Sunday, June 10, 2018

FFXII Revenant Wings – Part 20: Bridge to Feolthanos

Summary: Zodiark. An old friend on a big bridge. Vaan’s leadership. Approaching the final boss.


-There are four new notice board missions now available to me, three of which look scion-based. I’m especially psyched for the fourth, “Battle on the Big Bridge.” WHOEVER COULD IT BE ABOUT?

I’d like to complete the game without more grinding. I’ll try these side missions, but if they require me to push from my current 47-50 range up to 60 or beyond, I’ll just skip them.

[Later edit: I found one more mission in Well of Whispered Oaths that’s not listed on Tomaj’s notice board: Midlight Deep. Not touching this. It was a bonus dungeon in FFT and I assume it’s the same here.]

If the main chapter missions need me to grind up, c’est la vie.

---

Masterless Minions – Gates of Shattered Time (notice board)

-The aegyl weren’t the only ones locked in endless struggle. The Yarhi are too.

-I clear out the espers and take all six summoning gates to win the mission.

-Ashe learned Comet on hitting level 50! Basch learned something called Shining Ray. [Later edit: these have been super clutch abilities. Real powerhouses.]



-The party has nothing but pity for these Yarhi. They’re literal byproducts of Feolthanos’ assholery.

---

Wings of Midnight – Feolthanos, the Last Auralith (notice board)

-Scions protect the auralith. This mission asks me to push through them.

-I clear out the few lesser Yarhi around the area. Then the boss rush starts. I take down one scion and more spawn in its place. They obliterate me.



The biggest problem is that their levels keep increasing. I could take out the level 54 Titan, but by the time the fourth boss spawned as a level 84 Ifrit, I was done.

Leaving this mission alone.

---

Keeper of Precepts – Well of Whispered Oaths (notice board)

-We enter a sealed off section of the Keep of Forgotten Time. Great idea! What could go wrong?

-A giant insectile esper awaits us. Zodiark.



-Zodiark and his espers are level 95. Whatever. Let’s go die!

-lol the regular enemies destroy me. Onto the next (and last) of these side missions!

[Later edit: I’ve crapped on RW’s mechanics a lot, but credit where credit is due: I LOOOOVE that when you fail a mission, you get a little bit of experience. It makes me more willing to try out different tactics, or even just explore to see what’s out there.]

---

Battle on the Big Bridge – Gates of Shattered Time (notice board)

-A “swordsman” meets us at the gate of the keep. Hi Gilgamesh and Enkidu!



GILGAMESH: “Where are we, Enkidu? Someone approaches! Perhaps they know the name of this land.”

-I’d forgotten we met in FFXII. He prepares to fight us to take our weapons.

-omg I love his portrait text: “Greatest swordsman in all Ivalice. He insists he knows what he’s doing.”

-He’s level 62 with Enkidu at 60. So… maybe I have a chance?

-No Big Bridge music unfortunately.

-I can’t summon espers. Just three party members of my choice against Gilgamesh. Multiple Enkidus keep spawning and attacking me. They’re the toughest part of the fight because they can bark and disable those in a range around them, which I can’t deal with well.

-He defeats me a few times. I think my problem is that I’m dealing with the Enkidus as they come. They spawn faster than I can kill them; they overrun me. This time, I’m going to try ignoring it and beelining for Gilgamesh. He doesn’t have a ton of HP.



-GOT HIM!!! Penelo tanked the dogs at range, leaving Basch and Llyud to take care of Gilgamesh outside the Enkidu disable range.

GILGAMESH: “Defeat is a bitter draught. But fear not! I will return!”
VAAN: “You don’t have to. Really.” Lololol HOW DARE YOU VAAAN

-HAHAHAHA YES I GET TO SUMMON GILGAMESH!! He’s a non-elemental melee esper built for single-target physical damage, including one strike that ignores the target’s defenses.

---

Chapter 10: Wings Eternal – Keep of Forgotten Time
Waiting in the Wings – Womb of Feolthanos (10-1)

-Let’s start the final burst!

-The zone name is interesting. The womb of Feolthanos? I’m not sure what that means in this context.

-This looks like a sad, muted version of the Yarhi world. Perhaps it reflects Feolthanos’ anima.

-A surprisingly easy mission. Took out Yarhi, closed summoning gates, and that’s it.

---

The Abyss – Womb of Feolthanos (10-2)

-Another relatively simple one. The only story beat is that we’re fighting our way to Feolthanos.



-We charge through enemy Yarhi and take out their summoning crystal.

-Ok, the game’s signaling hard that we’re at the final battle.

-Vaan gives a sweet pep talk to each party member.



He tells Filo that she’s valued. Tells Kytes it’s okay to be scared.

Lolol Balthier turns his back. He’s not in the mood to get a talk from Vaan.



-Vaan swears he won’t let anything happen to Queen Ashe.

-Basch jokes that this must be an impostor. Vaan’s showing legit growth, trying to be a leader!



Then he turns to Llyud. Promises he’ll get him back his anima.

---

Next time: the end of Revenant Wings.