Tuesday, December 29, 2020

FFXIV – Part 229: No Padjal [White Mage 30-50]

Summary: Ququshu is chosen as a third white mage alongside two Padjali to quiet the forest’s anger. Christmas returns to Eorzea.

It’s been 2-3 years since I last touched this job. Back to it! The conjurer quest from early 2018: http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2018/02/ffxiv-p...


---

Seer Folly

-The conjurer tells me about the Seedseers. Elder Seedseer Kan-E-Senna leads Gridania. Her fellow Seedseers are her siblings, Sister Rayo-O-Senna and Brother A-Ruhn-Senna.



-The forest is filled with elemental guardians, greatest of which dwells within the Guardian Tree. That spirit is pissed at the constant war. The Seedseers will try to placate him with “the Quieting” ritual. The guildmaster sends me to help if I can.

-After helping the tree, it gifts me with a job crystal.



RAYA-O-SENNA: “Do my eyes deceive me, or does this adventurer inherit the legacy of A-Towa-Cant?” He was the last person to perform the Quieting.

-The Quieting takes three white mages. Kan-E-Senna is busy leading Gridania, so I’m up next.

-The siblings are hesitant. White magic was meant to be kept within the “Padjali tradition.” Not sure if that’s a race or school or what. [Later edit: I think it’s a race?]

-Raya-O seems open to my help. The brother is reluctant, clinging to the tradition.

-A-Towa-Cant was an eccentric. He wandered away from the forest, shirking tradition to heal those around the world. He was thought to have died in a far-off land with no apprentices. He’s got one now.

---

Only You Can Prevent Forest Ire

-Time to start learning to white mage. There’s a Baby’s First Elemental to Calm target, an angry tree that I should commune with.

-It’s no problem. Just some angry elementals to kill and then I get to communing.

-Raya-O is confident in my growth. A-Ruhn? Not so much. Seems likely that we’ll have to deal with him by in COMBAT, the white mage way, by level 50. [Later edit: nope!]

---

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

-A-Ruhn has charged off to the save the forest solo to spite me. I find him getting his ass kicked by some angry elementals. He’s… not gracious when I help.

-At least his sister is here to (verbally) give him a smack upside the head. I may not be Padjali, but I’m clearly the inheritor of that sweet white mage POWAH.



-Later, Raya tells me a story of the Fifth Astral Era, an ice age. Their ancestors discovered magic then and survived. When things got better, they kept using it. (Wouldn’t you?)

Black magic was put to destructive use, but white magic was found to check it.

-…Mostly. Even white magic can wreck the world’s aether, and so both black AND white magic were eventually forbidden. With one exception: the Padjal.

The Padjal were entrusted as shepherds of white magic, healers and peacebringers. 

---

Following in His Footsteps

-The Quieting is approaching. It’s a similar act of woodland pacification to what we’ve done so far, but on a larger and more difficult scale. I’ll need some more badass gear.

-A-Towa-Cant wandered the realm, healing as he went. His ashes were divided among several urns. I’m to go around and get this gear imbued with his blessing.

-The pilgrimage goes mostly well, but one particular grave site has been defiled, the ashes stolen. Some rival? A rebellious student?

-Nothing so dramatic. Just some thieves lol. Okay. I forgot that most A Realm Reborn job quests are relatively low-key.

---

Heart of the Forest

-A-Ruhn wants to get rolling, even without my fully blessed gear. On to the disrupted Guardian Tree. (Which I personally think of as the Great Deku Tree.)

-The three of us start channeling energy into the Tree. Woodland stuff, and some mysterious white mage jumps in to save us.



OH SHIT, IT’S A-TOWA-CANT HIMSELF! She helps us fight off the attack in a pretty fun instance.

-After, she admits that he’s not exactly alive. Living on Ququshu-borrowed strength. His spirit resides in my soul crystal.

I frigging love his design! The Dagger-esque white mage garb, the ashen skin, the horns.



But as soon as he’s here, he’s gone.

A-TOWA-CANT: “Farewell, my children. I leave my forest home in your capable hands…”

-The forest is quiet and I get my fully blessed white mage garb. Onto Heavensward.


Ququshu in her new level 50 white mage set.

---

A Festive Fiasco [Starlight Festival 2020]

-Christmas returns to Eorzea.

-Kamlito Halito is a Lalafell businessman’s son. He’s had enough with all this Starlight nonsense, but he’s been tasked with helping run the festival.

He does it super half-assed at first (Halloween pumpkins as decoration, bad snowmen, etc.) until he sees his actions make a local kid cry.

It’s a pretty typical Scrooge-type turnaround. As his heart warms, Kamlito learns that the kid’s dad is sick. Not only does Kamlito create an adorable happy snowman family for the kid, but he also gets medicine for the dad.




Standard stuff, but cute enough. And more importantly, I GET A SNOWMAN SUIT MOUNT! (Thanks to forensicfanatic for the heads-up!)  


---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-I love how XIV’s roulette system lets me revisit and appreciate the beauty of older content:



-Life of a Lalafell:


-A SASSY dancer:


-I like to imagine Haskooma Matata is not wearing a hat; this is just their head:


Some great names seen recently:

Mazeltov Cocktail (one of my faves in a long time)
Saruman White
Sierra Nightsky
Cheeky Babydoll
Timmish Cheezecake
Jack Cull
Hurt Me’plenty
Fluffy Buns
Pistachio Gelato
Sebastian Miller
Arianna Autumn
John Crighton (I’ve seen Aeryn Sun around I’m sure)
Cashew Nuttington
Pineapple Coconut
Big Sister
Inexorable Doop
Guy Bruhbruh
Smallest Minx
Boo Hiss
Boo Moonlight
G’raha Tia
Ebon Preator – I assume this is a reference to the MTG Fallen Empires card.
Rain Drops
Egg Eater

---

Next time: the 50-60 white mage quests.