m going to the sewers lol.

-I reach the door, and both Nag’molada and the trio of Tarutaru see me.

KUKKI-CHEBUKKI: “Hey you! We know who you really are! Tell us who you really are!”

So… you know, or you want me to tell you?

-These Tarutaru are SO WEIRD. They start calling me a rogue, or a “red lion traitor,” or an “evil black mage.” What is this, FFIX?

-I see. The Tarutaru are basically the Kinderguardians from FFX-2. They’re just playing around.

-Justinius shows up, telling me to stay away from the sewers, the Phomiuna Aqueducts, since fiends live there. Rumors even of a minotaur down there.



-The Tarutaru start laughing that they should use me as bait. These kids have a nasty sense of humor. Less Lollipop Guild, more Mr. Oogy-Boogie’s kid henchmen.

-Nag’molada continues to surprise me. He offers to kill the minotaur with me, to help gain the trust of the Tavnazians.

-Nag’molada sets off, and I follow.

---

Mission: Distant Beliefs (Chains of Promathia, ch.2)

-The aqueduct tunnels are full of standard sewer stuff. Creepy crawlies and giant fish and the like. But there are also enemies here call “Fomor.”



-I know the term Fomor from the Dresden Files books, but in FFXI they’re basically shades. A Fomor Dragoon with glowing eyes, a Fomor Monk that looks like a Tarutaru, etc.

-Reached to the Minotaur and took it out. I really like the Minotaur’s design!



-After killing it, I wander around the sewers a bit more. I have to kill Fomors for a while until one drops a rare key, use it to open a particular door, and climb up to somewhere else.

-Nag’molada meets me here. Although he didn’t take part in the fight directly against the minotaur, he says he cast a “seal” upon the creature to weaken it before I got there. Ok.

-The Minotaur and the trust of the Tavnazians was just his secondary objective. Apparently, his real objective waits further past in the sewers.

-I follow him. There’s a Fomor-filled bookshelf and a brief lamp-puzzle I have to do before arriving at a new gate.

-Nag’molada is here, looking at a box on a pedestal. “So this is the precious vessel…”



-He doesn’t take it. Just notes it.

“My only problem is that circumstances have changed this time.”

Uh. What? This guy DEFINITELY has some kind of history and agenda, and I only glimpse a piece of it.

-I return to Justinius at the Safehold to tell him of our victory against the Minotaur.

-The leader returns. Prishe. A tall Elvaan woman with red hair.

-OH WAIT LOL THAT’S JUST THE BODYGUARD – Prishe is an Elvaan kid.



-The Tavnazians are all, “Oh Prishe, we were so worried, you were gone so long,” but she has ZERO FUCKS TO GIVE AND I LOVE HER IMMEDIATELY

“You wouldn’t believe the hell I’ve been through. Anyway. Listen up, you lot! A bunch of nasty critters have gathered on Cape Riverne. I’d keep away from that place if you like your organs on the inside of your body.”

-hahahah what – someone asks her about a vapor trail they saw in the sky.

PRISHE: “Oh, that. I’m pretty sure that was the vapor trail of some huge goddam dragon. But don’t you worry your little heads about it. I’m going out again after I check our provisions.”

XD XD XD

-The Elvaan bodyguard is Ulmia.

-The Tarutaru group runs up to Prishe and tries telling on me, that I stole her amulet. But she’s wearing her amulet, so EAT IT, Tarutaru!

-She glares at the Tarutaru, yelling that they screwed up again since she clearly has her amulet still.



They flee in terror of her.

THIS IS THE BEST CHARACTER IN FFXI ALREADY, SORRY LION YOU’RE GETTING BUMPED TO #2

-She hears that we beat the Minotaur and is immediately happy to have us with her. Yay for being friends with Prishe!



---

Next time: Meeting up with Prishe to hopefully find out more about the amulets and that huge goddam dragon.