Wednesday, May 17, 2017

FFXI – Part 73: Pirate Ghosts

Summary: Exploring the mystery of a ghost ship haunting Aht Urhgan. Gessho, the Yagudo monk, and some cute Qiqirin. Fashion.




Mission: Imperial Schemes (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-I return to Salaheem’s Sentinels HQ. Guests from the palace are coming to HQ today.

-We cut to Naja Salaheem in a rare good mood, singing happily. “Lala, lalala~!” I adore this character.

-lolol then Naja notices me listening. “How about I take this morningstar here and beat the melody out of your head?”

-The “visitors” arrive. The royal puppetmaster Aphmau and her puppet Ovjang.



-They ask on the Empress’s behalf for us to investigate the rumored ghost ship. If it’s just a hoax, deal with those responsible.

-The Empress wants Aphmau in command of the operation rather than Naja. Naja bristles, but… I mean, it’s the Empress’ request, so she doesn’t protest.

-Aphmau and Ovjang have the same dynamic as before. Ovjang takes the lead while Aphmau sits back and occasionally chimes in.

-The Imperial representatives leave, and Naja briefs me on the ghost ship.

-The ghost ship was first sighted around Arrapago Island, and has been seen all over since then. People first thought it was the Ashu Talif, an Imperial passenger ship that sunk in the area, but then someone who got a closer look swore it was the Black Coffin – a symbol of the Kingdom of Ephramad’s rebellion.

---

Mission: Royal Puppeteer (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-I head to Nashmau, city on the Arrapago Islands, and find a helpful Qiqirin named Pyopyoroon.

“Pyopyoroon love ghooosts. Maybe yoooo are ghoooost!”


Pyopyoroon doing an unimaginably adorable “spooky ghost” hand motion.

-OMG SHE’S SO CUTE!! She’s a ghost hunter.

-Apparently, ghosts like “vials of spectral scent.” She can make me some if I give her a “vial of Jody’s acid” from a “big, red, many-many wavy-wavy arm creature.” …shit. She’s talking about a type of Malboro.

-The first malboro I kill drops the Jody’s acid (Malboro digestive fluid), and Pyopyoroon turns it into this ghostly scent.

---

Mission: The Endless Sky (Rhapsodies of Vana’diel)

-WHOA. I teleported to Bastok to get a map for the next zone, but after porting, I got a cutscene with Iroha.

IROHA: “Your path remains steadfast, and you have successfully reached the third gate.” This must refer to the fact that I beat Chains of Promathia, and reached Treasures of Aht Urhgan.



“But the spirits which protect Reisenjima Sanctorium have gone silent. And I am unable to remain here in 884.” The year. Sounds like she’s getting kicked out of my time.

-She falls down.

“May your steps remain swift and true. Head for… the palace.”

-Hm. Continue with Rhapsodies or ToAU? *flips coin* Tails. ToAU. But I have a feeling these will intersect as I go back and forth. 
---

Mission: Lost Kingdom (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-I find a cemetary in Caederva Mire, west of Nashmau. A marked grave belongs to a “Sir Jazaraat.”

-I kneel before it, and the ghost of Jazaraat appears.



“That smell… so familiar. No… not anymore. My nation now Aht Urhgan.” He was here before Aht Urhgan took over.

-He attacks in anger and I defeat him.

“Vile nation, Aht Urhgan… Cannot bear this anger. Cannot forgive. Black Coffin. Ship of Ephramad. Sunk by that wretched nation. The Coffin drifts, I know not where… Will no one send my words? The warriors of the Black Coffin must hear…”

-Jazaraat is choking on his anger at the Emperor and at Aht Urhgan who destroyed his kingdom.

“Someone! Anyone! Our revenge on the emperor… begins with the rebirth… of the Black Coffin.”

-He gives me an Ephramadian gold coin to take to the prince’s side. Prince of Ephramad I guess. The coin has a crest with a crowned dolphin.

---

Mission: The Dolphin Crest (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-I check in with Naja Salaheem.

NAJA: “I was tryin’ not to think about it when we were discussin’ the request to find the ghost ship, but… ghost ships are usually full of ghosts…” lololol

-I show her the gold coin and she drops her mace in shock at the crest of the crowned dolphin – at the symbol of the Kingdom of Ephramad.



-200 years ago, the Kingdom of Ephramad was a small but wealthy nation with a large fleet. The more powerful Empire of Aht Urhgan destroyed it.

-Al Zahbi, the city we’re in right now, might have once been part of Ephramad.

-Naja already sent another mercenary after the ghost ship. It’s probably Gessho, the Yagudo monk.

“And if ya come back with any more half-baked ghost stories, I’ll take this morningstar and show you just how ‘affectionate’ I can be!” have I said I love Naja yet because I love Naja.

---

Mission: The Black Coffin (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-One major negative in this expansion: it’s really tough to navigate in Aht Urhgan. Even with a guide telling me how to get to the quest destination, I frequently get lost or go to the wrong level or a multi-level labyrinthine zone, or don’t see a hidden tunnel, or something like that.

-I eventually reach a creepy ship graveyard. Major FFV vibes.

-A ghostly woman appears on the ship beside me. “Mwahaha… I am Fhu Madihmin.”



-I swear, literally every third line she says is either “mwahahahah” or “bwahahaha.”

-She sees the Ephramad gold coin and will accept that as passage for her to take me to the Black Coffin. Charon-esque.

-Okay. This is fucking cool. Her cutter takes me off shore and titanic ghost ship looms. I LOVE this image.



-I arrive on the ship. Shades surround me, wary. They think I’m with Aht Urhgan… and I guess I am.

-Their captain/admiral appears, looks down at me. “Kill her.” He walks away.  

-The shades start to close in and Gessho (yay I was right!) appears to protect me.



The two of us vanish in a puff of smoke.

-We reappear on the piers nearby. Gessho and I regroup and charge back to the ship, ready to fight.



-We board, and take out the Ashu Talif crew.

-So is this the Ashu Talif or the Black Coffin? Or are they the same thing?

-The Captain emits a blast of light. He teleported us back to the city of Nashmau. Weird.

-Gessho keeps commenting on a strange auro about the captain, and provides some backstory on the ship. 200 years ago, it was crewed by corsairs – like pirates, but not brigands. Rebels and heroes fighting against the Empire to reclaim their nation.

-Their admiral was Prince Luzaf.



That must be who we just fought. It’s really interesting that the pirate ghosts (heeee!) are the noble ones in this story.

-OMG THE QIQIRIN ARE CURIOUS ABOUT GESSHO AND ARE PLUCKING HIS FEATHERS WITH THEIR GRABBY LIL HANDS



-He continues his story – buta s he continues, the curious Qiqirin keep plucking his feathers. XD



-This city of Nashmau was once an Ephramad naval base, and these Arrapago Islands were the last refuge for the survivors of Ephramad. Prince Luzaf’s last stronghold.

GESSHO: “He carried the torch of his people’s hopes, and turned it into a blazing inferno for vengeance.”

HAHAHAH GESSHO ALL OF A SUDDEN TURNS TO THE QIQIRIN WHO ANNOY HIM AND ROARS WHILE FLAPPING HIS HANDS ANGRILY TO SCARE THEM OFF, I’M CRYING WITH LAUGHTER



-He leaves to report in to Naja. I should do the same. 
---

Mission: Ghosts of the Past (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-Naja Salaheem heard Gessho’s report already – and my best understanding is that the Ashu Talif sank and BECAME the Black Coffin, but idk.

-The Empress and Grand Vizier have summoned me to the palace.

-Naja is pissed that I was summoned and not her, thinking I’m upstaging her. I assuage her inviting her to join me.

---

Mission: Guests of the Empire (Treasures of Aht Urhgan)

-WOOHOO I GET TO PICK AN OUTFIT TO GO TO THE PALACE IN! Blue with gold trimming, or red with gold embroidery, or… there’s like seven different choices. Naja puts on a fashion show for me.

-And I notice that Abquhbah, her secretary, watches her showing off the clothes. He has a massive, titanic crush on her and I can’t blame him.



-Oh – those are just me saying what I think she should wear. I have to go find a similarly appropriate garb.

-Jeez – everything on the auction house is so expensive! I find a piece there that works for 100,000 gil.



-I return to Naja. She approves, and we’re ready for our visit to the Imperial court.

NAJA: “Try to mimic the gentle way that I have. I’m sure you’ve learned a thing or two.” Yup. Naja Salaheem, gentle as a warhammer.

---

Next time: into the Imperial Palace.