Wednesday, February 7, 2018

FFT War of the Lions – Part 23: Considering Piracy

Summary: Delita reunion at Zeltennia Castle. Chapter 4 errands and rumors. A much different reunion in the Dorter Slums.


Quick Thoughts

-I had assumed that new taverns were time-based, that once certain story flags were hit new rumors would come up. But I had no idea that rumors varied from tavern to tavern!

This makes sense. I think early on I saw the same rumors at a few taverns and just assumed from there. Gonna keep an eye on taverns going forward.

-I’m getting better at patience in combat, at not rushing out to face the enemy until I land a big group buff first.



-Swapped Ramza to monk to finish that job, and he became One Punch Man. Massive damage! I love this job’s power and utility, and consistency.

Glad I tested ninja and opened up dual wield. May still return to it if I find better weapons than these morning stars.

---

Zeltennia Castle

-Ramza and Delita meet in a church.

-The Church of Glabados planted Delita within Goltanna’s group in order for him to assassinate Goltanna and Orlandeau when the time is right.

-At a large battle, Larg, Goltanna, Zalbaag, and Orlandeau all have to die. Dycedarg too. All the leaders. The church wants to take out the leaders on both sides and step in to fill the vacuum.

-“Once more, the Church will have the Zodiac braves.” Oh will they now?

-Thought I was about to fight Delita now. Not yet.


I have my doubts. Deliza 4eva.

-Ramza again offers Delita the chance to join forces, but he won’t do it. Largely due to Ovelia, and his desire to serve her. This may throw a wrench into the church’s plan.

“To save her life, I would gladly give my own.”

---

Outlying Church

-A booming voice calls out from outside the church. Confessor Zalmour, calling Ramza Beoulve, “the heretic,” to face judgment.

-Confessor Zalmour doesn’t know of the High Confessor’s plot. All these poor well-intentioned churchfolk have all kinds of surprises in store.

-We take Zalmour out quickly. Delita lands a major Hallowed Bolt, and some range finishes him off.



I was expecting a second phase, but no. I Must’ve gotten lucky to take him out quick.

-Our next task is to speak to Count Orlandeau, and present to him the Tomes of Germonique as proof of church corruption.

-I still don’t quite understand Delita’s role in all this. He’s working for the church, and plans to (or at least was ordered to) assassinate Count Orlandeau eventually.

But he doesn’t think we’re working at cross purposes. And he may have his own thing going on.

-A woman arrives, someone who was told to keep watch on him. Mullonde.

The name is very familiar. I’m not sure where… Wait, what? I checked back through my notes and Mullonde came up before in Tactics, but as a place. It was the place that sunk into the sea long ago, around the death of Saint Ajora.

Could be a coincidence, like how some kids are named Brooklyn. I doubt it’s wholly unrelated.

-Wait, her name is Valmafra. Why did I think he said her name was Mullonde? I likely just misread text, but leaving this bit in here rather than deleting it just in case I didn’t misread and it has some significance.

Valmafra is extremely direct with her observations.



I like her.

---

The Cursed Isle of Nelveska

-That fake Zorro dude, Zerro, pops up again in Zeltennia errands

-New errand in Zeltennia. The island north of the city holds ancient temples, bases during the Fifty Years War. A “fearsome iron sentinel” guards it.



-WAHAAAAATT

Okay. My plan to explore rumors in each city IMMEDIATELY pays off. Reading that rumor opens up a new zone north of Zeltennia, Nelveska Temple.

-I’ll bet this is a boss fight against an Iron Giant given the rumor.

-…Nothing happens when I go up there, even though it’s a red dot on the map which has always meant instant combat. I go back there like 10 different times. Nothing. Hm.

---

Errands and Rumors

-Gonna take another brief world tour before pushing on to Fort Besselat. I want to see if more rumors unlock stuff like this secret island.

-I say this with all possible respect and love for feathered friends: fuck Finnath Creek. That map spot swarms me with black and red chocobos that bomb the hell out of me.



Even worse when Mindflayers (with Blaster) and Red Dragons join the fray. I can beat them, but it’s super annoying.

-Agrias started off super strong. She’s plateaued. She even feels underwhelming now, more utility than raw damage compared with Monk!Ramza. Maybe I just need to upgrade her weapon.

Maybe cause I haven’t updated her sword (not for want of searching) in a while. She still uses Ice Brand.

-Found a Rat Tail. That most epic of items.

-Zerro gets around! I’ll bet there’s an achievement for taking out all the Zerro errands.



He continues to thieve and we continue to catch him. This time, our reward is a “chocobo cannon.”


Go home, FFT. You're drunk.

-New rumor in the Mining Town of Gollund: The Haunted Mine. Monsters took up residence in a coal mind beneath the town. They need people to help.

I’M RIGHT HERE! But no new thing opens up.

-I like the combat system in FFT fine, but getting pretty sick of the random encounters along the way. Each one takes so much time and I just want to get to the next town. Tbh it saps my will to play. Edit



---

Dorter Slums

-New rumor in Dorter. Bervenia recently donated a treasure, the Wailing Orte, to Dorter. Bandits made him too frightened though, so he wants guards. Do I have to go back to Bervenia?

-Cutscene of a bunch of folksin Dorter attacking Ramza, accidentally. They were going for a thief instead.

-“Your mistakes were twofold, I’m afraid.” WAIT I KNOW THAT VOICE



HALLO

-It’s good to see you and all Balthier, but I had assumed this game took place long before FFXII.

-Lol balthier’s job is “Sky Pirate.”

-We fight the thieves, in that same death trap as in the beginning of the game. But this time I’m much higher level and with actual jobs and abilities.

-Balthier is seeking the Cache of Glabados. Could be an auracite, could just be mixed riches.

“You’ve gained yourself another traveling companion. Not to worry – I’ve some experience with the chaperoning of children.” Lololol get rekt vaan.



-He’s really doing it, he’s really joining my party. XD

No Bervenia trip needed. That was what the rumor was talking about. Holy shit, I’m SUPER glad I checked the rumors!

-The Sky Pirate job is like a strictly better mechanic. It has steal options (which I don’t care too much about) and a new ability called “Barrage” which sounds very interesting.

-Balthier doesn’t start from zero. He’s got an arsenal of monk abilities.

This is hard. Mustadio is great. He’s also in the low 50s, and mastered mechanic and chemist. But (at least for now), welcome to the bench Mustadio. Replacing you on the main team with Balthier and seeing how that works out.



-I’m not sure lore-wise how to process this. Three possibilities jump out to me:

1) This is happening very close in time to FFXII.
2) This is happening long before FFXII and Balthier is just an easter egg that I shouldn’t think about too much.
3) This is happening long before FFXII and Balthier is canonically an immortal vampire who travels through time.

My money is on #2. #1 just doesn’t make sense, especially since he referenced Vaan and nothing about this world makes it seem like it’s happening after FFXII.

[Later edit: back when I was deciding whether to play FFXII or FFT first, I now remember y’all mentioning that one might introduce a character early. This must’ve been it.]

---

Next time: continuing to explore the world’s rumors, then heading to Fort Besselat chasing Count Orlandeau.