Wednesday, May 27, 2020

FFXV – Part 29: Return of the King

Summary: Ifrit. The Old Kings. Ardyn. The end of the main FFXV game.

---

The Cure for Insomnia (Ch. 14)

-Let’s head into the Citadel, where Ardyn waits in the courtyard. But first, Ifrit.

-I TOTALLY FORGOT! THIS IS THE IN MEDIA RES THING FROM THE START OF THE GAME!

-The fight against Ifrit is a thing of beauty. XV’s greatest strength is its portrayal of these giant setpieces.



I like how at first, Ifrit is so lackadaisical. Barely notices us; just burns us with his natural emanations while sitting. As things progress, he becomes more engaged.

-oh and not to mention that BAHAMUT COMES MIDWAY THROUGH TO TAG TEAM WITH NOCTIS AND SWORD THE CRAP OUT OF THE PYRO DUDE (despite his agile dancing)

-The final phase finishes off with Shiva. She’s relatively small, compared to Ifrit.



Finished him off with a literal kiss of death.

-Towards the throne room. Ardyn presents one more challenge first: the Kings of Old.

-The Fierce is a nasty mace-wielder. In the end, Gladiolus has his moment in the sun, blocking his final attacks and shining as Noctis’ Shield.



FIERCE: “Forgive me… my mind was not my own.” Ardyn is forcing them to do this. That really sucks for them, to be forced (I have to imagine they’re forced) to fight their descendent.

-OH GOD IT JUST HIT ME, WE’RE GONNA HAVE TO FIGHT REGIS

[Later edit: I’m still surprised this wasn’t the case.]

Next boss is the Rogue, the one queen. She flits in and out of the shadows.


This design is cool as HELL.

-WAIFHJKLSFHDSL IT THEN SWITCHES TO PROMPTO WHO GOES INTO DLC MODE WITH HIS MACHINE GUN, THIS IS WHAT THE TALISMAN IS FOR

HE GRABS THE GIANT STAR FROM THE ROGUE’S HANDS AND SLICES HER WITH IT

THEN GOES INTO HIS DLC OVERKILLS

-Everyone’s getting their chance to shine.

-Next up, the Mystic. A two-phase fight that spotlights Ignis, and throws me into mechanics I assume I’ll see more in his DLC.



-I love the arena in the second phase, a void-space.

MYSTIC: “Go forth. Restore the Light… and free my brother from his curse.” His brother = Ardyn?

-I don’t think we’ll have to fight all of the past rulers of Lucis. I’d bet only Regis is left.

-Before stepping into the throne room, I get the chance to take one of Prompto’s photos. I opt for one of the party members plus Iris.

[Later edit: I was THISCLOSE to picking this photo, which would have been even more awkward in the end.]


-I DON’T KNOW WHAT I EXPECTED UPON WALKING INTO THE THRONE ROOM BUT THIS WASN’T IT

FFXV – Part 29: Return of the King (continued, 2/?)

BODIES ARE CHAINED UP LIKE GROTESQUE PUPPETS



[Non-rhetorical question: I see images of Luna and Regis up front. Who are the other two?]

I don't know a whole lot about whatever FFXV discourse exists, but I imagine some compare Ardyn to Kefka. It's not an unfair comparison, given how both are capering villains who used their political superiors who brought the world to ruin.

But one difference - a neutral one imo, making Ardyn neither worse nor better - hits me right here. Ardyn's motivations are so much more personal! He doesn't want to sow chaos generally. He wants to cause harm specifically to the line of Lucis' kings, both in small and large ways. I never got the sense that Kefka had any personal hatred towards Locke, Celes, etc.

It builds Ardyn in a really interesting way, and while I'm looking forward to Episode Ignis, I'm VERY looking forward to Episode Ardyn.

IGNIS: “Ardyn sits the throne?”
NOCTIS: “Not for long. This is my ascension.” You got some pretty badass lines.

-Ardyn also seems to be feeling genuine excitement and energy for the first time. He’s usually a capering troll, but this is real.

-He hurls shadow bolts at the party members, knocking them out. Leaving just Noctis.

-The fight itself starts as a solo sword duel, a bit slower paced. Feeling each other out.



BUT NOT FOR LONG. They take to the air and this becomes like the Leviathan fight, soaring across Insomnia. Quite a spectacle.



-And very physical. Both are exhausted, hurting. The last battle is reminiscent of FFVII Crisis Core in terms of showing the physical toll. All while the rulers of old watch.



A final flurry from Noctis takes out Ardyn.

-Is… is there no super monstrous demon phase? I’m okay with this.

[Later edit: The more I think about this, the more I like it. It keeps things feeling more personal. And it’s unique! Are there literally any other main FF games where the final boss didn’t have at least a semi-monstrous phase? I want to count FFIX, but Necron almost acted like a monstrous second phase.]

-Noctis bids him a farewell, asks him to rest in peace. And you know what? I’ve mentioned before, but time scares the living shit out of me. NOBODY should have to live forever. Not the worst sinners.



For every terrible atrocity he committed, all the murder and torment, I don’t want Ardyn to have to persist.

-End of chapter 14.

-When is the blood price to be paid? Gotta be now, right?

-Noctis stands outside the Citadel with the others, now conscious. They all seem to know this is goodbye.

-Daemons start rising from behind the remaining trio. They’ll guard Noctis’ back.


-Noctis walks up to the throne.

“I’m home. I walked tall. And though it took me a while, I’m ready now. I love you all. Luna, guys. Dad. Iris most of all. [I may have inserted this last part myself.] The time we had together – I cherish.

“Kings of Lucis. Come to me.”



THEIR GHOSTS ARISE IN THE CHAMBER AND THIS IS MAGNIFICENT

One by one, they dive into Noctis. it looks painful as hell.

-Regis is the last one. Reluctant. Winds up… and stabs.



-The Ring of the Lucii overflows with power. Noctis gives himself as the final sacrifice.

-Huh! Noctis and Ardyn meet inside the Crystal. Ardyn bows, jokingly as always, but then he starts to see things. Luna pulling his arm down. The party members beside Noctis. As all these beset him, purple seeps out of his pores and he starts letting forth bestial growls.



-The armigers burst out of Noctis and take form. Noctis sends them at him in the armiger strike to end all armiger strikes, and have I said this is awesome yet cause it’s AWESOME.


An army of ghosts.

-Noctis dissolves. The Ring of the Lucii dissolves.

NOCTIS: “It’s finally over.”

---

-We get a purely audio flashback to the gang pushing the car at the very beginning. That feels like so long ago.

-The credits roll. “Stand by me” starts playing.

Heee! I love that the closing montage draws on all of the pictures I saved in-game. It even includes stuff like the Miqo’te from the FFXIV event and some goofy ass upside down bird photo I saved. What a great touch to personalize the ending!


-…there’s an after-credit sequence? This is unexpected. Or rather, it’s unexpected that it features the full party, not just l, it’s unexpected that it’s not just like “Life After the Daemons.” It’s the party sitting around a campfire.



And this is the older party with bearded Noctis. When was this?

-AH! This is before the assault, Noctis shares his impending death. He’s overwhelmed by emotion.

Lots of silence. Quiet tears. Listening and acceptance.

NOCTIS: “Well. What can I say? You guys… are the best.” This is so great! Gloriously subdued and understated.

-More credits, then a sunrise. The first sunrise in a decade.

-A letter from Regis. Thanking Luna for delivering Noctis the ring and wishing her and Noctis happiness together.

-… GREAT NOW I FEEL LIKE CRAP. As this message praying for Noctis and Luna’s happiness goes on, the camera zooms in on the single photo I picked to keep that centers my beloved Iris.



Well, whatever. I blame the game for giving me like two seconds with Luna that weren’t flashbacks or posthumous.

-WHAT THE FUCKKKKK – this is a world where Luna and Noctis are married on the throne? A dream? Heaven? Alternate universe? I feel even WORSE about my photo choice now lolol.



-OHHHH, THE LOGO IS LUNA LYING ON NOCTIS’ LAP. That’s a very cool touch.

-Hah, the logo finishes off as it shows King Noctis.



-Fin. The end. (Time: 106:56:47.)

-I loaded the save file, and it starts at “Chapter 15: End of the Road.” But honestly, I think I’m good for now. I’m sure there’s stuff I missed and challenge mode dungeons or whatever, and I’m sure I could grind and learn more about the game’s mechanics to prep for them…

But I’m good for now.

---

Next time: Episode Ignis. After that, Episode Ardyn, and then final thoughts. I expect this to take a few weeks in total.

After that, my goal of playing the main numbered series is OVER! Next will be FFVII’s remake. I might try it as a recorded LP rather than as a written version, or half-and-half. Still not sure, so open to feedback.