Tuesday, September 13, 2016

FFX – Part 23: Electric Boogaloo

Summary: The Temple of Yevon-Djose. Success in the Cloister of Trials. Fanboy Barthello. Ixion.




Djose Temple

-I’m actually going to start this session by trying the tutorial Ochu again. I don’t like avoiding enemies or fleeing, so hoping to develop a strategy. In FFIX, I would’ve been able to just equip abilities that protected against every one of the Ochu’s breath statuses. Maybe eventually I can do that, or once I find Ribbons, but for now, I can’t.

-First strat – have Wakka silence it. That seemed to work. Its attacks still caused Poison, but if I equip Fire weapons and use Lulu’s new FIra, I can deal. It’s that Ochu Dance that wrecks me.

I mean, I don’t actually know if it worked, but it didn’t cast Ochu Dance while silenced. So… maybe? And even if not, Fira pours on the damage.

-Isaaru stops Tidus on our way in to pass on a rumor. That summoners on pilgrimage have been disappearing, more than would be expected.

-lol Isaaru’s little brother Pacce is adorable.



-This warning seems to come in good faith, confirming my believe that Isaaru is probably an okay guy. My current best guess is that Seymour is manipulating fiends somehow to take out summoners for… reasons.

---

Cloister of Trials

-The decoration in here and the lighting is amazing.

-Managed to supercharge a Djose sphere.



-There’s a twinkling floor beacon that makes my screen flash white whenever I step on it, but can’t figure out what to do with it yet.

-Opened the door with the supercharged sphere, but I don’t think that’s the end of this room yet.

-I DID A THING!! Went back to the prior room and inserted a sphere to light up this Spira symbol. Let’s finish it off.

-Oh, I see. The floor beacon that flashes white resets the piller.

-I managed to light up the whole Spira thing, but nothing happened. Hm. Moving on.

-The next room has an electric barrier. When the supercharged sphere is in the door, it charges the barrier, but I can’t take it out or else the door closes. Maybe I can use the pillar to prop the door open?

-No. Can’t get it just right. It’s either on the near or far side of the door. The game won’t let me use it to prop the door open.

-Maybe I can shove the pillar into the lightning pool? No.

-YES!!! I tried putting two non-supercharged Djose spheres into the pillar and pushing it in, and something’s happening.



-It let me jump across the lightning pool and activate the thing. That lit up the eye in the middle of the Spira symbol.

-Jackpot. Now a wall is glowing.

-Found a Destruction Sphere behind the hidden wall.

-The place where the pillar was turned into an electric elevator. Hopefully I can use the Destruction Sphere upstairs.

-No. Wait. Chill, Coldrun. Try elsewhere first. I have to assume that like the prior two places, I’ll lose my ability to explore pretty soon, so try all I can to use the Destruction Sphere downstairs first.

-Spent another 5 minutes or so of trial and error down here. No luck. Ok, I’ll go upstairs. Trying to lower expectations right now, and assume that I won’t find a spot for this destruction sphere. That’s okay. I’ll find it on replay if I don’t now.

-This temple keeps going up.

-GOD I LOVE THE LOOK OF THIS PLACE

-SUCCESS!!! FINALLY



-Got a Magic Sphere. Lulu or Yuna…? Lulu. Wait, no, Yuna. I think I gave the last Magic Sphere to Lulu.

-Made it to what seems to be the Fayth. Yuna’s praying, everyone else is waiting.

-And in walks Dona. Why is she such a dickasaurus rex? I’m pretty sure there’s no rush, that I can get a Ramuh and she can get a Ramuh and oprah.gif. Now she’s siccing Barthello on us. Boss fight incoming.

-WAIT THIS IS THE BEST TURN OF EVENTS – Barthello seems to hero-worship Auron Unless he’s being sarcastic.



-I love this I love this I love this. I thought Barthello was just gonna be like Crabbe or Goyle to Dona’s Draco, but he’s actually got his own thing going.

LOLOLOL

BARTHELLO: “I swear, I’ll never wash this hand again.”
DONA: “Please! Touch me with that hand and I’ll remove it.”

-kimahri ily



-Okay, everyone’s telling me to ctfo, so going to pick a spot and just stand here a bit.

*two minutes later*

-Nothing happened. Maybe if I try leaving?

-Yup. That did it. Yuna stumbles out, exhausted. I like how physical they make this process seem for the summoner.

-As she comes out, Dona starts to taunt her. That everything she gained is from being Lord Braska’s daughter, her guardians, her talent, her position. You know, she’s not entirely wrong. To the extent at least of being a summoner, Yuna has quite a bit of privilege.



Not that Dona has to be a jackwagon about it.

-hahahaha wtf tidus. As Dona’s giving her evil mwa-ha-ha speech, he’s like dancing and shadowboxing in the background like a goofball

-Dona enters the chamber, saying that eventually Yuna will be on her own. Like, for the Final Summoning? Probably. But we’ll still be there to support her.

-Yay! The fayth gave us a new aeon. It’s not actually Ramuh. Ixion.



Interesting – I wonder what’s behind the decision to keep Ifrit, say, and not Ramuh? My best guess is that Ramuh was just an old man, and not beastly enough for the way aeons are portrayed in this game, so they came up with someone new.

---

The Next Day

-Everyone getting ready to go as soon as Yuna’s ready.

-Gatta is inside the temple. Planning to leave for Besaid.

-Yuna’s still sleeping. She’s amazing. Wasn’t just enough to pray to the fayth. She also was healing the sick, Sending the fallen.

-She’s so panicked, waking up and seeing that she’s the last one up.



-Calm down, Yuna! You did a week’s work in a night. Chill. Everyone outside kind of teases her, but it’s very light and friendly, mussing her hair and the like.





---

Next time: blitzball, then on with the pilgrimage.