Saturday, June 11, 2016

FFIX – Part 18: Hot and Cold

Summary: Exploring the chocobo stuff in this game that is way more fun than it has any right to be. Gizamaluke’s Grotto.


Chocobo Forest

-A chocobo and a moogle approach me. Mene the Moogle and Choco the chocobo.

-Nice title screen!



-Zidane asked if a cute girl came here. Mene said no, but an “ugly girl” came by through. (Not very nice, Mene.) I wonder who he means.

-Choco seems nervous.

-We can use Gysahl Greens on choco tracks in the world and call a chocobo. Mene asks us to come back after we summon Choco in the wild for a secret.

-This is a pretty big chocobo forest with nothing in it. I’ll bet when we come back later, something will be up. Perhaps not a mini game as elaborate as FFVIII, but something.

-Digging the calm chocobo music. [Later edit: the more I heard it, the more it became my favorite chocobo music in the series.]

-Mene wants us to train choco. Perhaps an FFVII-esque training thing is in FFIX.

-Choco’s last master was mean and he ran away. BOO TO THE LAST MASTER. Who the hell would be mean to a chocobo?

-Went outside to summon Choco, and even the chocobo-riding music is more relaxed than usual! More bouncy than frantic.

-Returned to the Chocobo Forest. Let’s hear what the big secret is!

-Choco can dig up secret items underground. A mini game we can play for 60gil.

-Seems like it’s gonna be a game of hot or cold. Or rather, “kweh? Or KWEEEEHH!”

-OH GOD YESSSS IT’S THE MUSIC FROM THE DUEL IN THE ALEXANDRIA PLAY



-Found a “Stone with Patterns,” and I leveled up Choco’s beak (lol).

-Gave the stone to Mene and he said it’s like a treasure map that I can use Choco to hunt for something in the world outside. It’s a “Chocograph.”

-We might find cards this way.

-This mini game gets me points, and I can trade in the points for different items with Mene.

-hahaha just found two “Annoyntments,” which cure the trouble status.

-Played Hot & Cold a few more times and found a Chocograph piece. It’s a key item. Something about danger in the sky.

-Found another Chocograph Piece.



*15 minutes later, Choco beak level 7*

what stop staring hey DON’T JUDGE ME THIS IS TONS OF FUN

-So I’ve gotten a few more Chocograph Pieces, but they don’t seem to add anything to my key item. They just give me points. I take this to mean that I have to find the rest of the Chocograph Pieces in the other Chocobo Forests.

---

Overworld

-The last thing I want to do before I head up to Burmecia is explore the southeast part of the continent that’s open to me, east of the Chocobo Forest.

-Found another Ragtime Mouse!

-Oh man, I don’t know. The question this time is whether “I Want to Be Your Canary” was written by Lord Afon. I don’t know. Though I seem to remember seeing something that Princess Garnet studied the works of Lord Afon as proof that she was ready to act, so I’ll guess true.



-I guessed wrong.

-wait, are you kidding me? Choco doesn’t run away when I dismount? THIS IS SO GLORIOUS.

-The southeast beach is called Derek Bay.

-Whoa. I misunderstood the Chocograph. It gives me a new clue each time that I explore in the overworld.



-Found the first treasure chest: 2 elixirs, 3 ethers, 4 hi-potion, 2 Germinas Boots. Yes please.

-A few more Chocograph pieces are grayed out, probably meaning that they’re inaccessible. The next one that is accessible is for a river, but I don’t think it’s in this area. I think it’s the river between the Evil Forest and the Ice Cavern.

-Definitely gonna be spending a bunch of time on this.

-More digging in that Chocobo Forest. Stopped when I hit Choco Level 11 and 272 points.

-Found another Chocograph chest!



5 potions, 5 hi-potions, 2 tents, 2 cotton robes.

-One of the chocograph clues tells me to look for a beach near a city with high winds. There’s a chance this might be a pun. Dragoons in past FFs have had the name “Highwind,” so perhaps if there are a bunch of dragoons in Burmecia there may be “high winds” there.

-Found the other end of the South Gate. And coffee is here!
http://i.imgur.com/HtuYiYL.jpg

One coffee down, two to go. (hee! The flavor text on Moccha Coffee is a quote from Cinna, a “closet lover” of coffee.)

-Ok, I think I’m ready to progress now.

---

Gizamaluke’s Grotto

-Liking the harpsichord. Intense.

-A number of Burmecian soldiers are dead at the entrance.



Freya is devastated, and worried for her king.

-A door inside here won’t budge.

-There’s a Burmecian guard in here. Dying. She says they took the Burmecians’ bells, whatever that means. She gives us a bell.

-Bells have traditionally been used in FF games by geomancers. Is that what this is? Under key items, the description is a warning on the bell: “Cherish this moment, for happiness is elusive.” Huh.

-We promise to protect the king. The soldier dies.

-Aha. The bell opens the door we couldn’t pass before.



-Black mages are inside, killing the Burmecian guards.

-fucking zorn and thorn are here because of course they are.



They send some black mages at us.

-Tried to eat a low health black mage. “I no can eat!” Killed the mages and the jesters ran.

-Killed a black mage wandering around and took his bell. There are a bunch of doors to try. I try the far right door.

-This Lamia looks awesome but hurts like hell.



I’m also prolonging the fight to get to the point where I hurt it and eat it rather than kill it outright.

-Finally! Got Lev 3 – Def Less.

-Moved into a central room with a moogle and a huge bell. The moogle is trying to reach their “Darling” inside the bell. She’s Mogmi. Her husband is under the bell.

-THEY WERE JUST MARRIED AND “SCARY CLOWNS” ATTACKED. Zorn and Thorn attacked moogle honeymooners. Death is the only appropriate response.

-Mogmi smells the Kupo Nut on Vivi.



-hahahaha it was like a Scooby Snack basically. The possibility of eating a Kupo Nut gave the moogle husband inside the strength to lift the bell.

-They run off together, leaving a bell behind. That was adorable.

-There are two more doors bell doors in this room, but I want to backtrack. There were bell doors in the front hall I want to try.

-The door out there leads to a wounded Burmecian soldier who gives me a bell.

-Back in the big bell room. Two doors. I’ll try left first since I’m a lefty.

-Huh. The left door won’t respond to a bell ring. Right door it is then.

-The moogles are in the room beyond and they’re still adorable.

-Mogmi reads a letter from Moodon. Not a wedding congratulations, but rather an excited retelling of the Festival of the Hunt and how Freya dominated, blowing Belna’s point total from last year out of the water. Go Freya!

-Was about to crawl up a vine, but the moogles say that that’s the way out. I don’t want to go out just yet so let’s find a different way.

-About to head out of the room and Moguta stops us and gives us a Holy Bell in thanks for our Kupo Nut.



If I get more, I’ll have to remember to find him again.

-The message on the Holy Bell: “The angel is ready to fly. Follow your heart and fly away.” Angel fight coming?

-This bell opens the door we couldn’t open before. A Burmecian soldier is wounded here, warning us that Master Gizamulake has gone wild, controlled by Zorn and Thorn.

-Water monster boss time!


Gizamaluke.

-Zidane is in a trance. His “Scoop Art” (not sure what that means) trance ability does huge physical damage.

-Quina went into a trance. Their “eat” ability is replaced with “Cook.” Let’s see what that does.

-Aw dang. The boss died before I could steal or try Cook. Well, that was quick lol.

---

Next time: Steiner and Dagger.