Tuesday, February 9, 2021

FF Type-0 – Part 1: Crack the Deck [Unspoiled]

Summary: Starting a new game! Intro to a crystallized world. First review of the info screens. A chicken gets bumped.

TW: animal pain and death.


NOTE: Part of the video is totally muted due to the copyrighted "Bump of Chicken" song. YouTube provided an option to mute just the song, but it didn't work in this case. Will try it if it comes up again in the future and keep commentary over that song to a minimum.

---




Five Thoughts

-When I started looking at the settings and saw stuff about “units,” I was afraid this would be a real-time strategy game, or something similar like Revenant Wings. Pleasantly surprised to see it plays (at least for now) more like Final Fantasy VII Remake.

-I can’t get over how horrific and brutal the deaths of Izuna and especially Chichiri were. It was so drawn-out, painful, and bloody. That aspect of the game’s intro (especially with the large-scale politics) felt very FFXII. Also with some elements of FFIV, with one kingdom invading another to take their crystal.

-Very classical FF start, with four (sorta elemental?) crystals. The political take on the four crystals – with each crystal as a kingdom – reminds me of Avatar as well.

-HOW DID I NOT NOTICE THE CARD THEME? Only when I was editing the video did I notice that the three characters I control are based on cards. Ace, Nine, Queen.

-No idea what to make of the “nine and nine” theme yet.