Thursday, December 28, 2017

FFXIV – Part 31: Starlight Celebration

Summary:The Ascians kidnap Minfilia. Not!Christmas in Eorzea.


A New Path

My crafting jobs are currently at level 50, the pre-Heavensward (the first expansion) cap. It was a lot of fun, and I’m glad I got to explore those, but the cost of pushing so hard on crafting is that I left off the main story for a while. Hell, the last time I posted a session dealing with the main story was November 12th. Before that, it was October 13th.

I don’t exactly regret it. I’m glad I got to explore that side of the game! But I don’t plan to do that again until I finish the main story.

A lot of it is about the mindset to approach an MMO. This is not a game intended to be done in a “completionist” way. You have to pick and choose what to spend your time on. Even now, there’s SO MUCH I have left to do!

A small sampling:

-Combat job leveling
-hard mode dungeons
-achievements
-Gold Saucer mini-games
-“squads” (not sure what this is, but it’s related to Grand Companies somehow)
-FFXII-style hunts/bounties

Here’s my plan going forward: I’ll focus on the main story as much as I can – doing the time-limited seasonal quests along the way) until I complete the main story.

However, a lot of the story quests require a group. So when I reach those stopping points, I’ll chip away at extra solo content that FFXIV has to offer. The next couple of things I have in mind:

1) continue leveling up archer to 25, then bard to 50
2) try hunts

But for now… back to the story!

---

The Rising Chorus

-Last time, we defeated the ancient dragon Midgardsormr, but he stripped me of Hydaelyn’s blessing and bound me to him instead. His projection/spirit now follows me and spouts ominous words.



-I report back into Scions HQ, especially about Midgardsormr’s prophecy:

“My people have heard the song. Ishgard shall burn.”

-We warn the Ishgardian representative of the threat. She thinks this’ll just be another in a long line of Dravanian (dragon-worshipper) assaults that they’ll weather. I’m not so sure.

---

Aether on Demand

-We pause the Ishgard plot and turn to the Ascians. Moenbryda has been developing a weapon to trap an Ascian’s soul, using white auracite.

OH SHIT, IT’s A REFERENCE! I just learned about auracite in FF Tactics, since I just met Mustadio.



-Anyway, once we trap the Ascian, we need a burst of pure aether to destroy it.

-The corrupted crystals that dot the Mor Dhona landscape have tons of aether. Moenbryda is investigating a way to tap their power from afar.

---

An Uninvited Ascian

-I meet Moenbryda in the field. I really love her character. She’s a scholar, but one built like a tank who loves kicking ass with her axe.

-She can now siphon aether from crystals. Next, to forge an aether blade.

-An Ascian named Nabriales interrupts us. I think we met him briefly once.



-Moenbryda leaps with a massive axe strike at him. He literally stops her with his finger.

NABRIALES: “Shorn of Light as you are, you are no longer a threat. And better yet, the seal is broken.”

He senses that my Light blessing is gone. Maybe the seal he’s talking about contains Zodiark?

-lol or not. Nabriales says it a “staff” is now unsealed. If he gets this staff, whatever it is, he’ll be “Lord Zodiark’s right-hand man.” He leaves.

*brb, “Hamilton” break*

-Moenbryda thinks the staff is Tupsimati, Louisoix’s old staff. Minfilia has it back at Scion HQ.

-We rush back to Scion HQ. Nabriales is already there, threatening Minfilia. He’s the one behind the destruction of the Isle of Val, of which Krile is the lone survivor.

-Moenbryda attacks again, and he blasts her out of the air.



GAME, YOU BETTER NOT HAVE JUST FUCKING KILLED MOENBRYDA. YOU BETTER NOT.

-Though Minfilia kept Tupsimati just as a memorial to her grandfather Louisoix, it has real power. Tupsimati can draw vast quantities of aether.

-He wants to kill her to take the staff, but Elidibus (another Ascian) won’t let her. Hm. Perhaps Elidibus has some relation to Louisoix.

-Nabriales opens a void portal and sucks Minfilia in, kidnapping her.



I pursue.

---

Starlight Celebration (seasonal quest)

-I’ll come back to the main story later. For now, it’s CHRISTMAS IN EORZEA! The cities are decorated for not!Christmas, FFXIV’s “Starlight Celebration.”



The in-game lore seems to have to do with Saint Nymeia, one of the twelve gods of Eorzea.

-OMG THERE ARE SANTA BEARS, SO CUUUUTE



-Someone has been stealing decorations. My investigation finds a witness! A kid.

It’s… the Starlight Tree itself! It stole decorations from others and decorated itself.

-Ah lol. It was a plain ol’ treant disguised as the Starlight Tree. It saw everyone celebrating trees and wanted some of the festive glory for itself.

-I mount a trusty Christmas bear (because of course) and head to the grinchy treants’ gathering spot.



-It’s a vehicle fight. I stay on my bear and lob holiday-themed flashbangs at the treants. It stuns them into submission without damaging the stolen decorations.

-WOOHOO!! I saved the holiday, and even got to keep the bear as a reward.

---

Next time: rescuing Minfilia from the Ascians.