Friday, October 1, 2021

FFXIV – Part 257: Noctfall [Samurai 80]

Summary: The FFXV crossover event returns to Eorzea. Musosai’s samurai legend continues.


---

The Man in Black [Final Fantasy XV Crossover]

-I skipped this event last time since I hadn’t played FFXV yet. So glad it came back around.

-I love all the XV flair already, including the “quest accepted” logo.



-Noctis is by the Regalia in Thanalan, that rad western harmonica playing. The car broke down.

QUQUSHU: “If anyone can get you going, it’ll be Cid.”
MAN IN BLACK: *surprised Pikachu face*



In a great XV callback [later edit: one of many to come], Noct needs help pushing the car. Florence and the Machine’s cover of “Stand By Me” starts playing in my head.

-Cid comes along and will try to help, but MTs are coming. I’d forgotten the term for them, but just hearing that makes me remember how CREEPY they were.

NOCT: “Last thing I remember is being at a Niff base… there was a strange machine. And before I knew it, I was here, in this place you call Eorzea.” Does this tie into the Garuda event in XV? I remember it only in very general brushstrokes.



-Noct and I head to a nearby FATE against an MT. Not one of the small creepyfaces, but one of the big ones. The music, and the flavor… I really, really liked FFXV. This is making me remember how much.

-The quest brings us to Gridania, where rumors of more MTs abound. Instance time.

The fight against the big Daemon – with that GREAT FFXV night fight music playing – is actually pretty tough! I don’t have any heals as a red mage while synched down to 50, so there are a couple of moments where I nearly died.

-OF COURSE we have to finish that up with a meal – plus some fishing and a photo.


Noctis has been learning from Ignis.

This all puts me strongly in the mood for watching an unspoiled FFXV LP. Let me know if there’s one any of you recommend!


Two parties of friends, two separate worlds.

My personal LP preferences: someone who is as unspoiled as possible, takes the story seriously (without constantly mocking it), enjoys it, and gets emotionally invested.

-Okay, this is pretty cool. I DO remember in FFXV fighting the FFXIV version of Garuda, and now in XIV we get to fight the XV version. She’s more of a guardian of power, not a domination-bent deity. I prefer that general take on primals.



This isn’t a knock on XIV btw! It just means that I tend to prefer the likes of XIV’s Ramuh than Garuda as far as character/purpose goes. 

-The fight against Garuda isn’t a FATE. It’s a solo instance, me and Noctis fighting together. And it’s TOUGH.

It takes me a couple of tries to get it down, because it introduces an XIV-version of warp striking. By the third attempt though, I see how to time the different parts, staying out of her giant AoEs and warping in for a link-strike at the last second.

-The trial complete, Garuda sends Noctis back through. (Achievement: “Brothers from Another Mothercrystal” LOLOL.) We even get a brief glimpse of Lunafreya through the portal.

Not TOO much of a glimpse. This is FFXV, after all. Can’t have Luna getting too much screentime or development. That way lies heresy.

-So that’s the event! What a fun one. The instances were challenging, but most of all, flavorful. They captured the music and feel of XV well for XIV, especially the warp-striking Garuda fight.




And now, Ququshu has both the Noctis outfit and a fresh new royal car.

---

The Legend of Musosai [Samurai 80]

Haven’t touched this story in a while. Over two years, to be precise: http://coldrungaming.blogspot.com/2019/03/ffxiv-p...

-I join the samurai Makoto in visiting her master’s grave, where she relates the 60-70 story.

-Interesting! A guy named Ostyrgrein – some prior villain’s bodyguard – is here, trying to turn over a new leaf and learn to become a samurai himself. He’s visiting the grave hoping to find inspiration.

I frigging LOVE his style! The guy (Ostyrgrein) looks like samurai by way of gay cowboy.


This is a compliment.

-We also see our lalafel friend Momozigo from the earlier quests spreading the story of Ququshu and Musosai. Honoring his memory and spreading the word.



The style that Momozigo uses is strongly reminiscent of that Japanese theater style where it’s basically just one person with a fan. (Though without the fan here.)

---

Random Stuff Around Eorzea


My friends and I venturing into a Shadowbringers treasure hunt.


The corpse-strewn battlefield of one attempt against the final Dalriada boss.


An awesome glam, though I didn’t get her name.


A glam I found that makes me look a bit like Unukalhai from the Warring Triad raid story.

-Some great player names I’ve seen recently:

References I Recognized
Myth Bustman
Shadow Alucard
Raphtalia Iwatani-san
Hatorii Hanzo
Dustiness Lalatina (YAY KONOSUBA!!)
Arc Reaktor
Amy Brewhouse
John Oliver
Immortan joe
Champagne Supernova
Imagine Wagons

Serious Fantasy Awesomeness
Artemis Bloodfallen
Alucia Lightwalker
Dextera Starshatter
Azursk Ironbane
Aeolia Frostman
Saphrina Eve

Just Silliness
Unicorn Unicorn
Aggressively Annoying
Kitty Purr
No Healz
M’ Lord
Jack O’loppe
Minidiarrhea Lactose
Kiss-my Axe
Dr Longslap
Comfort Eagle
Jolly Golly
Dmg Down
Swinkyy Pants
Smipple Mcsmoople
Roos ter

Food
Mister Strawberries
Miss Strawberries
Raffy Luvs’cookies
Bean Sneeze
Savage Mango
Banana Puddin
Cheese Cake
Captain Waffles
Sac Lunch
Glowing Burrito

---

Next time: Not sure, but I want to level up Gunbreaker and do Garuda extreme.