Sunday, December 4, 2016

FFX-2 – Part 4: Beneath Besaid

Summary: The cave on Besaid. Part of it, anyway. Flame Dragon. Looking deeper.




Besaid

-The mini-map now shows a pink dot at the traveler’s shrine outside the village, the thing where I click on it and see “6.” There was no pink dot previously.

-Brother checks in. His “heart is aching.” Ok bud.

-Oh, maybe these numbers are a code! 6, 9, 5… One missing.

-Found the last number on the beach.



The pink on the mini-map signals well where I should be looking, which seems kind of necessary in a game where there isn’t a clear indication of what kind of walls are climbable and what kind are not.

-The control panel now unlocks and opens up a passageway.

---

Besaid Cave

-Wakka is sitting inside.

-He’s acting really weird. Is there a thing? Is there not a thing? Does he want to know?



-He heard there was an old sphere. Won’t say of what – I’m guessing of his parents. It’s a job for the Gullwings!

-There’s a button near the entrance to this cave. I’ll have to watch for four more cipher numbers hidden in the cave.

[Non-rhetorical question for y’all: why does Yuna consistently get less experience per kill than Rikku and Paine?]

-Brother keeps checking in. It’s getting a little annoying.

-Short cave. Reached the end.



-OH SHIT HELLO GIANT MONSTER

-lol gunner!Yuna learned a new Demi-style ability. It’s called “Quarter Pounder.”


Flame Dragon.

-Blind seems exceptionally powerful so far in X-2. The boss goes down pretty easy – it used a hard-hitting flame breath early, then just missed all it’s physical attacks with a blind on.

-Got the White Mage dressphere.

-We get back to Wakka and see a sphere. It’s not much. Someoen scoping out the treasures around the Besaid Falls.

-Not what Wakka was hoping for. I’m guessing the sphere he was looking for is behind that secret door.

---

Besaid Island

-He admits he was looking for a sphere from his parents that Chappu told him about.



-Wow. Little Chappu was a dick.

-Ah. Chappu used to play in the cave, so Wakka thought he’d find the sphere here.

-Poor Wakka. He always had this very specific image of his parents in his head, and he worries that he might not really want to see them on a sphere. Maybe that’ll go right against his own image of them.

-Yuna offers to keep looking for him, but Wakka says he doesn’t want us to. BUT… THE SECRET PASSAGE AT THE ENTRANCE…?



-lol right there with ya buddy.

-So mission is complete, and got the “Protection Halo” Garment Grid. My second grid.

---

The Celsius

-Rikku describes her own pop as “good for nothing.”

-OH WAIT I REMEMBERED A THING – that woman in the Besaid temple told her to return after we finished in the cave. Let’s do it.

---

Besaid Village

-New dialogue here. Ok, this is a great lesson for FFX-2: explore after the mission is over too.

-The woman who was selling the key for 900,000 gil said she already sold it to a traveler on his way to the “cave up north.” So perhaps I wasn’t supposed to buy it, but rather find that person and get it from him.

-Chappu loved to explore the island and a woman suggests he might have left other surprises behind.

Hee! Imagine if this was really just a rumor. If there were actually no surprises, Besaid was totally finished, and the game was just fucking with me.

-Someone from the Youth League is rumored to be coming to Besaid. I don’t trust them. They sound… I dunno. But the first thing that comes to mind when I hear Youth League are those young fascist organizations.

-A dude says he’s happy Besaid isn’t polluted with politics like his own home town. Where’s he from? Bevelle is my guess.



-I KNEW IT!!! The woman in the temple says there are four more ciphers in the cave, barring its “true bounty.” I can only uncover the clues with a Search Sphere.

-Seems that the Search Sphere is the thing locked in the chest needing the key with the emblem of Besaid.

-So. First, get the key. Second, get the search sphere. Third, use the sphere to find the code. Fourth, go back to the cave and open it up.

-The first question that jumps out at me: is the “cave up north” on Besaid? I hope so but I also doubt it. There aren’t a lot of caves here. Gonna take another look around the island just in case.


A random Paine victory shot I like.

-No luck. Did another sweep of the island and didn’t see anything. I’ll guess that the cave up north then is the Gagazet Cave.

-This brings me to one of my main questions about FFX-2: how open world is it really? Am I supposed to just stay at the hotspots? I have to assume they’re just suggestions since the game allows me to travel elsewhere. And yet, Mt. Gagazet is listed as 4/5 stars in terms of challenge.

-Fuck it. The Zanarkand mission can wait. Let’s try it. If it’s too tough, I’ll come back when I have a stronger repertoire of dresspheres and abilities.



---

Next time: Gagazet.