Tuesday, June 23, 2015

FFV Four Job Fiesta! - Introduction


The Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta is underway!  I'll be trying my hand at a natural run.  More on what the hell I'm talking about inside. :)





This is an annual charity play of Final Fantasy 5. Basically, you get your jobs randomized to varying degrees by the GilgaBot Twitter account and play the game. That easy! You can make pledges as you go, or just watch those playing through the game on all their Twitch streams and all that whatnot.

For those of you who may not be familiar with Final Fantasy 5, a bit about the game:

-It's probably the silliest, goofiest, and funniest of the series I've played thus far.
-It's got some fantastic characters and relationships, especially of the non-romantic variety. FRIENDSHIP FTW
-The music is awesome.
-The plot is... pretty basic.
-The job system is my favorite mechanic in the entire series thus far. Seriously. It's awesome.

---

Now, if you've never played FF5 before, I wouldn't recommend doing your first run as a Four Job Fiesta. It's a challenge-mode, and I personally think you should explore the full breadth and joy of the job system before limiting yourself with this challenge. But to each her own!

---

"Wow, Coldrun! That sounds awesome! How do I join/pledge/do stuff?"

For full details, see http://fourjobfiesta.com/

To get the game: Can go legitimate on GBA or iOS, or grab a Gameboy Advance emulator and the ROM. I donned my pirate hat (appropriate for FFV) and emulated it when I played, but this time around I bought it on iOS for my iPhone and am playing it there.

To officially start the run:

1) Have a Twitter account.

2) Decide which rule set you want for your run. The rules for the basic run are:

"Players will be assigned one class from each crystal. Until all four classes are unlocked, players are only permitted to use the classes they have currently unlocked. Bare/Suppin/Freelance can only be used until the Wind Crystal job is unlocked."

For all further rule sets (like, I'm doing a "natural" run), see: http://fourjobfiesta.com/help.php?s=c#

3) Tweet to GilgaBot (@FF5ForFutures) with the message: "#reg" and whatever other parameters you want to set for yourself. I am doing a natural run personally, so my initial tweet included "#natural".

4) PLAY THIS AWESOME GAME!

5) As you reach each new crystal and new jobs open up to you, tweet that crystal's hashtag at GilgaBot and it will give you your next job. For example, to test it I tweeted #water at that account. The reply: "@Coldrun_MN can now use the Water Job 'Mystic Knight'. Break sword all day long."

Another random example from GilgaBot's Twitter feed: "@dbzfandiego can now use the Earth Job 'Dragoon'. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No. It is neither."

<3 U GILGABOT

---

SO! That's it. I'll post in this subthread as I go. Any advice or suggestions about succeeding on this run are greatly appreciated! I've only played the game through once, so this'll be a challenge. My personal pledge is $2 for each crystal I unlock, and an extra $2 if I manage to beat the game somehow.

This will only be a side project, the kind of thing I play as I have time on my lunch breaks and the like.  Not even sure I'll finish it.  We'll see!