Tuesday, February 20, 2018

FFT War of the Lions – Part 26: Unfortunate Son

Summary: Dycedarg and Adrammelech. Zalbaag stands, falls, “rises,” and falls again. The end of Marcel.


Errands and Rumors

-Whole mess of new errands at Limberry Castle.

-Zerro continues his heists, but this errand is “Zerro’s Final Heist.” So maybe this is the last of them.

-Discovered the Phantom Train lol.



-Got an Orb of Minwu that looks like a magatama.



Minwu was one of the more awesome characters from FFII.

---

Dorter

-Hit a fight at Dorter while wandering around. Hm. It wasn’t red on my map.

-A dude named Cletienne approaches “in Lord Folmarv’s stead.” So he’s on team Lucavi.

-Cletienne uses some kind of home-brewed time magick to freeze Ramza.

-He tries to blast me down, but it doesn’t work. A mysterious woman protects me and strikes back at him.

YAY MELIADOUL WITH THE SAVE! They used to be on the same team, but Meliadoul’s eyes have been opened.



-Cletienne summons some backup time mages and black mages. It’s scary until Orlandeau one-shots Cletienne with a Hallowed Bolt to the face.

---

Goug

-Another cutscene here, again with Mustadio and his dad and Ramza. There’s a spinning contraption that the dad’s been putting together.



-It reacts to auracite.

-There’s a mark on the device. It’s the Cancer sign. I’ll come back when I find that stone.

---

Errands and Rumors

-Found an “enchanted machinegun.” Too bad Mustadio can’t actually use it.



-A new errand from someone named Cattedona: “I am terribly shy. So much so that I have never had a real conversation with anyone. Please help me learn how to speak with other people.” YES. Like, I’m not the best teacher for this, but Balthier or Luso could probably take the lead.

-Red Materia! My rainbow of materia continues to grow.

-Okay, gone everywhere I can.

---

Eagrose Castle

-No guards again here. Ominous. Zalbaag’s chocobo is outside the castle.

-Inside, Zalbaag confronts Dycedarg. Go Zalbaag!



-Dycedaarg tries to justify himself, that Larg was weak, an unfit leader. Man, fuck off.

ZALBAAG: “Our liege lord’s murder bothers me not half so much as our father’s!” GET REKT. Caught.

-Dycedarg summons some knights to arrest Zalbaag.

-Our party intervenes, and takes out Dycedaarg quickly. My Orlandeau/Balthier combo is a powerhouse pair.

-Oh carp. He starts to transform. He’s now Adrammelech, the Wroth.



Looks a ton like the FFIV version of Ifrit.

ADRAMMELECH: “Fool of a brother! Heed well these words, the last your ears shall hear. Slain by my hand, our brother Barbaneth. This war had brought our house its chance to rule. He would but watch as hist’ry passed us by.”

-Adrammelech blasts Zalbaag. Not sure if that killed him, but sure looked like it.

-The second phase of the fight begins, against Adrammelech alone.

-…I think I might be overleveled. We got so many turns (without any sort of speed buffs) that we just took him out before he could act.

ADRAMMELECH: “Angel of Blood, High Seraph… come too late…” See ya, bud.

-Ramza fears House Beoulve is no more, but… you’re House Beoulve!

-The search for Alma continues.

-A new spot on the map opens up: Mullonde. The formerly sunken city.

-Checked my artefacts. Dycedarg dropped the Capricorn stone, not the Cancer stone.



Goug will have to wait.

---

Mullonde

-Quick note: I’ve kind of slacked off on building up my main party’s abilities. I just feel like I’m sort of okay at the moment, and want to push forward on story. I don’t want to grind Orlandeau through all the jobs to dragoon just so he can get Ignore Elevation.

It’d certainly make him more powerful, but… god, that’s so much grinding. I will if I need to, but not before.

-The scene is inside a church. High Confessor Marcel is… being stabbed? Wow. Folmarv just impaled him.

-I really thought the High Confessor would be somehow associated with the Lucavi. It’s looking more and more like he’s just interested in worldly power, unaware of the otherworldly elements.



-Folmarv hasn’t killed Marcel just yet. He offers to spare him from a fatal blow if Marcel tells him the entrance to “the necrohol.”

-He accepts. The “necrohol” is beneath Orbonne. Must be even deeper than we went, cause we went pretty deep.

-It’s sealed. Marcel doesn’t know how to break the seal.

-Folmarv walks away. One of his companions, Funebris, finishes off Marcel. RIP.

---

Mullonde Cathedral

-We arrive at the front of the cathedral. They won’t let us in – of course they won’t! We’re “the heretic.”

-Ignore Elevation is kind of hilarious. Ramza just leaps to the top of the cathedral.

-We continue pushing into the Mullonde Cathedral Nave. Folmarv awaits here.

-I really like the colors and aesthetic of this room btw.



Has some of the ornate design I loved about FFXII.

-Folmarv demands that Ramza give up the Scriptures and his seven million pieces of auracite in exchange for Alma. Ramza seems willing. He gives up the scriptures, but holds the stones until we get Alma.

-Folmarv’s bud, Loffrey, takes the scriptures of Germonique.

“It is written here. A surprisingly simple incantation.” Shit. They attack. (Though being real, there was 0% chance they’d honor the deal.)

-Ramza wants to know why they didn’t kill Alma. I feel pretty confident in the reason.

-Took out Folmarv. He escapes with the rest of his buddies. They’re probably heading for Orbonne.

-I thought thatw as it, but we head to the Mullonde Cathedral Sanctuary. Folmarv just moved deeper inside.

-He’s doing some ritual.

FOLMARV: “I suppose you must be returned to the Father after all. My thralls will delight to guide you to His keeping.”

-He summons a few demons. And conjures up Zombie Zalbaag before leaving us.

-Zalbaag’s job is Ark Knight.

-Ah dammit, Zalbaag’s not even a full zombie. He retains consciousness, a semblance of awareness of his actions.



-We take him out, but it feels awful. Poor Zalbaag.

-Scene change inside the cathedral. Marcel is somehow still alive, even with a sword in his back.



-With his dying words, he tells Ramza to go to Orbonne Monastery.

---

Next time: Orbonne.