Monday, October 2, 2017

FFXII – Part 27: Beasts of Nabudis

Summary: Zeromus goes down. Rolling through the Necrohol of Nabudis: Humbaba Mistant, Fury, Chaos.


Zeromus, the Condemner

-I return to the Necrohol of Nabudis. Heading back to the bravery door, the Door of Horrors.

-Huh. Nothing here. The door is shut. Was I not supposed to come here?

-Backing out for now to try Zeromus again in the Stilshrine of Miriam.

-Tried him a few times, and I dunno. I feel really lost without magick. This boss is brutal.

-HAHAHAHA HOLY SHIT I DID IT???? My strategy was shit, and it was sloppy af, but still managed it. And yeah, I probably outleveled him at this point given when I first encountered him (I’m currently around 53) but still. WHEW HOLY SHIT THAT WAS INTENSE

I prioritized the adds that popped up, including using motes to knock them out, and set my party up with gambits to use Phoenix Downs and Hi-/X-Potions. It got to the point where Zeromus’s last 5% consisted of him killing a party member, the other party members raising and healing them, rinse and repeat. Every once in a while I’d get a hit in.

The most exciting part was the end. Ashe was the only surviving member, near death. She had one mist charge left so I used her quickening – and managed to solo chain it into like a 5 quickening chain that finished him off.



My heart’s pounding. Good lord.

Who benefits from this esper?

VAAN: 2x Magick Lore
BALTHIER: Sight Unseeing, Makara (hand-bomb)
FRAN: 4x Magick Lore
BASCH: nothing
ASHE: Heavy Armor 9
PENELO: Nothing



Fran wins. The magick lore boosts Curaga.

---

Ghostly Gifts

-I think I know where to try for the roh’kenmu. There was that guy I met back in the Nabudis Deadlands who was waiting for his friends.

-YES! He’s here, now with his two friends I met earlier in the game. They want me to help in the Necrohol.


A hero is you!

-Humbaba, Fury, and Chaos are three fiends loosed when the nethicite dropped on Nabudis. They were temporarily sealed within and it’s up to me to take them out for good.

-The three give me the Medallions of Love and Bravery. The Medallion of Might is just past here.

-I was so sure that when I progressed those little dudes’ quests, they would’ve finished the bridge across the way so I could access the area with Roblon. But no. Hm.

-I hunt around, walking into the walls all along the zone. Eventually found an “off-map” path that led to this. ARRGH! I could’ve done Roblon a long time ago apparently. *bonks self*



-This area is pretty tough. The enemies here spawn super quickly. Took out Roblon. And… stuck again?

-Nope, just had to rezone. I can now get access to this shrine.


-They give me the final medallion, the Medallion of Love… “in our memory.” Uh… OH SHIT THEY’RE GHOSTS! They fade away. It’s up to me to finish their work and destroy those beasts.

-New Clan Centurio rank: Knight of the Round. I never found them in FFVII, but now I am one.

-The clan members all talk to me like there’s some great, ultimate hunt awaiting me. I have no doubt it’s awesome, and no doubt I won’t beat it. Fully expecting the ultimate hunt to be an Ozma-esque superboss that I might beat on a second playthrough when I find all the ultimate weapons, optimize my jobs, etc.

-Got Reverse, a new green spell. Causes healing and damage to have the opposite effect on a foe. Could be useful against an enemy that heals itself, like Asura in FFIV.

-Turned in the Roblon hunt in Nalbina Fortress. Yet AGAIN, the guy I turn this into calls Jovy over before Jovy snorts and leaves.



Current theory: Jovy is the Clan Centurio ultimate hunt superboss in disguise. He’s hearing about all these hunts go down, and eventually he’ll be like “Hey Vaan, why don’t you hunt THIS?”

---

The Necrohol Trio

-So I have no illusions that I’ll beat Chaos, Humbaba, and Fury now. They sounds like optional endgame bosses, maybe even superbosses. But I want to at least get a first look at them before I move on for now.

-First up, behind the Door of Horror: Humbaba Mistant. A huge animalistic looking dude who picks up a sword the size of the room.



-It’s a surprisingly easy fight! Again, this is likely due to my level, but still. He does some single-target attacks and disable/immobilize, but Esuna/Black Belts work against these. He goes down.

-LOL THAT DEATH ANIMATION – he turns small, into a peanut-sized Humbaba. The sword falls onto him and smushes the poor fellow.



-I leave this place and save in the Salikawood. I’m a bit grumpy that I haven’t found any save crystals in the Necrohol.

-The next door, the Door of Despair, doesn’t open. Maybe I have to do this last.

-I move onto the Door of Loathing. This one opens. Another giant lizardy dude, toxic and green.

-LOL NEVER MIND, HE’S JUST FURY’S NEXT VICTIM. FURY IS A TINY BUNNY.




-Again, not a very tough fight. I debuff Fury.

-I feel soooo bad to win this. He’ just a lil bunny! HE EVEN FUCKING LETS A LITTLE BUNNY TEAR SLIP FROM HIS TEARS AS HE DIES LOLOLOL

-Here we go. Chaos time. The final boss from FFI returns.

-I pop the Medallion of Might into the Door of Despair.

-A creepy voice greets me as I enter the room. Chaos is on a floating platform with a bunch of swords.



-WAIT WHAT?? CHARACTERS CAN’T ATTACK?? Dammit. On the plus side, this probably means Chaos is an esper.

-Chaos starts with four elemental buddies around him. They spam silence at me so I pop on anti-Silence amulets for my mages. Black Mage Ashe takes them out one-by-one.

-And then we go to work on Chaos himself. He seems to be immune to elemental attacks, so I have Time Mage Penelo use Drain and Black Mage Ashe use Bio. These whittle him down.

-His main attacks are wind-based, so I swap out the anti-silence amulets for half wind damage amulets.

VICTORYYYYY FJDKLSFHDJLSFHSFHDKLS

I did it! I cleared the Necrohol trio. And he’s indeed an esper. Chaos, Walker of the Wheel.

-The bestiary says he was created in opposition to Mitron the Chastiser. He died and was reborn countless times, “ a walker of life’s wheel,” eventually to rage against the gods that had so fated him.

You know what? I don’t blame him. Chaos got dealt a shit lot in life.



Let’s see who will get the most out of this esper:

VAAN: nothing
BALTHIER: White Magick 11 and 12 (Holy, Esunaga, Protectga, Shellga)
FRAN: nothing
BASCH: Black Magick 7 and 8 (Bio, Blindga, Aeroga, Silencega)
ASHE: Ultima Blade
PENELO: nothing

This is really close between Balthier and Basch. I’ll go with Basch I think – he has the Magick Power to support those Black Magick spells.

-I check back in with Clan Centurio. Will they acknowledge this?

-Yes. Montblanc gives me some loot/gil as a gift from the Fallen of Nabudis. Must be the three ghosties.

---

Next time: Getting back to the main story and the road to Giruvegan.