Saturday, January 26, 2019

FFXIII – Part 29: Yellow and Green

Summary: Chocobo riding and digging. Sazh and the cactuars. Cie’th stone missions through #17.

---

-A chocobo is chilling by a save point in the Archylte Steppe. Can’t use it still.

-I JUST noticed that the glowing Cie’th stones on my map are the ones that I haven’t completed yet. (I think?) That makes finding where to go next way easier.

-Hunt #13 is for a Goblin Chieftan. What the heck? I can’t find the red mark for her anywhere on the map.

*forty minutes of wandering and searching later*

OH GOOD LORD, I FORGOT TO ACTUALLY ACCEPT THE MISSION. No wonder I couldn’t find the mark.

-Some of what I now know are oretoises guard treasure chests. I tried fighting one of the little ones. While I wasn’t one-shot, it still stomped me pretty handily, even staying defensive the whole time.


I want treasure… but not that much.

-I like how for the first time in the FF series, goblins are introduced in the endgame instead of as intro enemies.

-While I’m here, going to try completing the teleporter mission, #17. A bit ahead. Hopefully I’m not obliterated?

-Got it! A Pulsework Champion. This activates the teleport stone, so no Walk of Shame to the #13 stone.

-I’m strong enough now to take on Behemoth Kings sometimes. 4,000 CP per kill – gotta keep that in mind if I decide to farm at some point.

-Hunt #14: “Defender of the Flock.” Sahagin threaten the chocobo lagoon.

“The great and merciful fal’Cie heard my plea, and granted me the power to save them. I may never be able to feel the warmth of their golden down, but I can think of no happier way to spend eternity than watching over them from the water’s edge.”

FHDJKLSFHDJKLSFHDSKLFDHLSK WE MUST PROTECT THEM

-I arrive back at the Font of Nava (chocobo lagoon) to find them under attack.



Omg Sazh’s chocobo is pisssssed. He lets out an angry chirp.


SAZH: “Hurry the what up?”

lololol the mouth on that bird

-The sahagin continue to be nasty. I win, but I think I’d have an easier time if I bring in Fang to slow them.

-New rank: Feathered Friend. Best rank.

-I CAN NOW MOUNT CHOCOBOS WITH THE GYSAHL REINS (nice play on Gysahl Greens)



-If a chocobo contacts an enemy, it loses morale. Enough morale and it flees.

-There’s a chocobo digging game. I loved the hell out of that in FFIX. Not the same, but it retains a hot-and-cold element.


I love the ridiculously serious the chocobo portrait.

-The riding music interesting. More complex than usual.

-Found my first item on a chocobo, a Gold Nugget. Ho ho!!! Sells for 60,000 gil. Used the money to buy a Perovskite and upgrade Fang’s bladed lance into a Glaive.

-I have three gameplay choices now. In priority order for me:

1) Chocobo treasure hunting
2) Cie’th stone missions
3) Story progress

-CACTUAR SIGHTING!, Hola, GraciaLsgc! I’m exploring Archylte Steppe as much as I can and got a sudden cutscene where a cactuar bounces around.



-Something about the cactuar pisses Sazh off lol. He tries to catch it but it runs away.

-…like two feet away. I can fight it. It’s sturdy without hitting that hard. Fairly easy 4,000 CP.

-No doubt that the mustachioed big bro will show up at some point to beat the crap out of me.


A turtle-filled patch of hell.

-Finding a lot of great stuff in this hunt! Transformational catalysts, gold nuggets, a crown accessory.

-Found a second cactuar just wandering around. I wonder if this’ll be like FFVI, where killing a specific number of cactuars summons the big guy.

-Doesn’t seem like it. I’ve killed a bunch, and the little guys keep respawning so I don’t think it’s a matter of killing specific cactuars in the zone.

-The ominous circle of inactive Cie’th stones in the Steppe scares me.



-Never mind. I just found Mission #54, “The Bigger They Are…” Gigantaur. I’m reasonably sure this will one-shot me, but I’ll try it? Why not.

-lolol I love how it’s quickly developed a teasing relationship with Sazh



Sazh is like an old man yelling at that mangy mutt to get off his lawn.

-YUP! Immediate death. He one-shots me with a 4k “10,000 Needles.” I’ll try this later.

-I’ve done a decent once-over of the Highlands, searching for chocobo treasure. Completed through Mission #17 (a bunch of goblins and sahagins) and can’t find any new Cie’th stones near my level. Can’t use chocobos to dig back in prior zones on Gran Pulse.

Finally ready to move on and see what awaits in the next zone.

---

Next time: the maw past the Archylte Steppe.