Wednesday, February 10, 2021

FFXIV – Part 242: Past to Rest

Summary: The third chapter of the Bozjan Southern Front storyline. The new 5.45 raid, Delubrum Reginae.

This continues the Bozja Southern Front quests that I last tackled in late October 2020: http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2020/10/ffxiv-p...


---

-Things have not been going well. Now that Misilja has Queen Gunnhildr on her side, they’ve been kicking our asses on the field. Killing our side or mind controlling them for Gunnhildr.



-Bwagi (our bangaa friend) shares the good news that Garlemald’s chaos means their resources here are short.

-Gabranth was ordered to return to the capital – and he declined. Intends to build some new nation in the ruins of Dalmasca. I wonder if this will get wrapped up in Shadowbringers or continue to 6.0.

As I write this, I just saw the Endwalker intro. Hearing that (a ruined) Garlemald will be one of the new zones is knocking around in the back of my head.

-I get another Echo vision, but I’m not sure what to make of it. Apparently Gunnhildr isn’t exactly a primal. Instead, the Queen put her final memories into the Save the Queen blade and Misilja is using aether from the crystal she found to draw those memories out and channel them through her.

I guess I get that, but I don’t know why that’s a significant different from a primal.

---

Fit for a Queen

-There’s a limited window to take out Misija before she can get enough aether to bring the full might of Save the Queen to bear.

-We stalk Misilja heading to an underground temple sorta thing and follow her in.

-It’s a trap! But not an insurmountable one, since we just have to deal with magitek, not Gunnhildr.



-They buy her enough time to access the deeper parts of the temple, and that’ll be the new 24 player raid. Delubrum Reginae. Latin for “queen’s sanctuary.”

---

Delubrum Reginae



-WHAT A GREAT RAID! My favorite was the hot-and-cold boss. Something about how much they iterated on that mechanic delighted me.

Even aside from the specific bosses, it was SO much better than Castrum Lacus Litore. It didn’t rely on inter-party communication, it was always available rather than having to wait for it to pop, and the normal version of the raid was built for 24 rather than 48. Lower barriers to entry all around.

-Misila is still alive, so we pop her into prison for the moment. But I really like that the Bozjan leader, Bajsaljen, doesn’t dismiss her problems.



“[She has much to pay for…] As do many of our people, I would say. For it was the callousness and cruelty of those seeking the glory of our forebears that drove her to side with the Empire. Nevertheless, it is no excuse for her transgressions.”

-We got back Save the Queen. Mikoto will hold onto it. 

-OR NOT? As soon as she lays hands on the sword, she gets a vision of falling from the sky. What was that about? Not sure.



-And suddenly a fleet of imperial warships sails in. Are we going to see Gabranth?

-This is the end of “Past to Rest,” the third chapter of Save the Queen.



I’m shocked. I really thought this was the end of Bozja, but nope! More in 5.5 it seems.

---

Wrap-Up

-I got a whole mess of lore afterwards. Just backstory, but it does answer some of my questions.

-I continue to love what they did with the bangaa. Bwagi and Ba’gamnan in XIV are not goofball heavies, but sincere heroes.

-The trinity bosses were apparently three mind-controlled Blades!

-They also include a prison interview with Misija.



She isn’t “redeemed”; doesn’t really see any need for it. She respects the good people of Bozja, but insists (probably correctly?) that the oppression is systemic. It’s not solved by a few good Bozjans.

The next relic upgrade quest also opens to me! My first step is to do 15 raids, like the Crystal Tower (or maybe Delubrum Reginae again?). Going to start my next job so that I get alt progress while doing these.

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea

Kylie Jennner, blue blood:


If you’re on Santa’s naughty list, HE pays you a visit. Be good…:


-Some great player names I’ve seen recently:

Steamy Dump
Frijoles Concarne
Rydia Rydia
Oozing Wound
Billy Bigfeet
Hamburger Longways
Larry Birdjr
Mourning Wuud
Naps A lot
Delia Mcduck
Horo Sho
Bear Bear

---

Next time: starting on my next job, machinist!