Tuesday, January 12, 2021

FFXIV – Part 233: The Pirate’s Code [Rogue 1-30]

Summary: Joining the rogue’s guild, upholding Limsa Lominsa’s honor-among-thieves code via knifework. Maybe my favorite 1-30 quest line.

---

My First Daggers

-The guild is set up as a rough-and-tumble group of stabbers. No cat burglars here.

-Initially, Limsa was lawless. Now there’s at least an honor-among-thieves type code. Don’t steal from Lominsans, don’t skimp when spreading spoils among your crew, and no human trafficking.

The guild enforces it, led by a dude named Jacke. He has a deliciously roguey flavor to his dialogue.

---

A Dainty Dilemma

-Limsa is full of pirates. The admiral makes it all work by certifying those who agree to serve the city as “privateers,” so long as they only terrorize Garlean vessels.

I’m writing this during 5.3 of Shadowbringers. I wonder if this will change should we reach peace with them.


Team Rogue at HQ.

-Anyway, I’m given my first job with the rogue guild. Some pirate tried to rook his fellows out of earned spoils. I get a mentor, a pirate Lalafell named Perimu Haurimu.

---

Stifled Screams

-A request arrives from the Admiral. Someone was recently found who escaped a life of slavery, and some local pirates did it who clearly broke the code. The pirates are the Jolly Merchants.



TIME FOR SOME KNIFING

-Satisfying af. I get to use my “Hide” ability to sneak past guards and knife the heck out of the captors.

-After taking them out, we finish off their back-ups. Real shits.

JACKE: “We’re the ones what the scary folk are afraid of. An’ that’s ‘cause we keep the rules for the world they live in.”

-Some officials clearly like and respect this, but we meet a Yellowjacket (Limsa guard) who despises us as relics of the past.


Milala.

I immediately like her. We’ll be best of frenemies.

-And it starts the way most frenemyships start: competition. A naval ship was recently looted, so it’s a race between us and the Yellowjackets to see who can reacquire the stolen goods first.

---

Grinners in the Mist

-The stolen loot includes a couple of jewels, plus some mysterious artifact called the Black Sarcophagus.

-I like how these rogue quests incorporate the rogue’s “Hide” ability to make it feel sneaky as I eavesdrop for info.

At the same, it cracks me up to see my Lalinator 5.H0 dwarf minion and my big ol’ chocobo buddy hanging around my “hiding” self.


Ququshu being “sneaky.”
 

-Sounds like a group called the Grinning Curs is behind this. (I love how flavorful the pirate names are.)

-It’s maraudin’ time! We track the Curs ship, hop aboard, and take em out.


Rogues have wonderfully acrobatic combat animations.

They had one of the loot pieces on board, the Cerulean Star. The other two? No luck.

-The Curs were apparently just pawns of the Bloody Executioners, joining up with them out of a belief that piracy should be central to Limsa Lominsa rather than the past.

This is really interesting. As I write this, I just completed the 5.4 main story quest that dealt with (and resolved) this conflict. Interesting to see how it was brewing in the background this whole time.

The Grinning Curs have real philosophical problems with the rogue guild. They see us as traitors to piracy, just lapdogs of the Admiral.

---

Sweet Sorrows

-The two treasures left are the Silver Sorrows and the Black Sarcophagus.

-The captain of the Bloody Executioners, Captain Hyllfyr, is ill. A power struggle is taking place, and one faction called the Reformists wants to break free of Limsa Lominsa altogether.

-We learn of the pirates about to sell the Sorrows (earrings) to an Ul’dah buyer.

-Again, we break up the deal. With MURDER.

Unfortunately, Milala takes this round. She was able to use official diplomatic means to disrupt the deal even before we started.

---

Market for Death

-Apparently, the Black Sarcophagus is an old magitek mine prototype. Not what I expected. (I was thinking it’d be some mystical thing that’d unlock the ninja quest line after we got it.)

-A message directs us to a meet, but it’s a trap. They killed our inside connection and lured us to get killed ourselves. (Too bad I’m an MMO protagonist.)

-OH SHIT, IT WAS A DIVERSION – the Executioners are looking to use the Sarcophagus to blow up Admiral Merlwyb!



These old quests are kinda funny. I can still feel invested through suspension of disbelief, even though I know that in Shadowbringers Merlwyb is clearly still alive lol.

---

Cloying Victory

-I like how the sheer level of the threat here forces us to team up with the Yellowjackets, at least in spirit.

-We patrol around Limsa on the lookout for anything suspicious. The night is foggy. What a mood.

-Scene change over to Milala. Who gets AXED BY AN EXECUTIONER WTFFF.


Disarmed.

Wait. This is FFXIV. This game doesn’t let characters die.  

-Yeah. She’s just wounded. (From an axe to the face.) The rogues and I find her with a healer on the way. Of course.

-Still, the Upright Rogues are here. We storm the citadel and take out the attacking pirates.


Team Rogue about to jump into action.

It actually takes me two attempts. I got so focused on just killing the pirates at first that I neglected to disarm the bombs. Oops. In that alternate reality, RIP Admiral Merlwyb.

-Later, Milala walks out of the medical room to an adoring crowd. Cheering her name, and hailing the Yellowjackets as saviors of the city.

Milala: “But, wait… That’s not how it…”

-She starts to defend us, worrying about our safety…



…LOL UNTIL SHE REALIZES JACKE STOLE THE SILVER SORROWS EARRING FROM HER WHILE SHE LAY DYING ON THE GROUND XD

I love that we end this questline still as rogue.

What an awesome quest!! This is probably tied with thaumaturge for my favorite 1-30 quest line. Felt impactful on the world, fit the theme and feeling of the rogue, the characters and flavor were great, Milala and Jacke are the best… big fan all around.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-The “Mug” ability gives me a chance to get extra loot. It makes sense against humanoid enemies, but makes less sense when I mugged this antelope:


-Some great player names I’ve seen recently:

Bibidee Booheim
Nancy Walker
Penny’s Boat
Squeaky Ragecat
Healing Trash
De Busy
Froof Tonksbearer
Desert Noob
Forgotten Kid
Pokyah Booteh
Ardbert’s Spirit
Bloodiest Blade
Cat-lover Dog-lover
Clifford Red’dog

---

Next time: the ninja 30-50 quest line.