Tuesday, August 11, 2020

FFXIV – Part 207: Tonberry Family Legacy [Scholar 60-70]

Summary: Helping a new tonberry friend, Setoto, track her father’s story.

---

The Vanishing Act

-Surito Carito, the tonberry scholar, has requested that me and Alka Zolka (my warrior companion) join him at the Wanderer’s Palace.

-His study of the voidsent may hint at something to slow the effects of tonberry-ism.

-One of his comrades, Setoto, has vanished though. We’ll track him down! Hopefully before some Eorzean kills him on site for being a tonberry.

-Strange. We track reports that the tonberry stowed away on a ship as far as Ul’dah, but no sighting yet. Whatever he’s up to, he’s on the move willingly.

---

A Safe Place to Hide

-Rumors surface that Setoto is in Gridania. I finally find her under attack by poachers in the forest, fighting them off and healing her up with an Adloquium.

-AWWW She looks like a little black mage! And it looks like Alka Zolka has a little crush.



“If I may be so bold as to say so, your radiance – it is blinding. Ququshu, isn’t she beautiful?” I SHIP IT

[Later edit: I still ship it and they’re still adorable, but if I’m being honest, I was more excited when I thought Alka Zolka was a woman and this might have finally been a canonically queer XIV relationship.]

-Now that Surito Carito cured Setoto’s rancor, her mind is her own. She’s got business to attend to.

-1,500 years ago, her father was a scholar and Royal Marine dispatched to infiltrate Ampador. He’s probably long dead at this point, but she at least wants to find some keepsake of his.

---

In Loving Memory

-The Ampadori prized magical items. If they captured Setoto’s father, the Ampador Keep dungeon may hold whatever they took.

-I fight my way through a solo version of that dungeon, with Alka Zolka and Setoto. These are stressful on scholar because the NPCs aren’t in my group interface, so I have to target them every so often to check their health.



-Found a grimoire on a boss monster. It contains a drawing of Setoto’s father, complete with his mage robes.

-Ooh, she also found her father’s soul crystal! It may still contain her fairy, Lilac.

-Crap, looks like Lilac might be corrupted. A purple orb jets out of it and flies away, knocking Setoto into a coma.



-I LOVE HOW WORRIED AND PROTECTIVE ALKA ZOLKA IS!

---

The Chase

-Setoto is still unconscious. Alka thinks it has to do with the attempt to summon Lilac.

-Scholars summon fairies by extracting a part of their aether and willing it to take shape. Perhaps something about the tonberry sickness altered her aether.

-Surito thinks Setoto only completed a PARTIAL summoning. Lilac didn’t fully form, Setoto’s aether flew away, and she’s out of it as a result.

-One sighting shows the purple light heading to the Lost City of Ampador. 

---

Our Unsung Heroes

-Alka and I head into the City, following the fairy’s trail. An elf named Landenel who has helped us joins too.

-The fairy’s spirit inhabits a statue at the end for a boss fight. It’s a pretty fun fight, and again, I enjoy focusing on healing here. Even though I’m not in a group with the NPCs, my group heals and shields still hit them.



-Destroying the possessed statue frees Setoto’s aether, and she wakes. Welcome back friend!

-While unconscious, she dreamed of her father. The tonberry conversion sickness hit. He and his fellow scholars ran through the streets trying to save who they can.

Then the sickness hit his daughter, Setoto. He set off on a journey to their national enemy, Ampador – home of the white mages - to find a cure. It didn’t work.

SETOTO: “<sigh> Even if he no longer cared for me – loathed me, even – for what I had become, it wouldn’t matter. I just wish I could have seen him one last time…”



WAIT WAIT – after defeating the statue, I found a red crystal on the ground. Will that show a final image of the father?

-Close. The fairy’s aether was instinctively jetting to that crystal. Her home? Hm.

-Surito Carito identifies this as a concentrated force of white magic. Lilac was homing in on the thing in Ampador that Setoto’s father sought. Lilac retained a part of her father’s aether, his will.

-This was a solid questline! Give me a determined tonberry, add in a dash of romance, and I’m in like Flynt.



---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

A woman atop an ADORABLE bouncy cat:


I entered a Hades trial that had some new players. One experienced player delightfully welcomed them with this:


-Some great names seen in-game recently:

Agatha Nyanbinary
Llink Garuda
Xena Blade
Jak Rippr
Jia’an Yu
Tonberi Sensei
Poutine Bringer
Link O’hyrule
Aqua Pheena
Movies Tv
The Joepesci
Property Taxes
Vampire Queen
Killilah Awesomelazer
Caat Daad

---

Next time: the 70-80 healer quests.