Tuesday, December 26, 2017

FFT War of the Lions – Part 11: Under the Cardinal’s Wing

Summary: Party paring. A new artefact. Balias Tor and Lionel Castle. Dycedaarg twirls his mustache.


-I want to reduce my active party members, to have a smaller but more flexible roster. For instance, instead of leveling and gearing one character as a black mage and another as summoner, I’ll just have my black mage learn some summoning.

Maybe it’s a bad idea. We’ll see how it goes.

---

Active Roster

Ramza: Mostly monk. Geomancer next.

Eadbert: Archer. Thief stuff next.

Guston: Mystic. Started adding orator, but I’m not a huge fan of its inconsistency. Will work towards time mage.

Millicent: Chemist. This is super good and I’m reluctant to move off it, but I think adding some time magick or white magick will help.

Diamanda: Knight. Maybe build some other physical tools, like archer. Or wait, even better – monk! I like some of the support tools monk has for martial arts.

Lauda: Dragoon, and mix in other physical stuff from thief and others.

Josephine: White Mage. I’ll have my plate full with her for a while just building white magick. Not sure what I want to support it yet.

Randwulf: Black Mage. Start working on summoner too.


I love the summoner’s unicorn horn.

Boco: CHOCOBO! HE’S A CHOCOBO I have a bunch of black chocobos in my party with more abilities, but tbh I can’t bring myself to not use Boco. He’s Boco. C’mon.

---

Welcome to BENCHVILLE!

I won’t dismiss these “benched” characters outright. I could be dead wrong about this approach. Maybe I’ll run into a 20 person fight at some point, and I don’t want to have to start fresh.)

-Braya (orator)
-Frances (thief)
-Morys (monk/geomancer)
-Bertana (time mage)
-Ladd (archer)
-Alicia (monk)
-Lavian (black mage)

---

Errands

-Two new errands appear in the Castled City of Zaland.

-Btw, still haven’t seen the poacher’s den from the tutorial. I checked a lot, too – checked all the towns and even the Brigand’s Den from way back west, but no luck.

-The first is “The Hindenburg.” The Hindenburg was a trade ship that went down. We need to help salvage it.

-The errand will take 8-15 days. I’m not sure what the risk/reward is to this. I’ll err on the side of giving them more time. 15 days. Let’s see how it goes.

-Successful errand. A good amount of gil (26k), but even better, lots of JP! 155, 161, and 139. 
 
-The next: “Zaland Embassy Antiques.” A ship containing valuables donated to the Zaland Embassy went down. Again, we have to salvage the ship.

-We found another relic! The Veil of Wiyu.



-It’s a book describing “momentous events… [in] the life of a woman now all but forgotten.” This feels like a reference to something.

-The chronicle entry says “Acquired 5 Libra.” Not sure what this means yet.

[Non-rhetorical question: is there anything special about Boco beyond his name? The chocobos spawned from eggs are always higher level, so I’m tempted to just use the highest level chocobo and dismiss the rest. I’m just hesitant to do this since I found Boco specifically in a battle.

Basically, would I regret specifically dismissing Boco? (beyond the emotional pain of dismissing a chocobo named “Boco “lol.]


-By the way, I’m not sure whether I want to applaud or hate the game’s creators for including this kind of language when I dismiss a chocobo, but it’s kind of brilliant.



I actually felt guilty dismissing this poor fella.

-I only have five jobs still locked: samurai, ninja, arithmetician, bard, and dancer.

---

Balias Tor

-A group of mercenaries approaches us for Mustadio.

-Cool! An enemy summoner cast Ifrit, the first summon I’ve seen. He looks awesome, and does solid damage without one-shotting me.



-I want to get to the summoners and archers in the back, but I also don’t want to overextend. So I take what they give me, swarm their front line, and heal up.

-We defeat them. But even now, Mustadio won’t tell us what’s up.  

---

Meanwhile, at Eagrose Castle…

-Dycedaarg is speaking with Gaffgarion. “Our little mockingbird is taken wing.” Must be talking about the Princess.

-Holy shit. Dycedaarg is a straight-up supervillain!



His music is supervillainy too. It’s like instead of being at Eagrose Castle he’s marching on the frigging Death Star.

-He has harsh words for Ramza too. He thought Ramza was just getting “not being a noble asshole” out of his system.

-Dycedaarg isn’t worried about us heading to the church. He has a plan.

-Gaffgarion wants to get in good with Dycedaarg, but I don’t think that’ll work.



-OH GOD NO NO NO

DYCEDAARG: “As long as Ovelia remains with Lady Agrias, we will have chance enough to steal back our prize.”

This means one of two possible bad things to me: either he has leverage over Agrias (bad), or Agrias is a traitor to the Princess (woooorse).

---

Lionel Castle

-Our party arrives, led by Agrias. Agrias Oaks.

-We meet the Cardinal and lay out our situation. He’s willing to help, to get us a meeting with the High Confessor (who I assume is like Ivalice Pope?).

-He also agrees to help Mustadio and send his troops against the Baert Trading Company… as long as he comes clean.



-Mustadio is reluctant. The Cardinal brings out a crystal, and brings up the topic of the Zodiac Braves. (In FFXIV, I’m part of the Crystal Braves. This may be a reference.)

-The story goes that long ago, the Lucavi ruled the world. (Bad guys.) Twelve heroes exiled the Lucavi to the spirit world. The twelve each bore an auracite crystal, “emblazoned with a house of the night sky.” A zodiac sign.

Those Twelve heroes hence were the Zodiac Braves. Their crystals are the Zodiac Stones. That’s what the Cardinal has on the table right now.

-And apparently, these crystals are even now keeping the Lucavi at bay. Current prediction: the Lucavi will end up being the Big Bads of FF Tactics. Or maybe someone like Dycedaarg will try to harness their power, like Emperor Gestahl did with the three gods.

-The story terrifies Mustadio. He saw a crystal like this below Goug. Ludovich Baert seeks the auracite, wants to weaponize it.

-Two new areas open up on the world map. The second one is “The Clockwork City of Goug,” which is suuuuuper exciting to me.

---

Next time: Pushing onto Goug. I feel much happier with my party set-up too, now that I don’t have to level up like 73 party members.