Wednesday, July 4, 2018

FFTA2 – Part 5: Camoa

Summary: Completing the first tier of clan trials. Camoa side quests.

Quick note: there’s no main story in this session, and I’m kind of okay with that? Just kind of moseying along, enjoying the fun little side quests, exploring the mechanics.

I plan to keep this up for the foreseeable future.


---

Teamwork I (trial)

-I really want to finish off the next two rank 1 trials. Maybe I’ll get a meta title.

-I’ll again choose the middle-tier. I like how the titles are related to the trial type. The lowest rank is “Acquaintances” up through “Old Friends.” I go with “Relations.”

-I have to kill four enemies without using MP.

-Uhhhh the enemies are disembodied hands lol



-OH! The hands are “Mimics.” I thought they’d be those insectile creatures from XII.

-Glad I didn’t try a higher difficulty. The Mimics have nasty area effect magic and they take out two party members. The rest barely survive.

-I raise members who die. They just kind of say “Well, I gave it my best shot!” and fade away.

-BUT I WIN YAY! Surprisingly, the characters who died still get experience.

---

Adaptability I (trial)

-For this, I have the difficulty options to shoot for titles of Scouts, Observers, Surveyors, Imitators and (lol) Mimics. I again choose the middle trial.

-I have to fight two enemies in four rounds of combat. No restrictions. Only two? Ruh oh. This is gonna be tricky I fear.

-The enemies are flan-types. I have black mage to help.

-WAIT I CAN’T USE ELEMENTAL ATTACKS??? At least, not fire or ice. I don’t have the tools for this yet. Grrr.

xD Cm7.png">


-Yeah, I have no chance. These enemies are like bosses, level 14 when I’m level 4-6, and I don’t have any tools to damage them. Physical attacks don’t do much.

-No real hope so I just flee.



-I even try it again with the lowest difficulty rank. It’s the same problem. There’s only one flan instead of two. It doesn’t matter given my inability to damage them.

---

Prepared With love

-I have to deliver lunch from a wife to her husband.

-The husband is bemused when I bring it. Apparently the lunch sucks lol.



-And that’s it? Well… that was an odd quest.

-There’s a new notice, “Headhunter Friese.” Also known as Blademaiden Friese. One of Jylland’s most celebrated warriors.

-Friese traveled with several companions, probably a clan member. She used to be widely known for “tales of her derring-do,” but she’s fallen off the map recently.

“One wonders what she is doing now, and where.” Smells like a party member on the horizon.


---

Wanted: The Cyanwolf

-Some new notices! One about the crushatrice, one about another clan.

-There’s a notice in town to take out Klesta, the cockatrice I first met when Luso got here. I imagine that’ll be a bit higher level.

-House Bowen is an elite clan. The leader, Bowen, sounds like a great dude. Calm, collected, loyal.

-A new strain of wolf damage pastures and disturbing the peace.



-There’s one green wolf (the Cyanwolf) and a bunch of regular wolves.

-OH COME ON. They cast confuse on one of my party and while confused he used a Grimoire Stone. I’m getting memories of those crap moments in Tactics when a party members would get confused and just start tossing items left and right.

---

Beetle in a Haystack (side)

-A guy named letty was walking his pet scarab, Nero, who escaped. What is it with the recent FFs and horrifying pets that escaped? Better at least this than the pet malboro from XII.

-Wait, I misunderstood. The pet is lost and in the ground. It’s just a regular beetle, not a horrifying monster beetle.

-Starting to build Drisha as a green mage.

-Fought off some enemies and found the beetle. There seem to be a lot of these Easter egg hunt quests.



[Non-rhetorical question: what does the star under “rank” mean in the item menu?]

---

A Voice from the Well (Side)

-Someone hears a woman’s voice from their garden.

-The zone is “Adventurer’s Rest.”

-Turns out it’s lamias. I really like their portraits. They look far eerier than I remember from FFTA.



Somehow alien. Something about the elongated proportions.

-Also great is Luso’s optimism: “Maybe asking her to keep her voice down would solve the problem?”

-One of my characters died of a Lamia’s Doom. I try resurrecting him with phoenix down, and it’s kind of shocking – I don’t have to go to his corpse! His corpse disappears, and when Phoenix Down comes up, I get a menu of characters to select to raise wherever I like. Nice convenience!

-A pub notice afterwards from Lacadeo thanks me for clearing the garden of lamias. The lamias weren’t just bothering him – they had given migraines to neighbors.



[Non-rhetorical question: what does the “MVP” mark mean in the status window?]


---

Adaptability I (trial)

-Now that I have Air Render on my bangaa white monk, I go for this trial again.

-Huh. I now notice something I didn’t notice last time – an “Experiment” command when I get close to the enemy.

-wtf is this. I can either “Threaten,” “Surprise,” or “Stare Down.”



The flan turned towards me when I found it, so I doubt surprise is the right option. I’ll try “Stare Down.”

-LOLOL “The enemy turns tail and runs!” THAT’S THE SOLUTION! This trial was about solving a puzzle, not putting together strong enough combat.

-Winning this give me a new clan privilege, and the name of my new metal band: Empowered Moogles.

-I thought about going back for a higher difficulty, but I don’t want to mess with my other clan talents just yet. I’ll try again when I need to raise my adaptability for new missions

---

Cilawa the Gluttonous (side)

-This is a simple delivery mission. I got a rat tail as an earlier reward, and now someone who I assume is an alchemist named Cilawa the Gluttonous wants it for a mixture.

-Cilawa is a nu mou alchemist.

-lol he eats the rat tails before it makes its way into the potion. I won’t yuck his yum.



-He feels bad – he keeps eating stuff before using it and wonders whether he’s cut out to be an apothecary. I can’t blame him. Lord knows what a small percentage of butterscotch chips survived my hunger before I made cookies.

-Cilawa plans to join a clan called “Culinary Crusade,” and I immediately want to abandon my current clan and join them. They sound wonderful.

---

Next time: Continuing in Camoa.