Saturday, December 25, 2021

FFXIV Endwalker - Part 16: The Great Work [Unspoiled]

Summary: Drowning in Nidhana's eyes. Industrious alchemists prepare for the Tower of Zot. Fandaniel pokes his head out. 

"Cease your shoving, or so help me...!" 
-Estinien 



 -I LOVE Nidhana's voice! It's sweet and high, at least for Nidhana. Internalized fatphobia is a hell of a drug. I feel embarrassed that I assumed the Matanga would have deep, heavy voices. There was no reason to assume that. 

-I'm enjoying my (terrible and cringe-worthy) voice acting because it helps cement the characters in my head. That said, I'm always hesitant about accents. When certain characters have canonical accents not generally used by white people, does it cause harm for me to try that accent? I think the answer is probably yes past a certain low point. 

I've tried giving these characters with canonically Indian (I think?) accents mild tones/outlines. But this could be like vocal blackface too! If I as a white person wants to dress up as Geordi La Forge, it's generally seen as okay with the shirt and visor and all, but 1000% not with changing skin color. 

Is a white person giving any sort of accent-based voice acting to a non-white character the equivalent of using make-up for skin color in a costume? Maybe I should do the same thing for voices, and just try to voice act the character's general pitch and tone with zero accent (whether British, Indian, or anything else) given. That's where I'm leaning. Let me know what you think. 

-I thought in Shadowbringers that Fandaniel was trying to be Kefka. His appearance here gave me a much different vibe though. 

SPOILERS FOR DANGANRONPA 1 AND THE ANIME: Whaxb Rabfuvzn. Avuvyvfgvp, ohg jvgu na vagragvbanyyl frys-qrsrngvat gjvfg. Jura Snaqnavry fnvq gung ur jnagrq gb frr ubj gur nypurzvfgf qrnyg jvgu uvf gbjre, rira gb uvf qrgevzrag, vg erzvaqrq zr bs Whaxb zrrgvat Znxbgb va gur navzr, whfg orsber gur riragf bs QE1. Fur PBHYQ unir xvyyrq uvz. Ohg fur jnf phevbhf gb frr ubj ur'q shpx hc ure cynaf.