Sunday, December 6, 2020

FFXIV – Part 223: Chosen One [Sylph Beast Tribe]

Summary: A Gridanian scholar helps the sylphs save their messiah from Ramuh’s clutches. 


---

Intro Quests

There were apparently two introductory sylph quests I did, though it’s hard to pick them out from my notes from years ago.

The gist is that a scholar named Voyce, in conjunction with Sylph Elder Friixio, is investigating the legend of a Chosen One sylph who changes their tribe’s fate every millennium.

---

Pilfered Podlings

-Interesting! Sylphs are born as bulbs, like plantlife. They have to be incubated within a “podling” and eventually become a full sylph.

I go rescue a protected podling from the malicious sylphs. I really, really hope we didn’t just kidnap a random baby.

The quest itself feels super dated, even though it was from probably 6 years ago. It’s a stealth quest where I have to sneak in and bring back the podling without getting seen or hit.



[Later edit: This quest type was intensely annoying until I just did the quests on my level 80. The level 50 enemies just left me alone then.]

-Elder Frixio is pumped.


They’re SO CUTE.

The Chosen One will presumably have legendary power.

---

Idle Hands

-lol, they sylphs are annoyed with Voyce. They refer to him as “The Bumbling One.” it me

-He’s not the only bumbling one. Some villainous sylph disguised themselves as me, Ququshu, and stole away the Chosen One podling. A Ramuh fanatic named Diluxio.



-I love Diluxio’s evil leaf mask.

---

Feathers and Folly

-The Chosen One will sprout soon, and the first face it sees will get imprinted as its strongest influence. We’re on the clock.

-Voyce wants to atone for his bumbling jackassery, but the sylphs just want him to sit this out.

-LOLOL SO HE DONS A CHOCOBO COSTUME AND PRETENDS TO BE MY “MOUNT”



OLMIXIO: “This one [me]… has no words.”

-And so, Voyce – ahem, “Voco” – and I charge into the forest to rescue the Chosen One.

-…oh god. Is Voco going to be the first face the Chosen One sees? [Later edit: Thankfully, no.]
 
-GO VOCO! He manages to distract the Ramuhites long enough to help us bring the podling back to our sylph friends.




-The Chosen One emerges. A new era of peace as it joins Elder Frixio and the rest here.



I love the visuals of this, how the Chosen One is wreathed in dark purple light.

---

And… that’s it? That surprised me. This was my first A Realm Reborn beast tribe quest. I don’t dislike it; I’m totally fine with a short and fun little story! Especially when there are so many of these ARR beast tribes.

The Sylphs themselves are adorable. I love their grammatical constructs (“this one”). They strike me as a more muted version of Shadowbringers’ pixies. Super cool to spend time with them and get this extra story arc.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-My happy new goobue mount:


-My terrifying new sylph Teletubby minion:


-A couple of styles from my friend Cat:



-Some great names I saw recently:

Cosmic Disco
Rummy Disco
Unattended Toddler (a lalafel)
L’ucky Cat
Snack Drawer
Mei May
Toot Sootsniffer


Tickle Time.

---

Next time: Continuing to work on white mage, which is currently at 58, but more immediately is 5.4 that drops this week!