Tuesday, July 17, 2018

FFTA2 – Part 12: Judge Wanting

Summary: Cid’s attacker reappears. Geographic clues. Klesta goes down. Job unlocks for flintlock, raptor, cannoneer, chocobo knight.



---

Mountain Watch (main)

-Luso wants to go to the Rupie Mountains, and Kuknir Travel wants guards to help tour groups go there. We’ll be their bodyguards.

-When he arrives in the mountains, an odd things happens. A ninja appears. He doesn’t want money or to kill us. He wants to buy our clan’s judge. Uhhhhh…




(Can you even trade/sell a judge like that?)

-His name is Ewen. He summons a party and they attack. [Later edit: I checked my prior post and I’m reasonably sure Ewen is the guy who shot Cid.]

-I was wrong about his job. He’s a “nightfall,” not a ninja.

-The battle starts, the judge appears… and he gets surrounded by dark magic! No judge this fight.



This is especially threatening for Luso because the judge is what prevents actual, real death.

LUSO: “You expect me to leave?”
EWEN: “No, I expect you to die.”

Ok, Goldfinger.

-We take the party out and he flees, dropping a mysterious jewel behind him.

-Luso breaks out a “law card” that Cid gave him and the judge reappears. Silent, but kind of nods to Luso in acknowledgment. He’s okay.

-I return to Cid. He thinks the gem might be magicite and asks me to have it appraised in Moorabella.

-Ooh, airship time maybe! Not owning one, but I might be able to buy a ride on one soon.

---

Moorabella (main)

-The appraiser reviewed it. She hadn’t seen anything like the gem before so she’ll have to research it.

-In the meanwhile, Luso wanted to go for an airship ride… alas, it’s out of order!

-Rumors are that pranksters put the ship out of business.

-More rumors about sky pirates from the east.



Current theory: I think Adelle is the one who put the airship out of commission to incentivize people luring sky pirates here to help fix it. She seems very interested in the sky pirates.

---

Notices, Rumors, & Side Quests

-A “speed battle” is a new type of fight. A competing clan and I face off against a mark. Whoever gets the killing blow wins, which puts the focus on timing and patience.

-FFTA2 does have random encounters! Albeit rare and avoidable.

-This game’s Gil Toss is the best in all FF. It lets me choose HOW much gil I toss!



-One of my favorite side quests has me fight Florah, defender of malboros. All she wants to do is protect the natural world.



She even broke out of prison because she couldn’t stand the thought that someone was Ivalice’s plant life.


-We apprehended one of the most fearsome critters in the land: a bunny.



HFDJKLSFHDJKLSFHDKLSFHDKLS HOLLOLLY SHIT

Okay. So. I helped Dr. Mack Ocktor with another medical delivery quest. A pub notice tells me how Ivalice’s physicians are starting to appreciate him:

“The Rozarrian Imperial League of Physicians, located in the capital, have shown interest in working with Mr. Ocktor in the future.”

THIS GAME IS IN ROZARRIA! That was sort of my theory about FFT. FFTA was its own thing, but there was that volcano region that reappeared in Revenant Wings in the west of Ivalice, and now this.

Oh, and that thing before about “Sky pirates from the east?” Could well refer to the sky pirate culture east of Rozarria, in Rabanastre.

-I found hell.



A swarm of pink malboros who cast 100% charm breath, on top of their other status breaths.

---

Showdown (side)

-Bowen continues to try to avenge Swordmaiden Friese by taking on Klesta.



-He starts solo before his House arrives to back him up.

-Klesta rises to flee… but this time we’re ready. Luso tosses a bottle of sap at the beast, preventing it from flying.



-KLESTA GOES DOWN!

BOWEN: “…Rest in peace, Friese.” Hopefully Bowen can move on.

---

Of Kupos and Cannons (flintlock unlock)

-A bunch of moogle “flintlocks” are disrupting people’s sleep with night-time target practice.


Moogles are jerks.

-They start using an ability called “Prime.” Probably like focus that buffs their next attack.

-They’re an interesting job. Mostly damage, but it looks like they can use items for other effects. Like, I saw one cast “Ether Shot.”

---

Instrument of Inspiration (raptor unlock)

-Mayhew is a demon girl, one of the FFTA2 popstars in “Prima Donna.” She needs my help finding her concertina (which I had to look up to learn it’s like an accordion).

-I fight through the monsters and find it.



-Yay! This is a job unlock quest. She teaches me the “Raptor” job.

-I can’t see it on any current character. It must be exclusive to the demon-types. That’d make sense if raptors use wing-based attacks.

---

The Bangaa Brotherhood (cannoneer unlock)

-I deliver some items to a bangaa and HIS PORTRAIT!



-These folks are rivals of the Nu Mou Nobles, whom I met earlier.

-I wonder whether I’ll eventually have to choose a path. Like, if I pick up the next Nu Mou Noble quest maybe that will preclude me from more interactions with the Bangaa Brotherhood.

-Not much to this quest. They thank me for delivering a thing and teach me to be a cannoneer.

---

Popocho’s Chocobos (chocobo knight unlock)

-A chocobo knight’s chocobos have all fled.

-This is the most mechanically tricky job unlock quest. It asks me to go to three separate battlefield and protect the chocobos there from hostile monsters.

-The last quest protects Popocho himself and his two chocobos.


Popocho: caring and brave knight, bad at tongue-twisters.

-OH GOD THIS ZAHAK (dragon) CASTS MIGHTY GUARD AND I WANT THAT

-It’s my first fight vs undead. I kill the ghost and it revives a few rounds later, even summoning another ghost.

---

Next time: Moorabella.