Sunday, January 1, 2017

FFX-2 – Part 20: Science in the Sand

Summary: Clearing out Clasko’s new chocobo ranch. Exploring the Northern and Eastern expanses of the Bikanel Desert. Angra Mainyu. Testing the Alchemist.




Calm Lands

-Found a chest with a throwback to FFVI: Sprint Shoes.

-The games seem to be all the same here, so I don’t really play them. Just not that interested.

-CLASKO!! He’s at the arena. If there weren’t any fiends…

-Oh, neat! We get a mission: “Clean Sweep.” We have to take out all the fiends here. I’ve never been inside the arena before. Curious what he’ll use the place for.



-I’m going around in these ruins, touching fiends that disappear. Most are illusions. Only one is real at a time. Huh.

-I see! The illusionary fiends face the real fiend, so it’s not just trial and error.

-Killed the real one, a skink.

-I really like this mini-game. A fun little hunting puzzle.

-Got em all… but seems like there’s a boss awaiting.

-Not a boss so much as three blue elementals. A final fiend.

-Aw, this is super adorable. Clasko’s dream is to start a chocobo ranch. I’ll also bet this is related to all those chocobos we see in battle that run away at the start.


Clasko is living his best life in 2017, with a little help from the Gullwings.

-Woot! New dressphere (Alchemist) and new Garment Grid (Highroad Winds). Highroad Winds boosts speed with things like haste, first strike, and slow/stopproof. The alchemist dressphere uses potions and mixes somehow.

I’ve shied away from alchemist/chemist in past FF games because I had to spend consumables for it, but I’ll give it more of a shot here. My plan: maintain a glossary of mix tests. Don’t be afraid of losing consumables as I build this glossary (within reason).

-Went back inside. Clasko said I can now catch chocobos, and even send them out to search for items. He gave me Gysahl Greens and Pahsana Greens.

-There’s a whole chocobo-raising mini-game. Most of the options don’t make sense to me right now, and I’m sure they will once I catch a chocobo.

---

Bikanel Desert

-I know I have to go elsewhere for the cactuar gatekeeper hunting, but I want to explore some of the new expanses and dig in there. Northern and Eastern.

-Rikku’s alchemist dress is my favorite looking outfit she has. I love it so much.


HELL.


FUCKING.


YES.

-Yikes. Went to the Northern Expanse and giant birds like Rukhs or Zus are all over.

-Had to fight a Zu when I entered, but that was about it. Not the much scarier Rukh from the ruins above Gagazet.

-lol found Power Gloves. Good item to raise strength by 40, but I can’t help think of The Wizard.

-Woohoo! Advanced a rank. I’m now a Beach Comber. Not sure what that grants me.

-In the Eastern Expanse, came across a field of buried machina… and unsurprisingly, they came to life and attacked.



They kept coming one-by-one until Picket eventually evacuated us.

-WHAT THE SWEET FUCK IS THAT


Angra Mainyu.

IT HAS 333K HEALTH AND WHAT THE FUUUUUCK

I think I accidentally stumbled across a superboss. If I die, I die.

-The fight was actually going pretty well. The damage it put out was high but manageable, especially once I got Shell and Protect. I could debuff it to some degree. However, it then used Unnatural Selection which ejected us all from combat and that was that.

-The Caravan is back at the Oasis. I buy Lag Shock and System Shock, which add slow and stop to my attacks. Those seem like they could be useful.

-crap another “unidentified thing” is streaking towards me. Is Angra Mainyu just gonna stalk me forever until I kill it?

-This time, I just immediately flee. If I’m just gonna get ejected, no use wasting my time.

-The more I play with alchemist, the more I like it. The ability to use potions without expending consumables, especially with boosted power, makes it a neat support healer.

-For 200 AP, alchemist can learn Mega Phoenix, and for 400 can learn Ether. That’s astoundingly good.

-Found a Chocobo. Fed him Gysahl Greens a couple of times and we caught him. WOOHO!!



Though not before he cast “Choco-Meteo,” which WTF CHOCOBO ARE YOU A HIGH SORCEROR???

[Non-rhetorical question for y’all: one of the battle cries for Yuna sounds like it might be in Japanese. Best I can transcribe as someone who knows no Japanese: “Zep kan. Ikuyo?” Anyone know what this is?]

-That was a first. The game crashed on me during Choco-Meteo.

-I know I can run away from Angra Mainyu, but seeing it hunting me on the mini-map provokes a similar stress response in me to when I fled the Midgar Zolom’s shadow in FFVII.


Ruuuuun!

-Tried giving Pahsana Greens to a chocobo. She didn’t seem to like that.

-Woot! Got 30 successful digs, and advanced to Sand Blaster. Time to call it for this session.

-Made great progress on Al Bhed too. I currently am missin: E, F, J, L, M, R, T, and X.



It’s enough that I can understand what many/most Al Bhed speakers are saying.

-I did a full test of mixing Potion with other stuff, and will include the results here. Going forward, I won’t include every single test result; only the ones that feel notable for me.

POTION MIXTURES

Potion + Potion = Hi-Potion to a random party member
Potion + Hi-Potion = Mega-Potion. 2000 health to all party members.
Potion + Mega-Potion = Ultra-Potion. Full health to all party members.
Potion + Ether = Mega-Potion. NEVER USE THIS.
Potion + Phoenix Down = Mega-Phoenix.
Potion + Mega-Phoenix = Final Phoenix. Not exactly sure, but safe to assume this brings all party members back to life with full health.
Potion + Elixir = Ultra-Potion.
Potion + Antidote = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Soft = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Eye Drops = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Echo Screen = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Holy Water = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Remedy = Panacea to all party members. Not exactly sure what it is, but at least a poison cure, and at beast (and most likely) full status cure to all party members. My only hesitation is that back in FFIX, Panacea specifically was anti-venom/poison, but in this context more likely to be a full status cure.
Potion + Budget Grenade = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Stamina Spring = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Grenade = “Potato Masher” (lol). Damage to all enemies.
Potion + S-Bomb = Potato Masher.
Potion + L-Bomb = Cluster Bomb, heavier damage to enemy/enemies.
Potion + Bomb Fragment = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Bomb Core = Firestorm, a chain of 3 low-level fire spells in a row on random enemies.
Potion + Antarctic Wind = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Arctic Wind =Icefall, a chain of 3 low-level ice spells in a row on random enemies.
Potion + Electro Marble = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Lightning Marble = Lightningfall, a chain of 3 low-level thunder spells in a row on random enemies.
Potion + Fish Scale = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Candle of Life = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Chocobo Feather = Chocobo Wing (haste) on all party members.
Potion + Chocobo Wing = Final Wall, which I think is reflect on all party members but not sure.
Potion + Lunar Curtain = Wall on everyone. The fact that this was called wall makes me think Final Wall was more than just reflect. [Non-rhetorical question for y’all: what is Final Wall?]
Potion + Light Curtain = Wall on everyone.
Potion + Star Curtain = Hi-Wall on all party members. [Same non-rhetorical question for y’all as before: what is Hi-Wall?]
Potion + Healing Spring = Ultra-Potion.
Potion + Mana Spring = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Dispel Tonic = Ultra Cure. I’m guessing that both restores full HP to the party and cures all status effects.
Potion + Stamina Stablet = Mega-Vitality, doubling the HP of all party members.
Potion + Mana Tablet = PROBABLY doubles the MP of all party members.
Potion + Silence Grenade = Blaster Mine, which likely damages all enemies and causes some status effects.
Potion + X-Potion = Ultra Potion.
Potion + Water Gem = Tidal Wave, four casts of what seems like Watera on random enemies.
Potion + Lightning Gem = Lightning Bolt, four casts of what seems like Thundera on random enemies.
Potion + Dark Grenade = Blaster Mine.
Potion + M-Bomb = Potato Masher
Potion + Fire Gem = PROBABLY four casts of Fira on random enemies.
Potion + Poison Fang = Hi-Potion to a random party member.
Potion + Dragon Scale = Flash Flood, three casts of Water on random enemies.
Potion + Silver Hourglass = Blaster Mine.

---

Next time: Besaid.