Sunday, December 10, 2017

FFXIV – Part 28: Crossover

Summary: Crossover events with Final Fantasy XI and Dragon Quest X. Ixali beast tribe quests. ---
 
The Maiden’s Rhapsody (Final Fantasy XI Crossover)

-A few days ago, my friend told me that there was a seasonal quest in FFXIV. I put it in the back of my mind for a bit, mostly focusing on Tactics and crafting in FFXIV.

Then when getting to a fishing spot, I came across one of those FATE public quests. This was different from other FATEs.



-THAT’S THE FFXI LOGO.

-FFXI wasn’t my favorite game, but I have a huge amount of love for it. I spend hundreds of hours in that world, with its stories and characters, so I got this sugary jolt of nostalgia on seeing it.

-The quest starts in Limsa Lominsa, “A Journey to Remember.” Maybe she accidentally quantum leapt to Eorzea.

My best love and friend, Shantotto, sits in the corner of the quest journal logo. The evil, jolly Tarutaru.



-There are rumors of a warrior maiden from the Far East. Iroha was from the Far East, a character from FFXI’s “Rhapsodies of Vana’diel” storyline. She was an involuntary time traveler. Makes sense she’d accidentally get sent here.

-I head to Costa del Sol, and THERE SHE IS!!!!



IROHA: “Can you tell me if we are close to Selbina? Or perhaps Mhaura? I fear I am hopelessly lost.”

-She washed up here, lost her memories, and is trying to recall her Master’s teachings. (Her Master in FFXI was the player character.)

-We do a FATE together to help her remember her training, then head to Limsa Lominsa.

-She found a stone in that FATE. It gives her a memory of the FRIGGING SHADOW LORD! THE FIRST MAIN FFXI BOSS!



-Another training FATE, another stone discovered. Next memory… HI PRISHE!!!!

-Next FATE, we fight the legendary Serket. A zone boss from FFXI recreated here in Eorzea.

-Her next recovered memory: “A mortal struggle… Forbidden magicks uttered in a final bid for salvation.” Fenrir the wolf.

IROHA: “It all makes sense now. The pitched battles, the arduous journeys, the fellowship of adventurers… it was not my life that I recalled, but rather the tales of a great hero I mistook as myself.” She was seeing the player character’s memories.

-One final FATE. The enemy is a brutal pair from FFXI: Spotter and the Dread Dragon.


FFXI version.


FFXIV version.

They gave me enough trouble in FFXI that I had to find random people to help me. They became my friends. I joined their linkshell and partied with them many times in FFXI. No way I would’ve enjoyed FFXI or seen nearly as much of the story without their help.

-Iroha had a really rough life. She survived the apocalypse in FFXI. She was literally the only surviving human in a world destroyed by the Cloud of Darkness. Then Phoenix sent her back in time to change the past.

I really like her. Glad I got to see her again. 
 
EEEEE!!! As she says farewell, we see the intro to FFXI. “It all began with a stone, or so the story goes.”

-IT’S AN FFXI MONTAGE!!

LION! PRISHE! SHANTOTTO!



THE VILLAINS OF FFXI! SHADOW LORD! PROMATHIA! THE TWINS!

-THIS IS SO FREAKING COOL AND I HAVE CHILLS

-It also reminds me just how many amazing women FFXI gave me. Heroes and villains both.



“[That world] may be a dream, but it is one I shall never forget.” Well said.

-There she goes. I hope she finds her way back. Phoenix will make it happen.


My reward for the quest is Iroha’s gear.

---

Breaking Brick Mountain (Dragon Quest X Crossover)

-I’m not very familiar with this series, but I played Dragon Warrior on the NES a bit as a kid. I recognize the golem-type monsters popping up around the world now for this crossover event from that game.




-These golems have started popping up all over. The Amajina & Sons Mineral Concern has hired me to investigate it.

-The main quest dude here is hilariously named a “Beefy Businessman.” I’m not sure what it’s referencing in Dragon Warrior, but it’s pretty awesome.



-I go off to fight a pretty tough Stone Golem and retrieve his quite profitable body for the Beefy Businessman.

-He wants to “reward” me and summons some women that the game is clearly signaling to be sex workers.



-Like, tons of kissy-faces, heart motifs, and wildly uncomfortable zoom-ins on the womens’ breasts. Come on, game. Do better.

-They’re offering me “puff-puff.” Uhhhhhh.

-Ah. It’s a bait-n-switch. They don’t mean anything sexual. They mean rubbing little tribble-type things on me, which does sound awesome.



[Non-rhetorical question: are the Beefy Businessman and the puff-puff things both Dragon Warrior X characters?]


The mini-golem and Beefy Businessman’s helmet as quest rewards.

-And that’s it!  

---

The Ehcatl Nine (Ixal quests)

-The first three beast tribe quests seem battle-focused, but the next quest set I find on a friend’s suggestion is the Ixali, the lizard-bird-types. They require me to have a Disciple of the Hand (trade-craft) job.

-The Ixali direct me to a workshop nearby.

-The Lalafell master at the workshop is Tataramu. I wonder if he’s related to the delighted Lalafell back in the Ul’dah adventurer’s guild, Tataru.

-LOLOL THE IXALI CALLS TATARAMU “SMALL, ANGRY, FEATHERLESS ONE”

-The Ixali’s starting quest for me is to help build components for their new airship. But it’s not an airship of war – it’s one of exploration! Vertical exploration, specifically.



SEZUL TOTOLOC: “Ayatlan… floating continent of legends, it is! High, high above clouds. Place where Sezul’s ancestors once lived.”

Nothing says Final Fantasy quite like trying to build an airship to reach a floating continent. True as far back as Final Fantasy I.

-The design and naming of the Ixal seems to draw on Aztec language/design. I wonder if the mythical floating continent is tied to that too, or if that’s purely about them being bird-people.



-Yay! Tataramu is inspired by this quest of religious engineering, and wants now to help them.

-There really is something beautiful here. The Ehcatl Nine see most of the Ixal groveling before the bloodthirsty Garuda in the hopes that one day she might grant them new wings. Instead, this faction will avoid the sacrifice and bloodshed, and make their own wings.

---

Next time: FINALLY returning to the main storyline, and pushing to get all my crafting jobs up to 50.