Friday, January 26, 2018

FFT War of the Lions – Part 20: Slaughter at Riovannes Castle

Summary: Moving to Riovannes Castle. Rapha and Marach clash. The brutal fight against Belias.


New Jobs!

-I got two new jobs after that last fight: samurai and skyseer.

-Skyseer is Rapha’s unique job. She starts out at level 22 when the rest of my characters are level 32-33, a downside. Her abilities are mana-free area effects with “randomly strikes within the area of effect.”

That explains Marach’s Hell’s Wrath. That flashed but missed me repeatedly. That experience makes me less inclined to use Rapha.

-Agrias also unlocked samurai with knight level 4, monk level 5, and dragoon level 2.



-The main samurai ability is “Iaido.” It “draws out” abilities from katanas. Not quite sure what this means yet.

-Samurai has Doublehand! I wonder whether this boosts Holy Blade abilities or just regular attack damage. Probably just regular attacks.

-Shirahadori also looks great. It’s a reactive that lets me evade non-ranged physical attacks.

---

Zeltennia Castle – Chapel Ruins

-Velia is praying. Delita comes upon her, but someone attacks! He dives in front of her, taking an arrow.

-The assassins show themselves.



I fight again as Delita with Ovelia in support. Delita’s Divine Ruination obliterates them.

-There are at least the seeds of romance here. We’ll see if it goes anywhere.

---

Around the World

-I backtrack to finish off some errands and test jobs.

-Oops! I forgot that I don’t have Rapha as a full party member, just a guest. Can’t test her yet.

-I think I underestimated ninja’s dual wield. I equipped ninja!Ramza with two decent maces and each hits like a truck.

-The ninja throw seems underwhelming.

-I’m testing out Ramza’s Steel that gives +5 Br in combat and it seems to give a small permanent bonus too!

---

The Yuguewood

-On the way to the Grand Duke, we pass through a wood haunted with ghosts who fell in the Fifty Years’ War.



-Mustadio is a champ here with Seal Evil.

-I keep meaning to use Poach and forgetting. That’ll probably be something I use on replays, when I have a guide telling me what the good stuff to poach is. Most of my poaches thus far have gotten me potions and shurikens and stuff.


---

Riovannes Castle

-Grand Duke Barrington receives two visitors: Folmarv and Wiegraf.

-“The ones who hold true power are the ones who hold the Zodiac Stones – the Knights Templar.”

-Ah, he’s trying to ally with the church. He thinks them the most powerful.

-Folmarv pretends he doesn’t know what’s up… until Barrington brings in Isilud, Folmarv’s son. Nooo, don’t hurt Isilud. I liked him.

-Barrington took his Scorpio and Taurus stones.

-His leverage: if the church doesn’t cooperate with him, he’ll expose their plotting. He plans to take the Scriptures of Germonique from us.

FOLMARV: “Who is there to oppose us, save you feeble-bodied humans?” Is… is Folmarv not human?



OH GOD I JUST REMEMBERED BELIASGRAF

-He uses the stone. Light flares in the room, and we go to a save screen. He must now be one of the Lucavi, same as Wiegraf.

---

Riovannes Castle Gate

-This feels like I’m approaching the end of chapter 3.

-Rapha pleads fruitlessly for Marach to join her. He’s still too loyal to Barrington.



-These frigging knights rending my stuff!

-Ignore Elevation helps a lot against the trio of archers on the top of the gate.

-Marach flees, and Rapha pursues on her own.

-The gates open and a knight crawls out. “Claws… and fangs… Gods have mercy.” We’re about to fight Belias plus whoever that other Lucavi is, aren’t we?

-Scene change to Alma sitting in a dungeon inside.



She hears a chorus of screams rise.

---

Riovannes Castle Keep

-Only fire lives here now. And Wiegraf.



-Noooo! I know that you’re now possessed (or at least cohabiting) with Belias, but I like you. I don’t want to fight you.

RAMZA GOES FOR THE HEART! “What must Milleuda think to see you now?”

-It doesn’t hit Wiegraf like I thought it would. There’s not much Wiegraf left.

“I sow the seeds of chaos in the world of men, and reap the anguished cries of the weak.”

Wiegraf OBLITERATES me. Ow. It’s one-on-one. I wasn’t expecting that. And he has Holy Sword.

-I equip Martial Arts. Chakra keeps Ramza healed, but his Hallowed Bolts take 2/3 of my life. Do I just have to survive?

-Kept healing but nothing happened. He two shot me when I tried getting a hit in.

-Maybe there’s a door I have to find to let my party in? Hm. Not seeing anything.

-Went back to ninja with martial arts. I closed the distance, and got him to critical HP. Progress!

-He goes invisible… then returns as Belias.

-My party joins me. So does his. A trio of demons.



-JESUS CHRIST THEY’RE WIPING ME OUT

-The summoned demons have normal HP but powerful offensive magick. Maybe I have to take them out to give myself breathing room for Belias.

-On the next attempt, I get new dialogue in the solo fight between Wiegraf and Ramza. Beliasgraf gives a little sermon on how religion is the opiate is the masses because people yearn to be dominated.

Aaaaand I died again in the solo portion. God, this fight is brutal. I was sure I was overleveled before this in the 32-35 range.

-Died again in the solo fight phase. This is frustrating. I’m getting a bit salty.

-I tried another few times and finally figured out something that works. I Shockwave him from a distance, running away and heal with Lifefont and Chakra, and Shockwave more when I have time.

-Trying a new tactic for the Belias phase: focus-firing Belias. In these “Defeat [specific enemy]!” fights, the other enemies are often just distractions.

-I started by charging with Ramza as a ninja and dual-wield smacking him in the face. He hits HARD. Good. Then… huh? Ramza gets a second turn? [Non-rhetorical question: Why two turns in a row?]

-Slow landed on Belias!



-WAIT I DID IT?? HIS DEMONS WAILED ON MY PARTY AND HE EVEN KILLED OFF RANDWULF BEFORE FLARE WENT OFF BUT I GOT HIM HAHAHAHA EAT IT YOU ASSHOLE

-He dissipates, the stone drops, and his demons fade.

-We hear a scream in the distance. Alma. She walks into a corpse-filled room. Isilud is the only one alive, if barely alive.

-Poor Isilud. This is like the worst “I told you so” ever. He now sees that the auracite are demonic.



-Alma takes the auracite from his doublet to give to Ramza for safekeeping.

-Oh shit, Folmarv arrives. “You needn’t fear. Your death shall be quick.”

Oh god, is Alma gonna make a Lucavi pact to save herself from Folmarv?

FOLMARV: “What’s this? Virgo stirs? You? Could it really be?” Wait, is she the real Ovelia?

-He takes her hostage and leaves.

---

Next time: end of chapter 3.