Monday, December 7, 2020

[Coldrun Fitness] Level 6: Off Season - Snacks

Thinking of next steps and upping my snack game.




 ---

Saturday

I used to fence. Competitively. From middle school through high school, college, and into my mid-20s. I've sporadically visited a local fencing club since then when the mood and courage hit me, but I hated how quickly I got winded. I hated my appearance, and how out of place I felt.

I miss it. I'd like to return at some point in the near future.

I was so much younger then, and had years of momentum. Adjust my expectations. I'll never be in my here will never be another time in my life I am in teens or twenties. "Return to where I was" is not a reasonable or healthy goal.

Anyway. I've felt unsure what to do next. This seems like a good framework to decide:

  1. If I were in an ideal "off-season," what would I eat and how would I exercise?
  2. What are some beginner versions of those things I can work on right now?

I was about to go all out, write a HUGE list of what every aspect would look like. Each exercise and food component. But I've been down that road before. It's overwhelming.

----

 

Sunday

Keep it small as I build up infrastructure and skills. Start with snacks.

Snack Ideas to Work Towards

  • chicken/tuna salad with a bit of stuff (e.g. 1-2 of cucumber, pepper, celery, tomato, nuts)
  • protein shake - flavor of powder (choc or vanilla) with fruit (e.g. strawberry, cherry, banana, blueberries). Peanut butter optional.
  • Greek yogurt with berries and/or nuts.

Snack Ideas I've Tried That Are A Nope From Me

  • ants on a log (celery with peanut butter/raisins)
That's it, but as I go it'll be important to avoid stuff I don't get excited to eat.

Today, I ate a snack of strawberry Greek yogurt with peanuts. It was pretty good and filling!

 ----

 Monday 

 Had a fairly early dinner around 5:30pm. At 8:30pm, tried a snack from this list, a banana chocolate protein shake. 

  • whole banana, broken into chunks
  • 5 ice cubes
  • 3/4 cup of milk. I used skim this time, but I've also liked coconut milk in the past.
  • scoop of chocolate protein powder
  • some peanut butter. A tablespoon maybe?
Refreshing and tasty.