Friday, September 10, 2021

FFXIV – Part 256: Summer Songs

Summary: The level 80 bard quest. My first extreme/unreal, Leviathan. 2021 Moonfire Faire and Rising holiday events.


---

A Harmony from the Heavens [Bard 80]

-It’s been a while since I touched this job. My last post was over two years ago, in June 2019: http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2019/06/ffxiv-p...

-I head back to Gridania to talk to the dude who started a Gridanian bard unit, Sanson.

-The unit’s doing generally well, but they feel low. Their songs faltered during the Battle of Ghimlyt Dark at the end of Stormblood.

Don’t worry about it. I’m AWFUL about maintaining my bard songs during stressful fights.

-The seasoned bards and I will perform for the newbies to show them how it’s done.



I love how we incorporate the Shadowbringers Andreia into this, singing about a forgotten hero who got vengeance.
http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2020/07/ffxiv-p...

---

Unseasonable Chills [Moonfire Faire 2021]

-This summer, master confectioner Nekeke seeks to create the greatest frozen dessert ever made.

-She traveled to the deep north for fresh ice and made FRIENDS WITH POLAR BEARS!!!



- There’s a touch of “The Thing” here, with a monster trapped in the ice to kill. But it’s worth it. Because the resulting dessert looks ridiculously tasty.



-Now I’m friends with a polar bear. All is right in the world.


Ququshu atop Mr. Bear.


Zooming in on Mr. Bear’s face.


Turning Mr. Bear into a sheep by flying into a big dandelion.

---

Rising Calm [The Rising 2021]

-This is the holiday event honoring the Calamity’s victims and celebrating XIV generally.

-A reporter named Kipih Jakkya needs help tracking someone who bought an unusually large bunch of Nymeian lilies. …Really? That’s the scoop you’re chasing?



I read on Twitter that when 1.0 was about to shut down, a dev took Kipih’s form and went around interviewing players in-game. THIS IS SO FRIGGING COOL.

-Turns out (of course) to be holiday related. It was the Wandering Minstrel, commissioning something to give out for the Rising. 


-Aw, he’s making potpourri to help promote a spirit of peace. Not just in remembrance of the dead, but to help the veterans of Carteneau.

Wandering Minstrel is the best.

-Like past Rising events, his music transports us to a dream world to meet the legendary Naoki Yoshida. Reflects on the 10 years it’s been since he started working on XIV, and hooooly shit what a journey.


Wandering Minstrel is the best. Yoshi-P even moreso.


My new parasol.

---

The Whorleater (Unreal)

I’ve wanted to try tougher content for a while now. I started by reading up on Eden 9 Savage, but it overwhelmed it. Decided to start with extremes, starting with the current Whorleater (Unreal).

Preparation

What do I need to know as a red mage? I’m using Mr. Happy’s guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWL3wUHae-M

-Body Slam & Spinning Dives: WATCH FOR SPOUTS.
-Attack head only, not tail.
-Stay away from head (pbaoe).
-Spread from healers because Leviathan aoes them without a castbar.
-Add priority: Wavetooth Sahagin (ranged) > Gyre Spume > Wavespine Sahagin (melee) > head.
-Spume phase: one dive + body slam. Other times: two dives + body slam.
-Kill Gyre Spumes ASAP, focusing them down one at a time.

This was just a broad overview. Let’s do this.



Afterward

THIS WAS AWESOME! As you may hear in the clips above, I’m pretty hard on myself when I fail. (Which I do. A lot.) Trying to be kinder to myself when learning.

The hardest thing for me was learning how to spot the spouts and react quickly. Those killed me so dang much early on.

The most pleasant surprise was how chill people were. Nobody chewed me out, despite me weighing everyone down for most pulls. I asked questions, they provided helpful tips, and we got it done.


The mini-game I got access to afterward.

I’m excited to try more. Garuda (Extreme) is my next target.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-I completed my Shadowbringers relic!


Penultimate tier.


My final red mage relic! Though the otter is mocking my pose.


The mocking otter.

-Some great player names I’ve seen recently. Spotlighting some more sincere fantasy names:

Avalon Dragoncraft
Violetta Valentine
Tiberon Moonscale
Wolfe Snow
Owain Oathkeeper
Daelin Lockheart
Triston Pendragon
Grepster Pennyworth
Darkemoon Nightchild
Celestia Sirensong
Thaliar Realmskeep
Vonaria Evergarden
Tyndall Darkarrow
Ren Proudspire

---

Next time: My next XIV goals are to finish samurai, do Garuda (Extreme), and complete the Zadnor red mage armor set.