Friday, August 4, 2017

FFXIV – Part 10: Heretics of Ishgarde

Summary: Titan goes down. “Marques” uncloaks. Involving ourselves in Ishgardian politics to help retrieve an airshp.




Titan Fall

-Time for Titan. He’s located deep in the caverns below the earth with his rattish kobold minions.

-They summon him, and he looks INCREDIBLE. This is my favorite incarnation of Titan in the FF series. He’s often portrayed as a muscle-bound humanoid. Here, he looks like a bulky ogre.



-I also like that he’s not just a bloodthirsty murderer. There was a pact between kobolds and Limsa Lominsa. I’m unsure on the details, but even the Lominsan admiral acknowledges that it was Limsa Lominsa that broke the pact.

Titan is pissed at us for our aggression against his people. I can’t blame him… although I doubt he’s preparing a proportional response.

-The fight itself is great, similarly awesome to the Ifrit fight. The core mechanics:

1) When he jumps up, get to the edge of the platform before he lands.
2) Avoid his attacks that would knock you off the platform. (I failed when he was about 2% and got knocked to my death lol.)
3) When Titan’s “Heart” becomes exposed, burn it quickly.

-Afterwards, we see Nero watching with someone who looks like an FFXII Judge. Rhitahtyn.



RHITAHTYN: “Are you sure that is wise, my lord? Your… curiosity is untested and unproven.”

-Nero’s preparing some secret weapon… and then Lahabrea shows up. He must be the powerbroker.



-Rhitahtyn is against this plan. Doesn’t trust Lahabrea.

LAHABREA: “Carry on, crystal bearer. Far though you have come, your work is far from done.” Lahabrea is using me somehow.

---

Assault on Scion HQ

-I get back to Scions HQ. It’s not the celebration I expected. Because everyone is dead.



-The furniture and boxes are destroyed. Corpses are everywhere. The lone survivor is the sylph, Noraxia, and she’s on her last legs. I see the attack in my Echo.

-Flashback. Minfilia rejoices on hearing of Titan’s demise.

-The Garleans suddenly crash into the building, killing in their hunt for me. Livia sas Junius leads the raid.



Her design is one of my favorites. Her mask is terrifying, and she has… not gunblades, but guncesti maybe?

NOOOOO YOU ASSHOLE – YOU KILLED THE ADORABLE SECRETARY, TATARU! [Later edit: I think I was mistaken here. The violence is usually seen in obscured ways, so Tataru may still live.]

-Livia takes Lady Minfilia hostage. How did she know to even come here?

-Noraxia the sylph interposes herself between Livia and Minfilia, protecting Minfilia. AND LIVIA FUCKING ROUNDHOUSE KICKS THE POOR SYLPH JEEEESUS THAT WAS BRUTAL



-Back to the present with the dying sylph. She has a message from Minfilia: seek sanctuary at a church in eastern Thanalan.

---

Bring Out Your Dead

-I arrive at the church and see Father Iliud, a friend of the Scions.

-He asks the gravedigger, Marques, to help. I’m immediately mistrustful – Thancred thought Marques was suspicious.

-Marques was in the Battle of Carteneau, and now seems to have… I dunno, amnesia?



My current theory is one of two things:

1) He was a villain of some sort.
2) He’s Louisoux himself. (He’s old, seems capable… idk.)

-While I hang around here, I help Marques fix up a clock. He randomly has amazing engineering skill from his past, and the clocks are used in Garlemond. This gives me a new theory:

3) He’s Garlond, the missing defector inventor from the Garlean Empire.

-My next chore is super disheartening. I have to go back to Scion HQ and bring the corpses of the dead Scions to the graveyard.



There are so many dead Scions that there isn’t enough room, and they have to be put in a mass grave with the Calamity victims.

-He can’t perform a rite for the sylph Noraxia. Asks me to return her to her people.

-I do so. The sylphs are enraged, but not at me. They want vengeance on the Garlean Empire.

---

Cid Returns

-Back to “Marques.” He thinks someone is watching him – and he’s right. I find an Imperial spy skulking about.

-One of the twins, Alphinaud, enters the church. He wants to revive the Scions of the Seventh Dawn.

“And I have come in search of a legend – the greatest engineer of our time. Master Cid Garlond – I have come for you.” AHA I WAS FUCKING RIGHT HE’S GARLOND

AND CID, THIS IS CID!!!


Cid Garlond, (literally) uncloaked.

-Alphinaud’s “grandfather” (who I assume is Louisoux) stood against the primals, and he wants to continue. Especially now that the Ixal have summoned Garuda. She’s the most bloodthirsty primal.

-To reach her, we have to get around the tempest protecting her sanctuary. This is where Cid comes in.

-It’s airship time. Cid’s airship was last seen near the snowy region of Coerthus.

---

Ishgardian Politics

-I arrive in Coerthus, part of a new and insular kingdom of Ishgarde.

-One of the noble houses, House Haillenarte, is concealing “heretics.” Ishgarde’s inquisitors are after them.

-Or not? Someone thinks House Haillenarte is being set up.

-I meet Lord Francel of House Haillenarte. “That’s… that’s absurd! I would sooner die than become a thrall of the dragons!”

He seems sincere. Also, I now know the “heretics” in Ishgarde are dragon-worshippers.

-I don’t want to lose sight of my purpose here though by getting lost in Ishgardian politics. He thanks me for the warning by referring me to someone who might know about Cid’s airship.

-Someone’s definitely framing House Haillenarte, planting “draconian rosaries” on them.

-The Ishgardian religious police, the Inquisitors, put Lord Francel on trial. It’s one of those “if she drowns, she’s not a witch” trials. They are about to push Francel off a cliff. If Francel dies, he goes to heaven, innocent. If he lives, it’s because a dragon saved him.



-We fight them off while the evidence of House Haillenarte’s innocence is brought here. And it turns out that one of the Ishgardian knights was a framing heretic, with a secret draconian rosary! Corruption inside the church.

-House Haillenarte wants to repay my help with info about the downed Enterprise airship. It was found near the Stone Vigil, a dragon fortress.

-The lord guarding Stone Vigil refuses to help me. He simply doesn’t believe I am who I say I am. I can’t blame him. I come here with Cid Garlond, lost engineer of legend, and Alphinaud claiming we’re the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, and… lol. Suuuure we are.

-I try earning their trust by completing tasks and helping them out, but Inquisitor Guillaume seems determined to foil me at every turn.

-AH! Turns out he’s an impostor. A heretic who killed the REAL Inquisitor Guillaume. He’s been using this cover to frame and kill countless Ishgardians, threatening any who learn about his true identity.



-We corner the fake Guillaume. He admits it. He’s a Dravanian heretic, one of the dragon-worshippers.



-AND TURNS INTO A GIANT DRAGON BEFORE WE KILL HIM

-Now with the fake Inquisitor out of the way, we get permission to enter Stone Vigil. It’s held by Dravanians, but if they’re the ones between us and Cid’s Enterprise, then they’re going down.

---

Random Images

Just some more random stuff from this session I wanted to share.


A sparkle pony!


The flowering cactoid from FFXII returns.


A huge random dragon I helped take down.


Ququshu chilling out amid the frozen towers of Coerthus.

---

Next time: into Stone Vigil to retrieve the Enterprise.