Saturday, May 22, 2021

FF Type-0 - Part 33: Escape from Milites [Unspoiled]

Summary: Aria. An assassination. Running to catch a train pursued by a monster.


--- 

 


Five Thoughts/Questions

1) HOLY SHIT THAT ARIA DEATH??? I really thought she was safe so soon after getting her character arc. Again, Type-0's strength is just blindsiding you with brutality more than probably any game in the series.

You can probably argue for stuff like Galuf in V or Kefka poisoning Doma in VI, but I find this to be a different category of brutality. Not better or worse, just very different.

2) King's Point-Blank Shot did so much more than I had expected. That ability has some pop. So does Machina's Cyclone Drill. That thing FUCKS. BOSSES. UP. (unless they step to the side like a foot, machina's only weakness)

3) I initially thought Milites assassinated the Concordian queen and set us up, but I like Queen's explanation much more. Makes more sense that Rubrum would try to push the offensive against Milites and either sacrifice us or seem to sacrifice us and assume we could get ourselves out of the jam.

4) I couldn't think of his name during the session, but Supersoldier Akkad reminded me strongly of FFXIV's Grynewaht - specifically, the Hypertuned Grynewaht boss at the end of Doma Castle.

5) I love the chase aspect Akkad added to this section! Once I figured out I wasn't supposed to fight him, he became like a horror movie monster, a force of nature to be avoided. He also had the intimidating presence and oversized weapon of a Dark Souls boss. Big, big fan.