Saturday, July 27, 2019

FFXIV – Part 150: Frogs and Puppies

Summary: Piecing together the key to unlock Titania. The second dungeon, Dohn Mheg. The Fuath and Nu Mou.

---

The Key to the Castle

-Urianger asks the pixies for entry to Lyhe Ghiah, where dwells Il Mheg’s Lightwarden.

SOL UIN: “The Lightwarden of this land is our king and ruler, Titania.” Huh. She’s usually a queen in myth.

-The pixie queen defeated the first Lightwarden that threatened Il Mheg. But the light erupted from it and corrupted/transformed Titania.

-The pixies responded by shutting Titania away into a castle, breaking the seal that opened the way into four. They give us one part of the seal.

-Scavenger hunt time! Three pieces to go:

1) Shell crown, with the Fuath.
2) Stone scepter, with the Nu Mou. (SO HAPPY THEY’RE IN XIV!)
3) Crystal shoes, with the amaro. This surprises me. The amaro are like chocobos.

I don’t remember who the Fuath are. We’ll see.

-We head to a gate near the water and entreat them. Oh right, they must be the First’s sahagin.

-A voice answers from the water. They’re happy to lend us the shell crown. But first, we have to amuse them by heading down into the water. Mostly for their amusement.



-OH! It’s a duty. That’s unexpected.

---

Dohn Mheg

-Going into this with trust NPCs. Thancred will tank, Minfilia will DPS as rogue, and Urianger heals.

-They’re more like poro roggos than sahagin. Mischievous, magical frog faeries.

-The first boss is Aenc Thon, a big froggy with a candy cane attack and splashy aoes.



-The environment here is incredible! A lush underwater garden.



The music has a “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy” vibe.

-The Fuath troll the hell out of us as we go. Dropping random hornet nests in our path, changing the landscape, etc.

-The second boss is a wooden beast. Core mechanic is that every so often, things will surround it and charge it up. Our party has to interrupt the beams before it goes super Saiyan.


A water castle appears midway through.

-LOL. 2/3 in, the Shell Crown is sitting on a dais for us to take, but it’s another troll move. It turns into monsters as we grab for it, the Fuath laughing all the while.

-The final boss is a giant, DAPPER AS ALL FUCK frog being. Aenc Thon, Lord of the Lengthsome Gait. 

 
 I decided to record this blind attempt just for fun: 
 
 
 
[Non-rhetorical request: Let me know if this sort of video clip addition is something you’d want more of, less of, or don’t care about.]

[Later edit: I now notice that he’s the same boss as the first. I’ll bet when I go through this again, I’ll notice Aenc Thon as the primary troll messing with me throughout.]

-Aenc Thon messes with my mind through the fight. Turns me into an imp, a toad, sucks me into a nightmare where I have to navigate a narrow beam, the works.

AND I FRIGGING LOVE IT. Such creative mechanics, and they fit the theme of a prankster faerie boss perfectly.

-As I win, the Fuath in the nearby water cheer and applaud. “Well done!” “Jolly good show!”

-They were impressed with me in particular. Which they shouldn’t have been, if you saw how much I screwed up in that video, but what can I say?

“Make her one of us!” “One of us, one of us, one of us!” They want to keep me.

-The water crashes around me and knocks me out.

-Ghostly Ardbert wakes me up soon after in the water.



ARDBERT: “The first rule of dealing with the Fuath… is do not deal with the Fuath.”

Agreed. They’re adorable, but in a “they’ll murder me with pranks and giggle all the while” way.

-The Fuath are supposedly born from the souls of the drowned. They tried to drown me so that I could be one of them. Joke’s on the Fuath! I learned to breathe underwater in “Stormblood.”

-Ardbert points out the ruins of the royal capital of Voebert down in the water here. It’s sad hearing him reminisce. About its stubborn, warm people. The cold winters and the lamb stew.



He’s 100 years removed from the things he felt personally tied to. He’s searching for meaning now.

-The Echo shows me brief images of Voebert. Happy and lively one instant, on fire the next. The Flood.

-Ardbert’s gone when I emerge from the trance. I swim up to the surface and rejoin my party.

-Any celebration halts when a pixie shares that a mob of mortals is marching to Il Mheg. Eulmore’s army.

The pixies can keep them occupied for a while. They’ll “play” with them.

---

A Visit to the Nu Mou

-The Nu Mou are another type of fae folk. Let’s go meet them.

-They’re so friendly and happy to see mortals! A nice change from pixies.



-They’re reluctant to give up the stone spear, for fear of what happens when Titania gets out.

-Urianger… tricks them? He says something like, “I understand that you cannot simply roll over on this decision. Still, I want you to fetch the spear if possible…”

-FETCH AND ROLL OVER ARE “WORDS OF POWER” OVER THE NU MOU! THEY’RE BASICALLY BIG PUPPIES AND I LOVE THEM SO MUCH

-Urianger’s ruse doesn’t force them to give us the spear; it just makes them expedite their decision-making process. 

-While waiting, I help the other Nu Mou around town. They seem old, tired. Being without mortals for so long seems to have sapped them, and they’re clearly delighted to have mortals to help now once more.

-The Nu Mou show real affection for the fallen kingdom of Voebert.

-There are even hostile Nu Mou, known as “the lawless ones.”

-Minfiila helps me out on some of these quests, so I get to talk to her a bit more.

-She’s a rogue because Thancred (a rogue) has been teaching her. He was preparing her to face the Lightwardens if summoning me failed.

MINFILIA: “He kept me close… as a contingency. The truth is, he can’t stand to be around me.”



NOOO, IT’S NOT YOUR FAULT! She knows Thancred just wants to be around her spirit, the Oracle. She doesn’t know what to do, how to help, and feels awful. God, this poor girl!

-She bears some awareness of the Oracle, at the egde of her mind. She knows the oracle wanted… something from Ququshu. To show Ququshu something, or take her somewhere. She’s just not sure what.

-Suddenly, we’re both rocked by a vision from the castle.



A telepathic communication from Titania. “Why? Why did you imprison us?”

-It’s shot with the quick cuts of a horror film. We see sin eater!Titania floating in a grey void.

“Such boredom… such tedium have we suffered. It is unfair! Unfair!

-The camera zooms in on them.


“Come. Come and play with us.”

FHDSJKLFHDS JESUS THIS IS CREEPY

[Later edit: I’ve gone back and forth on pronouns for Titania. Titania is a king, but perhaps that’s not meant in a male-gendered way. I’ve also seen “he” and “they” pronouns. I’ll go with “they/them” going forward.]

-Back to town. This vision apparently happens every so often, seen by all the fae folk. Titania retained some consciousness after their transformation – retained the desire to play and be free.

Every so often, that desire leaks through the barrier imprisoning her.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-I like to do the “main scenario duty roulette,” where you get put into one of the 8-player raids new players need to complete “A Realm Reborn.” They’re fantastic experience, but you can’t skip the cutscenes (so new players don’t feel rushed, which I love).

But they take a long time. Non-new players usually have Netflix or YouTube loaded up beforehand.



-A literal flying pig in Il Mheg:


-One of my favorite small things about doing dungeons with trust NPCs is their internal interactions. Like once in Dohn Mheg, flowers fell everywhere. The sight entranced and excited Minfilia before Thancred reminded her of the danger.

-A couple of great player names:

Fake Cat – a miqo’te, of course
Vladamir Tepes, with the title <The Blood Dragoon>

---

Next time: Working to unlock and take out Titania.