Thursday, June 20, 2019

Coldrun Cooking - Three Omelets

Summary: Three attempts at making an omelet.

---

This is a sorta-new project. Dunno if I'll continue, but it's something I want to try.

I cook more than I used to, but it's still not much. I want to get better, and practice is part of that. In this series, I'll pick a thing to cook, try to make it, and try improving it and adjusting.

Unlike my Final Fantasy series, I'm DEFINITELY looking for "spoilers!" Let me know if you have suggestions on recipes I work on, or new recipes you want me to try.


But also please remember I'm new to this. Just looking for simple, basic stuff. Thank you!

 ---


Omelet #1



Ingredients
  • three eggs
  • spices: garlic mix (paprika, garlic, Italian herbs, red pepper), salt, ground black pepper, parsley 
  • cooking spray
  • slice of American cheese
  • handful of shredded mozzarella
Recipe
  1. Use non-fat cooking spray to coat pan. Heat on medium.
  2. Beat eggs with spices.
  3. Pour egg and spice mix into pan. Reduce heat a bit.
  4. Pull eggs in from side to coat pan and then let it sit.
  5. When eggs have partially settled with some wet, add cheese. 
  6. Fold halfway, flip after a bit, then done!


Notes/Lessons

Served it with some broccoli. Tasted good, and I love garlic! But that didn't quite work. It was just too much. I think less will be more.

Things to try in the future:
  • Less cheese. The mix was fine, but it was too much.
  • Take that garlic mix out. I don't have a language for why it didn't work, but I want something lighter, fresher. Maybe even just addition by subtraction, just spicing it with salt, pepper, parsley? Try other stuff.
  • Test whether beating spices with the egg works better or just adding spices at the end.
  • In the pan, I can try stirring the eggs a lot before they settle for a more mottled texture and quicker cooking... or stir them less, just pour and let the eggs sit on lower heat. The latter sounds like a smoother texture.
  • Add a different feel to the omelet's fillings. Maybe crispy diced Spam?

---------- 

Omelet #2






Ingredients
  • three eggs
  • spices: salt, ground black pepper, parsley 
  • cooking spray
  • slice of American cheese
  • slice of Spam, diced

Recipe

Same as above, except I started off by heating the Spam over medium for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.


Notes/Lessons

Removing the garlic mix worked well. And adding the Spam worked great! That change in texture, those crispy nuggets. That can work with bacon, vegetables, tomatoes, other stuff too no doubt.

But my pan was a bit too small for all the fillings. It was hard to flip over and messy. Next time, less Spam. Half slice instead of a full slice.

Also, I just ate this plain. Having stuff on the side is a good thing.

---------- 

Omelet #3



Ingredients

  • two eggs [down from three]
  • spices: salt, ground black pepper, parsley 
  • cooking spray
  • shredded mozzarella
Recipe

Same as omelet #1.


Notes/Lessons

I had run out of Spam and other fillings at this point, so I kept it simple. And it was the best omelet of all because I used two eggs instead of three. The skillet I used was too small for three eggs. It made the omelet way thicker than I wanted, but was perfect with two eggs.

Toast with jam and veggies on the side. (Was out of butter.)

The biggest lesson from all these attempts wasn't about a specific technique or ingredient. It's that sometimes, less is more.