Thursday, June 15, 2017

FFXI – Part 94: Shattered Memories

Summary: Lilisette has been shattered into memories scattered by Atomos. Time to put those pieces back together.




Mission: Adieu, Lilisette (Wings of the Goddess)

-Fuck this mission name.

-I return to San d’Oria and see Cait Sith. SHE’S SO SAD AND LAUNCHES HERSELF INTO MY ARMS



-The timeline has change since losing Lilisette. For instance, we see a Troupe Mayakov dance practice, and Mayakov calls the absent Portia “the Moonshade Butterfly.” That was Lilisette’s nickname.

-Mayakov no longer recognizes me. I’m being erased from memories here. My future is disappearing.

-Lilisette and I were the wings of the Goddess, champions of the dawn. We’re a piece short.

-Cait Sith and I will return to Xarcabard to see if there’s anything we can do.

---

Mission: By the Fading Light (Wings of the Goddess)

-We find some survivors among the destroyed Allied Forces. A last ditch charge on the Shadow Lord.

-Then Team Lilith arrives. “I am Lady Lilith, Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces of Vana’diel.”

-The Allied general laughs this off. Lilith proceeds to mock him as an old fool who should quit.

This is the general who exiled Sir Ragelise. Screw him.

-Lilith addresses the general’s soldiers. Says that she’s come from the future to set the world right.



“Pledge unto me your undying loyalty, and I shall deliver you to a future of everlasting glory.”

-The soldiers – including Adelheid – are intrigued. They’re desperate, on the verge of defeat.

-Lilith moves into the soldiers’ midst, approaching one soldier. What would he sacrifice for his cause? He says everything.

“Then I trust you shan’t balk at bearing the yoke of immortality.” She touches him, giving him that purple Odin mark.

-He convulses - “This power surging from within… it’s magnificent!” – and dies.



Couldn’t handle it. Lilith appeals only to those with the strongest bodies and minds.

-Like Sir Ragelise. He reveals himself by Lilith’s side, to the shocked crowd.

-What do Cait Sith and I do now? Raw force won’t be enough. Cait Sith has a brilliant idea.

We need another piece. We need to find and bring back Lilisette. A direct appeal to Atomos.

---

Mission: Edge of Existence (Wings of the Goddess)

-Cait Sith and I go through a Maw to speak with Atomos.

-Lilisette is now scattered as memories. She is now in the Walk of Echoes, with all disposable memories.

-Spitewarden Lurzos finds us! He attacks, and Cait Sith does all she can to stall him.



It’s up to me to find Lilisette’s memories. I head into the Walk.

-Atomos addresses me: “The memories of the girl have been scattered. Go forth, faithful child of Altana. Find that which you seek. None can decide the future. No man, no god.”

-He teleports me away to seek the scattered memories.

---

Mission: Her Memories – First Fragment (Wings of the Goddess)

[Later edit: This next series of quests is hard to describe. Essentially, I go back through the world retracing recent thing Lilisette did. Quests, interactions, etc. As I go through, I actually SEE Lilisette’s flashbacks along with those she interacted with. Those people no longer remember her, but we always see them talking to her.]

-I start the search in San d’Oria. As I enter, I get a flashback of Lilisette strolling through town recently.

-Monarlais Halver last time told us about the Galka who laid flowers by the grave. He reminds me of this, and when I go back to the grave I find Larzos.

-He invites me to share my story, and he understands that I want to rescue someone I care about.

-Light flashes, and we both see a Lilisette flashback. Kneeling before the grave.

“Having mother taken away before my eyes… Returning to San d’Oria to a father who didn’t know me… All of it was simply too much to bear. But I had Detolilla and Cait Sith beside me… I wasn’t alone.”



This is heartbreaking. The memory grants me a “tiny memory fragment.” The first piece of the puzzle.

-Next, I go to the cathedral in San d’Oria. A man is repenting for his callous treatment of a “red-haired maiden.”

-His name is Bertenont. He was immediately attracted to her and approached her. Saw that she looked sad, and begged her to share with him.

-She did. She told him that’ she was a time traveling Champion of the Dawn fighting enemies from an alternate reality.

-Then, he fucked up. He laughed. AND SHE TEARS INTO HIM



“I don’t believe this! You beg me to share my burden, and I oblige you for what? To have you rain spittle on me with your laughter!? Farewell, and Atomos take you!”

-He’s now genuinely repentant. “Whether there was truth to her words was immaterial. The point is, she believed in the genuineness of her tale. It was cruel to make light of her as I did.”

-He just wishes he had the chance to beg her forgiveness. He asks me for her name. How about no? Repentant or not, I don’t want to give her info out without her consent.

-Dammit. The game needs me to say yes to progress. Grr. Another tiny memory fragment appears.

-Next up is a bar in San d’Oria. The barman has me bring some bean soup to an old woman. The soup reminds the woman of a little girl who used to join her “tastings.”

-The barman remembers Lilisette coming by recently to try the food. Flashback. She called it a bit too salty, and he yelled at her.



He regrets it. “Many of my better-loved dishes owe their existence to her. She was undeserving of my anger. It shames me still to think of my unseemly behavior that day.”

Another memory fragment. These three small fragments coalesce into a larger one.

---

Quest: Her Memories – Of Malign Maladies [Second Fragment] (Wings of the Goddess)

-I go back to the old woman who helped make Sir Ragelise’s medicine in San d’Oria. “Folk hereabouts know all too well that Sir Ragelise and Lady Portia never had children.” Still hurts to see that.

-Lilisette was working on a full cure to Ragelise’s curse/wound. I retrace her steps.



-Lots of travel. I find a book she read in Windurst, plant a flower in the past, and deliver it (just like she did) to San d’Oria.

It didn’t work.

RAGELISE: “The knowledge alone that your thoughts are with me lends me strength.”

---

Quest: Her Memories – Operation Cupid (Wings of the Goddess)

-I head next to past Batallia Downs, and see Portia and Lilisette skipping dance practice.



LILI: “Doesn’t it bother you that something… unsavory might develop between those two?” Sounds like Lili’s trying to keep Ragelise from another woman.

-Next up, Jeuno. The guard: “I see you’re without your companion today. No, wait. As I recall, you always traveled alone.”

-The Knights of the Red Rose are here in Jeuno, led by Noillurie. She needs more food supplies, some wasabi-filled rice balls, so I find a goblin to make some.

As I give the goblin supplies for the rice balls, I see a flashback to Lilisette getting a “Voicelator” from that same goblin. Some sort of mischief coming no doubt.

-I deliver the rice balls to Jeuno and see a flashback of Lilisette with the “Voicelator.” She uses it to fake Noillurie’s voice and order some rice balls sent to Batallia Downs. Not sure why yet, but a prank call.

-I go to Batallia Downs. Curious to see how this prank ends.

-I deliver the rice balls to Noillurie. In the flashback though, I see Ragelise riding with Noillurie. There’s some major sexual tension in the air between these too. No wonder Lilisette was worried for Portia.

LOLOL SO THAT’S WHY LILISETTE PRANK-ORDERED THE RICE BALLS – These two were all “Wow, I so rarely get to spend time alone with you. It’s wonderful!” and in comes this poor subordinate delivering food and interrupting their alone time. Lili is such a frigging troll.



-As Noillurie deals with the sudden rice ball delivery, Ragelise sees Lilisette waving in the distance. She lures him over a hill to Portia.



-LILISETTE SET UP HER OWN PARENTS <3

-Though I’m sad that Noillurie got “blocked.” I really like her.

In the present, the same beleaguered subordinate who delivered the prank rice balls to Noillurie in the flashback arrives with the food, albeit too late for Noillurie’s taste.



NOILLURIE: “Spare me your excuses. Be reminded that this isn’t the first time you’ve vexed me in matters pertaining to rice balls.”

I AM PRIVILEGED TO PLAY THIS VIDEO GAME

-This gives me Lilisette’s third memory fragment. One more to go.

---

Quest: Her Memories – Azure Footfalls (Wings of the Goddess)

-The last fragment quest requires me to go to Bastok.

-This is unexpected. In the memory, she wants to join the legion I joined without me knowing. Her test mission is to deliver supplies to North Gustaberg.

-Hee! She’s went through the same starting quest as I did. Delivering supplies and saving a stolen missive from Quadav hands.



-She turns in her quest back at headquarters, and has a friendly interaction with the jovial Galka leader. Despite her success on the mission… he denies her entry!

He intuits that she only wants to join the Seventh Cohors to follow in my footsteps and help me.

“Take my advice. If you’re truly of a mind to help Detolilla, don’t just go blindly followin’ her footsteps. Keep to your own path, and work towards becomin’ the person that only you can be. That’s how you build the foundation for an unbeatable team.”

DAMN STRAIGHT. Not just an unbeatable team. A Future Fabulous team.

---



Next time: Hang on, Lilisette. I’m coming for you.