Monday, November 18, 2019

FF Cooking - Part 1: Chili Con Carne

Summary: The food in Final Fantasy XV looks delicious. I only really just started the game, but it hits me hard every time I see a new recipe in a diner or on Ignis' list. Now, I suck at cooking (yeah I totally suck), but I figured: why not sate my hunger by trying some of that myself? This might be fun.

First up: the chili con carne from Takka's Pit Stop.





This is NOT a completionist goal. Maybe this is the only post I end up making. I'll see if it helps me and if anyone else is interested.

I'm also not trying to make this an exact copy of the recipe in the game. Just using it as a jumping off point for my own beginner cooking.

  
---

Recipe Source

I hunted around for the easiest, most basic chili con carne recipe my newbie ass could find. Didn't use one single recipe, but pulled ideas from a few sources (mostly the first):

Slow Cooking Perfected: "Amazingly Good Slow Cooker Chili"
U.K. Good Housekeeping: "Slow cooker chili con carne recipe"

Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 diced yellow onion 
  • spices (a big shake, around a tablespoon maybe, for most): paprika, dried garlic, ground cumin, chili powder, salt, black pepper.
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • some red pepper flakes
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 29 oz diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of kidney beans (didn't check the size)
  • 1 can of corn kernels (didn't check the size)
  • 1-2 tablespoons of oil

Steps
  1. Heat a pan on medium-high heat and add oil. I went with a 5-6/10 on my stove.
  2. Cook the onion for a few minutes.
  3. Add the ground beef. Brown the beef and onions. (about 8-10 min?)
  4. Add them to the slow cooker. Then add all the rest of the stuff on the list.
  5. Set on low for 8+ hours and serve.
Browning the meat and onions.


   
Everything's in and ready to start.
 
 Eight hours later, a piping bowl of chili.

Results

Solid! I ate it with chips, some parsley, and cheese. I used shredded mozzarella cause it was in my fridge, but I know cheddar is more traditional.



Coldrun's chili con carne.


The main change I would make next time (aside from trying different spices and ingredients) is to drain the ground beef before adding it to the slow cooker. The chili came off a bit too greasy, and I imagine the fat from the beef played a role.

A SUCCESS! What about y'all? Any favorite chili recipes or tricks or suggestions?

----

Feedback/Ideas
  • From PythosCheetah: 
    • Montreal steak seasoning
    • Bloody Mary mix as the tomato base