Wednesday, March 8, 2017

FFXI – Part 22: Shadow of the Past

Summary: Retrieving the final two pieces of magicite from Davoi and Castle Oztroja. Too late. Fickblix, sweetest goblin. *weeps forever*




Mission: Davoi Magicite (Bastok)

-So I got the first of three pieces of magicite that will hopefully stop the beastmen from resummoning the Shadow Lord. The next one I want is in Davoi, the orc stronghold in Jugner Forest.

-However. I was supposed to find a clue to unlock something in Davoi, and none of the Tenshodo reps talk about it. Looking it up rather than talking to everyone in Jeuno again.

-Oh God.

-Ok. So I found the kid in Upper Jeuno who tells me he’ll trade a crest of Davoi (the thing I need to unlock something). In exchange, he wants coeurl meat.

Coeurls may not be quite as bad as tonberries or malboros, but they’re up there for my most hated enemy in the FF franchise. Their blaster attacks that destroy me, their creepy-ass proboscis whiskers… ugh. Fuck coeurls.

(Trap Doors and Evil Masks from FFIV would also be up there with my most hated enemies, but THANK GOD they haven’t reappeared in the series as far as I can remember.)

-He tells me I can find coeurls in a zone I haven’t been to yet that borders Jeuno called Sauromugue Champaign. Off I go.

-Glad I came here. I see one of the oddest creatures I’ve ever seen in video games: the Sauromugue Skink.



It’s like, part zebra, part raptor, part dragon, part clown.

-Found a Champaign Coeurl and a couple of kills later got the meat. The Coeurls here weren’t bad. They used Blaster, but it wasn’t an insta-kill spell. It just paralyzed.



-I bring the coeurl meat back to the kid in Jeuno, Baudin and he gives me the Davoi crest. Do I want to know what he wants the meat for?

---

Quest: Werewolves of Jeuno? (Incomplete)

HOLY SHIT APPARENTLY I DO. Ok. This is bizarre. I thought it would just be a random ‘bring me x and you’ll get your quest item” thing, but no. The kid takes me into his home to show me why he needed the coeurl meat. It’s because his sister, Audia, is “sick.”

AUDIA: “I want meat! Bring me a slice of coeurl meat, drenched in bright red blood! Quickly…make haste or I’ll devour you!” UHHHH I’M PRETTY SURE THAT’S NOT JUST, LIKE, THE FLU



-She take the meat from Baudin, retreats to a corner of the house, and scarfs it down.

-Apparently, she went on a picnic one day, got a headache, went to bed, and turned into…well, turned into whatever the fuck that was that needed fresh bloody coeurl meat. Is she a werewolf or something?

-Her betrothed, Albrecht, has been praying at the church for her to get cured. I want to find him. I need to find out what the hell happened to her.

-I head to the church. Albrecht is distraught, but the priest just tells him to keep praying and all will be forgiven. Albrecht prays, but it doesn’t seem to do much.

-I return to Baudin, who is distraught. He doesn’t think Albrecht’s prayers will do anything, since it’s not like Audia did anything horrible to deserve a curse. 
-A little girl named Alista comes by. She was with Audia on the picnic. She says she didn’t see anything, but I’ve seen “The Shining.”



I’m sure this little girl is the cause of Audia becoming a werewolf or whatever.

-No clue what to do next, so I look it up. I apparently have to talk to some random guard who was never mentioned before in a totally different part of Jeuno. Ok then.

-The guard says that she once went to Eldieme Necropolis, got cursed, and got a craving for raw meat. Well. That sounds like it.

-She saved her friend. I have to go to the Necropolis, find a room with four torches, light them in the proper order, saved the fire from those torches in a lantern, and brought it back. She lends me her lantern.

-A necropolis is likely a confusing underground maze, so I purchase a map of the place and head out. First to Batallia Downs next to Jeuno and south to the necropolis.

-I arrive at the Necropolis, and… arrgh!! Dang. The enemies are higher level than me. Not by much, but there are enemies in the 50s and 60s here judging by the repeatable quest ranges. I’ll return to this quest later. Hopefully I’ll remember.

*shakes fist at game for letting me get an interesting quest that’s like 15 levels above me*

---

Mission: Davoi Magicite (Bastok)

-Wow. Just got to Davoi, and boy am I glad I got a map. Check this place out.


Without this map, I’d be lost as hell.

-Exploring the zone. A lot of the orcs I’m encountering a pretty tough, and I am not sure if I should be here. I mean, I know I should be in Davoi, but not sure about this part of Davoi.

-I checked my map, and there’s a zone called Monastic Cavern that I’d love to find. I think it’s similar to the Qulun Dome.

-Woop! Got a jade cryptex off an orc. That’s the second of three items I need to collect for the boarding pass to Aht Urhgan.

-Backtracked after the enemies got way too tough and reached the Monastic Cavern, much closer to the zone entrance.

-AWWWW!! Just noticed something awesome. My dragon, Lady, stands flies when I stand and she sits when I kneel.




SO CUTE.

-Jackpot. Inside the Monastic Cavern, I find more magicite shards.

-As I reach out, I get… another cutscene. A memory maybe? Hm.

-This one is definitely of San d’Oria. An elf, Francmage, kneeling before the king, Destin.

-Francmage was summoned about the “Northlands investigation.” Bastokers think there’s an “ancient power” hidden in the north, in some lair of fiends.

-San d’Oria is nervous still about the Bastok humes meddling around San d’Oria. Francmage the Elvaan is tasked to watch over the Humes and stop them from doing anything in the wasteland.

-Francmage leaves for his task, gung ho af. All RAH RAH, MY BLOOD FOR SAN D’ORIA!!



-Scene change. Francmage is now with a Tarutaru and a Mithra in the north, at a cave. They think something smells off here.  

-OH SHIT THIS CONNECTS UP!! Ulrich, the guy from the last magicite memory, runs in. This is just after he stabbed Raogrimm and Cornelia.

-Wait, or is it? Ulrich tells the others that Raogrimm and Cornelia fell down a crevice. Maybe this is before the stabbing.

-The party goes out to find them in the snow, but no luck.

-Ah. Never mind. This IS after the stabbing – Ulrich was just lying.

FRANCMAGE: “Ulrich. Tell me something… Was it really an accident?” He knows Ulrich is lying.



-The scene switches back to San d’Oria. Francmage is walking around the beneath the city, in the dungeons. Restless.

-In the dark, beyond where we can see, we hear Francmage see someone and get into a confrontation.

FRANCMAGE: “No! Not you…? Raogrimm? What do you mean!? He died in an accident! I know nothing!... Stop! Do not come any further! No, nooo—“

That’s the end of the scene. I take the magicite. “Magicite: Optistone.”



-So I’ve gotten two snippets of story. One about a Galka from Bastok, one about an Elvaan from San d’Oria. Each ran into trouble and disappeared. Possibly (but probably not) dead. And it’s somehow tied to an ancient power in a cave in the north.

I’ll bet all the money in my pockets against all the money in your pockets that when I grab for the last piece of magicite in the yagudo stronghold, I’ll get one more flashback/cutscene following a Tarutaru or a Mithra from Windurst.

---

Mission: Castle Oztroja Magicite (Bastok)

-One last piece of magicite to collect, this one from the yagudo headquarters of Castle Oztroja. (The Yagudo are the bird people.)

-To start the quest to unlock the magicite area within Oztroja, I talk to a Tarutaru kid in Jeuno, Paya-Sabya. We see Verena (Aldo’s sister) and her goblin friend, Fickblix, talk to them.

-It’s so cool to see Fickblix as a goblin who is just accepted and chilling in the city. People are starting to like him!! He helps kids with gardening! He’s making friends!


*hugs*

FICKBLIX: “Everyone talks to me now that I’ve planted them. That makes me so happy. So even if the flowers never bloom, it was still good.”

-Fickblix heads back to the goblin shop in Jeuno and I follow.

-At the goblin shop, the owner, a goblin named Muckvix, tells me I’ll need a Yagudo torch to get deeper into Castle Oztroja. Specifically, one from a tree on the Sauromugue Champaign. I’m off to get a torch!

-wait lol no I’m not. At this moment, Fickblix walks in and is like “Hey I got a torch.” Why? Because he was about to head to Castle Oztroja too. Something about making Verena feel better.

-OMG FICKBLIX I LOVE YOU

FICKBLIX: “The beasties outside town are getting restless. That makes Verena worried. So I’m going to Oztroja and ask them to settle down.” He knows Verena is worried about the beastmen, and is going to one of the capital areas to politely ask them to stop being aggressive.

“I think the beasties outside can get along with people, like I could with Verena. I really believe so.”

-I’m now super worried for Fickblix. 

-Muckvix stops Fickblix on his way out, warning him to be careful in Oztroja.



Please please please PLEASE don’t let Fickblix be killed.

-Verena comes in, worried about Fickblix leaving the city since rando adventurers might think he’s an enemy and kill him. Muckvix hears this, and mentions how it’s not like being a goblin inside Jeuno is much better. Poor Fickblix is hated everywhere he goes.

-Verena leaves the shop.

MUCKFVIX: “That girl understands things that only us beasties do. Maybe Fickie and her can break down the walls that keep us apart. I just hope they watch out for those guys cravin’ that mysterious power. Oops… hey, forget about it.” OK SURE I’M SURE I’LL JUST FORGET ABOUT THAT “MYSTERIOUS POWER”

-There’s a running theme throughout FFXI about populations struggling to live with each other amidst history and an imbalance of power. There was this huge was 20 years ago, probably with that Shadow Lord, and each side still has bad memories but the younger generations have a chance to bridge that gap.

And then there’s whatever’s brewing in Bastok, with the Galka that have been exploited by the Humes and are still lacking power in the city.

-Arrived at Castle Oztroja, east of the Meritaphaud Mountains. Now to find the magicite.

-Found an area of the castle called Altar Room. This is promising…. Never mind. Dead end. It’s probably the right area, but I have to find another entrance since there’s a cliff wall I can’t scale.

-Yay! Found a “thirteen-knot quipu.” Not sure what a quipu is, but it’s the last piece I need for my quest to get a boarding pass to Aht Urhgan.

-The castle is both confusing and awesome. It seems to have an intricate system of passwords, secret doors, traps, stuff like that.



-Yikes. Found the “incredibly tough” (much higher level) enemies. Too far.

-Ding 50 – and I now get an ability called Super Jump, where I really take my time up in the air before slamming down on the enemy with my lance. <3 Feeling like a real dragoon.

-FINALLY!! It took a hell of a lot of wandering and time, but I found the magicite area

-wait what

-oh fuck you ffxi. Fuck you. Fickblix the adorable goblin is here. On a mission of peace. Dying on the ground.



VERENA: “What has happened here? Who did this to you? Tell me who!”
FICKBLIX: “Nobody… Verena… Don’t hate… them…”
VERENA: “Shhh. Your courage needs no words. Even now I can feel the warmth of your heart. Just… just hang in there.”



I swear game if you kill this goblin off I will

Well, ill continue to play you, that’s it, I have no good threats.

-Fickblix dies. Ughgjdfhadjklsfhdjklsafdsa

-And this is weird, because everything Fickblix has been talking about – beastmen and non-beastmen finding peace – is awesome, but also something I as an adventurer actively ignore. The game acknowledges this. Verena tells me basically, “Look, I know you’ll keep fighting the beastmen because of their phat lootz, but know that some are like Fickblix.”

-She leaves. I continue on, finding the last of the magicite.  

-Another cutscene. Flashback probably. This time, we swap to Star Sibyl, a Tarutaru holy woman. She and another Tarutaru named Karaha-Baruha are discussing summoning magic.

-Star Sibyl is nervous about this summoning. These two are trying to avert Windurst’s destruction.

KARAHA-BARUHA: “Place you trust in me, your Holiness. The Book of the Gods has taught me everything. It told me the meaning of the tower and the fountain. And it has taught me how to command the greatest of beasts.”



What is this greatest of beasts? Based on past FFs he could be talking about a summonable like Bahamut, or even perhaps Omega Weapon.

-Flash forward. A Tarutaru is charging through Castle Oztroja taking down yagudo left and right, until he arrives at what seems like a boss. Yagudo Avatar. “You are a fool for coming here to the throne room… alone.”

I’ll bet he’s not alone. We’re about to see some summoning.

-Oh – no. I misread this. He came here not killing Yagudo, but walking through them. He came to talk to them. To ask about “the Full Moon Fountain.”



-This is interesting. The Full Moon Fountain is beneath some evil ruins. And apparently it wasn’t the Yagudo that caused the areas around Windurst to become wastelands, but the experiments of the Tarutaru for activating some towers in the area.

-This is around the present. As they talk, they reference “twenty years ago, when we [the Yagudo] were defeated by your armies.”

YAGUDO AVATAR: “Make your way deep into the central tower of the Horutoto Ruins. There you will see what the Star Sibyl and those summoners really did.” OH SHIT I KNEW IT, they summoned some badness.

-We flash again to Star Sibyl. Not sure if this is 20 years ago or the present.



-She’s in what looks like a planetarium. Asking for Karaha-Baruha’s help, so it’s probably the present. Stars converge around her, a figure appears, and we flash away before I get a good look.

-Back to Detolilla in Castle Oztroja, taking the magicite. 
-HI LION!! She comes to help me.



-OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT IT’S TOO LATE

I went around collecting magicite because the beastmen were using it to revive/resummons the Shadow Lord, the big bad from 20 years ago. I collect this last magicite, but I’m too late. A phantasmal “Shadow of Darkness” appears.



“I have already awakened.”

Ah christ im too late to reach the crystals, it’s like ffv all over again.

“Your rage, cowardice, envy, arrogance, and apathy… from these I will spread the bane that will destroy Vana’diel.”

-Lion starts to (quite reasonably) freak out. She leaves.

-I return to the Bastok embassy in Jeuno. Whoops – right. I go instead to the Archduke of Jeuno. Forgot I was reporting to him on this.

-I present the three magicite stones to Archduke Kam’lanaut, and he gives me an airship pass in return.



He mentions though that there’s a fourth stone to complete this set, beneath Castle Zvahl (somewhere I hadn’t heard of).

-One of his aides mentions that there’s a talisman that seals Zvahl’s inner depths, and the keys to reach that talisman were held by Windurst, Bastok, and San d’Oria.

-lolol and just now a guard runs in: “Dire news, your Grace! The leaders of all three nations have been attacked!”

-Well. Shit.

-As I leave the throne room, the archduke’s little brother, Eald’narch, somehow reads my mind about what happened between Verena and Fickblix. He’s sympathetic, and asks for a guard to bring Verena to him.

-I return to the Bastok Embassy in Jeuno. RANK 5 BABY WOOHOO

-Now to return to Bastok.

---

Next time: I can return to Bastok for the next series of missions, but there are three things I want to do first:

1)Limit break. To get past level 50, the Adventuring Primer said I need to do a quest here in Jeuno.
2)Rhapsodies of Vana’diel. I want to progress on that by defeating that giant bull monster that kicked my ass.
3)A Moogle Kupo d’Etat. I have to get building materials for my handymoogle to repair the mog house in Jeuno.