Saturday, February 24, 2018

FFXIV – Part 41: Lessons in Love

Summary: Ascending the sacred dragon mount of Sohm Al. Valentine’s Day, FFXIV-style.


The Dragon Mountain

-I return to Vidofnir. With the Gnath threat to the dragons removed, she should let us see Hraesvelgr.

-She lets us pass. Our next step is to climb the sacred dragon mountain of Sohm Al.


Vidofnir.

-Before she leaves, she warns Estinien to keep his stolen power in check “lest it breed further despair.” I’m afraid of a full heel-turn by Estinien.

-Ysayle is afraid of this path. The dragons of Sohm Al will be hostile to us, and the last thing she wants to do is kill her way through a bunch of dragons. Sorry, Ysayle

-We fight through the mountain dungeon. It’s SO BEAUTIFUL. These are in-game graphics:




-Lots of dragons here, along with some of those adorable Gaelicats.

-When the final boss goes down, my consciousness is transported back to that weird crystal space. A second crystal lights up.



I’m not quite sure what these symbolize or what triggers the crystals’ activation.

-Back in reality. A roar bursts out from nowhere, knocking Estinien down. It’s NIdhogg. “His fury… bleeds through the eye.”

-Onward, to the heart of the dragon homeland.

-Ysayle is heartbroken with the dragons we’ve killed. “Another link to the chain of vengeance. Oh, Saint Shiva, when will it end…?”

-We continue, to a string of islands atop a a sea of clouds. This is where dragons and other races once lifved together. The Churning Mists.

---

Lessons in Love (Valentine’s Day event)

-It’s Not!Valentine’s Day in FFXIV! “Valentione’s Day.” The questgiver is Lisette de Valentione.


Looks like an “Alice-in-Wonderland” cast member. I love it.

-Lisette is an Ishgardian, collaborating for the holiday with a local Gridanian partner named Astrid.

-I love Lisette’s design, but I LOOOOVE Astrid’s design.



Her job is to devise an “affinity test,” like a matchmaking game.

ASTRID: “The moogles tasked with setting up the venue have all abandoned me, muttering moogle profanities as they fluttered off. “ XD XD XD She offended them somehow.

-It’s not quite the case. The moogles are being tired/slothful, but they also find Astrid’s plan too starchy and rational.

-oh good lord a moogle just talked about the importance of “kupolation” in love. Moogle sex jokes.

-Astrid improves her tests, the lazy moogles get their pom-poms swatted, and the revamped affinity test is ready.

I just need to test it. They’ll randomly match me with someone in an instanced dungeon.

-I instead go in with a friend. The first half requires us to go through a maze in sync, without breaking a tether between us.



-The second is a card matching mini-game. Again, it requires communication and participation of both players.

Brava, Astrid! The affinity test is fun and awesome.



Afterwards, I check out a bonus holiday feature, where I go with a friend to a series of fortune tellers who predict our futures together.



I can’t breathe when I first see them. The predictions are so hilariously over the top.





Our futures range from obscene wealth and love to despair and betrayal.

-One of my rewards is a flying broken-heart loveseat.



---

Palace of the Dead

-I continued into Palace of the dead through Floor 50. Floors 41-50 were especially tough. The enemies hit hard and the debuffs were brutal.

-The worst was a Mimic enemy who debuffed me with “Infatuation,” the WORST DEBUFF EVER. It removed my natural healing for 10 minutes. It persisted even through death.

-That witch who’s been following me awaits at floor 50. Her name is Edda Blackbosom.



-Oh shit. I’ve seen her before. A looong time ago. She was the healer with a random NPC adventurer party. The tank in her party died, and she was emotionally destroyed. (Something like that, anyway.)

I still have a quest lingering in my log about her and for a dungeon I haven’t gotten to yet. I need to do that. I feel like I’m missing something in her storyline.

-It’s a tough fight. After we win, she seems to awaken. Like she wasn’t herself.


”Oh, Ququshu. So good to see you… I’ve started anew as an adventurer, just as I promised.”

She’s confused how she came to be here. “A robed figure.” An Ascian did this? Or someone else?

-Those 50 floors are all that exists for this first part of Palace of the Dead. The next floors open up, and they have a name: “Hellward.”

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-I opened up a quest series for the new friendly beast tribe, the Nonmind:


-I got a set of “Wild Rose” gear in the mail, hearkening back to FFII.


Firion!Ququshu.

-An adorable fat cat minion:


-An eagle/chicken mount?


-Did a really cool dungeon, the Dusk Vigil. It has a super creepy vibe to it. It’s an old fort that got destroyed in the Calamity. It has kind of a Moria feel, since we read the journal entries of a now dead and zombified aide before everyone in the fort got dead and zombified.

-This player has an awesome sword:


-A random cool player design/wardrobe:


-An FFIV reference:


Related question: was Namingway supposed to be a moogle? I didn’t think so, but he looks a bit like the FFXII moogle incarnation.

-Bards in XIV can play actual music! I came across this bard player having a jam session with her friends in one of the main cities:


-I completed chocobo flight! At least for one zone. (Flying mounts become available on a zone-by-zone basis.)


My friends and I flying for a group shot. I’m on the radioactive ghost. My favorite is the fat chocobo.

-A different player on a fat chocobo mount. <3


The best part is finding out which mounts actually have flying capabilities. My favorite discovery is the flying Christmas bear.


-My friend Raq has one of the best minions ever:


-Started playing around with the FFXII-style mark/hunt mini-game:


-Two chocobos dressed for winter:


-Look, this isn’t very important story-wise, but I got a kitty and a puppy.



-One of the odder mounts I’ve ever seen:


-The Golden Saucer has regular short events you can participate in called GATEs. Jumping puzzles, stuff like that. The graphic that pops up when you join a GATE is adorable:


-Visited some player houses and they’re AMAZING!


Carbuncle-themed house.


Chocobo-themed house.


Moogle-themed house.

---

Next time: moogles in Dravania.