Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Fitness - Part 1: Tentative Steps

Trying the whole "get healthy" thing again.

 ---

I've tried tying fitness goals to different gimmicks. Like, gamifying it with stats and quests and rewards. Or making it so every time I have a good day or lose x weight, I play a game character.

Not trying any of that. Tbh, I want to think about this as little as possible. The less upkeep, the better.

Core Principles to Start

  • Use a general meal plan, but get creative and try cooking different things.
  • Off-plan meals are fine in moderate amounts. Try for once every couple of days.
  • Junk/sweets are okay in small amounts. Limit to ~250 cal/day to start. 
  • Find food and exercise I enjoy. If I'm not liking something, find an alternative.
  • Eat about five times per day. Three meals, two small snacks.
  • Exercise about 3 days/week. Something that pushes me for like a half hour, even a brisk walk.
  • Log what I eat regularly, not worrying too much about calories. If I'm constantly hungry, I'm probably eating too little. If I'm constantly stuff, I'm probably eating too much.
  • Weigh in once or twice per week.
----------

Initial Meal Plan

general template: [protein] + [carb], some light fat okay too (e.g. cheese, oil)

A Few Initial Breakfast Ideas:
  1. Protein shake. Fruit + milk + ice + protein powder maybe some peanut butter.
  2. Eggs w/carb. Any style eggs. Toast, bagel, or rice. Some cheese.
  3. Spam & eggs, lighter on the carb. 


A Few Initial Lunch/Dinner Ideas to Eat In:
  1. Meat with carb. Rice, or baked/instant mashed potato. I gotta learn how to make chicken breasts that aren't dry af. Pork chops and Spam also okay for the meat.
  2. Pasta with sauce, cheese, canned tuna/chicken.
  3. Slow-cooked chicken with rice/fajita wrap. Chicken breasts with salsa, or chicken thighs with buffalo/barbecue sauce.
Add veggies for all these. Bagged, microwaved veggies are great. Salad with dressing good too.



A Few Initial Snack Ideas:
  • Greek yogurt with nuts, berries.
  • Beef and cheese sticks.
  • Mac and cheese cup. Not "healthy," but filling, limited portion, and zero binge temptation (unlike, say, a giant bag of chips or pretzels).