Friday, February 5, 2021

FFXIV – Part 240: Trial by Deception [Paladin 50-60]

Summary: Solkzagyl seems to work from beyond the grave to restore the shine to the paladins.


---

An Exemplary Example

-Papashan is a former Sultansworn. He shares with me that Solkzagyl is still searching for Oathsworn, the paladin sword that the Monetarists stole at the end of the 30-50 quests. He’s dropped out of contact.

Okay I’m VERY into this. Seeking a holy sword? How much more paladin-y can you get?

---

The Paladin Who Cried Wolf

-My search begins near Ishgard, where rumors put Solkzagyl last seen fighting off bandits.

-This is… strange. I find an elezan named Constaint under attack by Death’s Embrace, a bandit gang. He claims that the bandits slew Solkzagyl, which is clearly not true by all laws of fiction. So why is he lying?

-Constaint claims he spent time with Solkzagyl before his “death.” Begging him to train him as a paladin, and only at the last minute did Solkzagyl agree (even granting him his soul stone). And now, he plans to finish the Roegadyn’s quest and find Oathsworn himself.



Current theory: Constaint tried to kill Solkzagyl. Solkzagyl escaped and now Constaint will try to use me to help beat Solkzagyl to finding Oathsworn first for his own ends.

[Later edit: I couldn’t have been wronger, but I don’t blame myself. Constaint seemed sketchy af.]

---

Big Sollerets to Fill

-I guess we’re along for the ride. Constaint will use Solkzagyl’s notes to track Oathsworn.

-We’re tracking Solk’s murder. It’s giving me TERRIBLE vibes that as we trace the crime, Constaint is just yoinking the various armor pieces he finds that belonged to Solk.

As we fight our next group of Death’s Embrace, he’s already wearing Solk’s crown and boots.



(Granted, that’s what I do whenever I loot stuff in dungeons but SHUT UP that’s what.)

-I dunno. As this quest goes on, Constaint sounds more sincere. I don’t think Solk is actually dead, but maybe it’s not all a ruse by Constaint.



Maybe he’s just a starstruck kid who thinks this noble paladin died trying to fight the good fight and he’s doing his awkward best to fill in his shoes.

---

Hey Soul Crystal

-…Ain’t that Mister Mister? (That song’s gonna be in my head all DAY now. Thanks, XIV.)

-Solk left a note for Constaint, directing him to some sort of hidden treasure. They really do seem to have developed an off-screen relationship.

-The box the note leads us to has more of that paladin gear set for Constaint. I’m super sure that Solkzagyl is still alive and shepherding Constaint with his absence. 


-Jenlyns joins our group. Worried about his new/old buddy and broken to find that he’s “dead.”

-AHA! We see a cloaked Solkzagyl watching us briefly with a smile from a mountaintop.



Okay. He’s gotta be trying to use his “death” to bring us together, guide a new paladin in Constaint, and develop us into a force.

---

All According to Plan

-We track down the Death’s Embrace assassins to the Sea of Clouds. Things continue to be weird when one of them has Solk’s gauntlets on his person.

-Constaint points out what’s so weird. Death’s Embrace doesn’t seem to have their shit together. They’ve fallen on hard times, just acting now as common bandits. How could a group that has Oathsworn (and could just sell it) be so down?

And my thing is, how could such a down-on-their-luck group even kill Solkzagyl?

---

This Little Sword of Mine

-The local guard who “found” Solkzagyl’s body and buried him has been mortally wounded. He urges me to go dig up Solkzagyl’s grave. According to Solk’s wishes or going against them?

-Yeah, the grave has no body. Just the last piece of armor. It finally hits Constaint that he’s been played.

-Solk finally emerges.

“To merely reclaim [Oathkeeper] will not suffice. It must be won by a worthy paladin. Only then will it – and our order – be restored to its former glory.”

A paladin must be self-driven, hence this maze of trials. I guess he’s setting Constaint up as a paladin leader, but what of Jenlyns? Maybe there doesn’t have to just be one.

-…lolol NEVER MIND. Apparently, our two charged-up soul crystals are now clashing. I have to fight Constaint to determine whose soul is stronger. Wtf kind of paladinhood is this?

-I destroy him. Like, he’s weaker than a normal enemy. That’s an interesting change from the normal boss fights.

-Jenlyns arrives in the aftermath of our “fight,” and he’s annoyed at Solk. Sounds like there’s ANOTHER twist coming.

SOLK: “I have the sword! And everything I have done – that I made you all do – has been for the sole purpose of making it shine once more.”

JENLYNS: “Of course. It’s so simple! …Wait, no. It’s not. It’s needlessly complicated.”

LOLOLOL

-Okay, this is confusing and convoluted but I sort of get the gist. To restore Oathkeeper, one paladin soul must shine exceptionally bright. These trials helped bolster us, but I still need to best Solk himself for my soul to shine bright enough to power-up this symbol of paladinness.



-The fight against Solk is tougher than the fight against Constaint, but only slightly. Maybe this level 60 gear is just too OP.

-Everyone’s soul crystal juice flows into mine. I’m finally worthy to wield Oathkeeper, and okay. This is pretty badass and just what I wanted from the paladin quests.



-The first paladin’s soul crystal is set into the hilt of Oathkeeper. That’s why paladins kicking ass powers it up.  

-There are a few things I like also here. First, that Solkzagyl – despite his noble ends – has been kind of an asshole throughout this process, and the game acknowledges it. He’s no paragon.

Second, that Constaint takes offense at basically being strung along.

Third, that Constaint still has grown. He’s not THE CHOSEN ONE, but he’s become a decent free paladin.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

-Adventures in Lalafell tanking:


-I frigging LOVE this half-cape. Very Lightning:


-Some awesome straight-laced fantasy names I’ve seen recently:

Ralliana Stormcrow
Geena Stormshadow
Galaga Darktower
Asia Darknote
Darkstalker Nox
Corayne Nightingale
Kismet Nightingale
Jerricha Nightbringer
Petra Blackbride
Snowkah Ice-Moon
Otho Steeltree
Artemithia Lightcord
Lee Highwing
Akashi Shortbelt
Branwen Greyfang
Belladonna Rain
Mythnyr Mistraven
Shinobu Lockhearth
Raiga Squallbreaker
Robin Roseheart

---

Next time: paladin 60-80 quests.

1 comment:

  1. Your reception to this questline is much more positive than what I usually see. Usually everyone had the same reaction as Jenlyns.

    ReplyDelete

If you're commenting on the Final Fantasy playthrough, DO NOT INCLUDE ANY SPOILERS. This includes any hints or references or teasers for content beyond where I have played. Thank you.