Sunday, December 29, 2019

FFXIV – Part 179: Heavensward Crafting Interlude

Summary: Some brief notes on the Heavensward crafting path, and lots of random screenshots and player names that caught my eye over the past couple of weeks.



---

I’d been working gradually on the Heavensward crafting quests for a while before I stopped in the 51-55 range, frustrated with the complexity.

Then patch 5.1 came out. It revamped crafting dramatically. Simplified things, made them FUN AND DOABLE!

(I still use a crafting optimizer for my main crafts, the ones I really want to make high-quality: http://ffxiv-beta.lokyst.net/#/crafter-attributes...

It also brought a major interface update, showing all the raw materials needed for a craft, as well as a tree of sub-recipes.




Totally revived my interested in crafting.

However, my notes and screenshots were jumbled and haphazard over the first half of these levels since I had given up. Rather than backtracking or redoing quests, I just finished off Heavensward and wrote a few general impressions.

I’ll do full-on job quest write-ups for 60+, with Stomblood and Shadowbringers. For now, here’s a “random shit I’ve seen over the past few weeks” thing. Enjoy!

---

Some Brief Heavensward Crafting/Gathering Notes

-The goldsmithing quest was probably my favorite storyline overall. An incredibly sweet questline where a husband and wife each secretly ask me to make the other a similar music box.

-The culinarian questline featured one of my favorite side character: a foul-mouthed, cockney-accented lalafel who’s trying to get her fellow chef to stop being pompous about his food and get back to pleasing the customer.



Oh, and the final quest in the line was a cooking contest that turned briefly into the anime “Food Wars!” as the judge was sent into a trippy fantasyland with the deliciousness of my dish.



-Love the design of this character from the fishing quests:


---

Random Sightings Around Eorzea

The nightmarish goobue wreath:


A lalafel turning in a quest to a roegadyn doesn’t look… great:


Mia Chang, a player, in her wonderful garb:


XIV’s keyboard autosuggestions:


My chocobo’s new Yojimbo-style barding:


A snake-themed player:


A gorilla mount where, instead of riding the beast, the gorilla CARRIES THE PLAYER IN THEIR ARM: 

A badass paladin with glowing weapon/shield:


Is this a sword or a tombstone?


A player’s incredibly elaborate leatherworking table:


Stumbling across random player conversations:


---

Some Great Player Names!

Food Group
Sassy Juicebox
Squeaky Kiwi
Suspicious Breakfast (my personal favorite)
Tactical Toaster
Funicello Spinelli
Alphredo Pastaboy
Tofu Chan
Sashimi Sam
Dorito Burrito
Muffin Baby

References I Noticed
Friede Ariandel’ (A Dark Souls 3 fan!)
Real Slim
Warand Peace
Rydia Lockhart – someone shipping Tifa and Rydia perhaps, which I’m totally behind
Motor Cobra (perhaps a reference to the boxer Thomas Hearns, known as the Motor City Cobra?)

Player Pairs
Mr Bigglesworth & Mrs Bigglesworth
Cairstein Snogglehog & Saevus Snogglehog

Random Sentences and Phrases
Rooty Tooty
My Fault
Didn’t Doit
Skip Cutscenes
Tiny Oldman

Miscellaneously Great
Adobe Photoshop
Grimstyle O’sullivan
Doctor Piranha
Ragnor Stabystaby
Spudle Mcgrudle
Big Dinky
Rager Tots
Babs Babyface
Mega Hurtz
Tunasub Backwards – it took me a second to get this, and my inner 12 year old snickered.
Uncle Chuck

---

Next time: Pushing my crafting and gathering jobs to 70, along with the Namazu beast tribe quests. If patch 5.2 comes out before I’m done with those, I’ll complete that next. I think 5.2 is expected for Jan/Feb at some point.