Sunday, June 19, 2016

FFIX – Part 24: Sandy Tree Friends

Summary: Cleyra. Sandy labyrinth in the tree and pastoral settlement at the top. Prince Puck and the Antlion. The sandstorm fades.
tw: large insect/spider looking thing.


Cleyra’s Trunk

-The party gets up from its encounter with Beatrix, dusts itself off, and leaves for Cleyra.

-We can now enter the sandstorm. Cleyra’s Trunk.



-It’s a giant tree surrounded by a sandstorm.

-Ate a Dragonfly for Matra Magic. Reduces target’s HP to 1.

-Encountered a sand golem. When I kill it, its core is exposed. It reforms if I don’t kill the core quickly enough.



-Cilmbed a series of chains to a perch in a tree trunk that just overlooks an area I was just at. Hm. I feel like I’m missing something here. There are little sandy pourings everywhere. Perhaps something will cause the pourings to become cascades and I’ll have to use that higher perch to access somewhere new.

-Oh god. Really? There’s a dark hole and the game’s gonna make me stick my hand inside it.

-Whew. Just a lever. It redirected the sand, and did exactly what I thought it might about two bullet points ago. I just had expected it to happen when I was about to leave Cleyra, not as part of the climbing puzzle.

-Monev the moogle. Gave him the letter from Atla, telling about the dangerous mages who destroyed Burmecia.

-I think I’ve gotten a strategy down now for Sand Golems. They’re tough monsters because you have to kill the core, but if you just attack the core straight off they counterattack hard. I wait until all my characters are at full ATB, have the first one take out the sandy part, and then go ham on the core. When the sandy part is destroyed, it can’t counter.

-I’m nearing the city of Cleyra, but there was treasure on a lower level that I couldn’t reach and it’s bugging me.



But I tried everywhere I can think of to find a way to that higher ledge.

-Gah. Whatever. I’ve done enough rounds searching for a way up at this point. I’ll try again later.

-Ate a Carrion Worm and learned Auto-Life, an awesome spell that’s really helpful against huge deathrattles. Matra Magic really helps a lot with Quina’s eating.



-This party is almost level 20. I’ll have to spend some grinding time on Steiner and Dagger to get them up to speed.

-Reached a little quicksand pit area. I intentionally went into them all in case one of them dropped me down to the lower level treasure, but no luck. Just some scorpions.

-Found another lever to pull! Does that help me reach treasure? …alas, no. Not the treasure down below at least.

-I see. It opened up the way to an elixir.

-HELL YES. LEARNED WHITE WIND. In quite an odd way. I was fighting a raven monster, a Zuu. It swallowed up Zidane, and then Quina ate the Zuu. So… Quina ate Zidane?

-Finally. Ascended past all the sand mazes and to the town.

---

Cleyra Settlement

-Two Cleyrans (who definitely look ratlike, as expected) meet us at the gate. Forest Oracle Kildea and Sand Oracle Satrea.

-The sound here is great. The music is peaceful, but you can also hear the whipping wind and sandstorm loudly.



-The oracles knew to expect “Lady Freya” because the Burmecian king told them she was coming.

-Freya leaves with one of the oracles to see the king. The other oracles stays behind to guide us around the town, though Quina wants to go off on her own for “yummy yummies.” I smell ATE!

-There’s a waterfall up here. Wow.

-Usually a busy town, but no market today.

-This is amazing. They use a windmill powered by the sandstorm to pump water up from all the way in the ground. Is this system what Kuja will attack?



-There’s an observatory, where they “pray” to the sandstorm. But also a cathedral, with a high priest and a harp that powers the sandstorm.

-This town is just such a unique construction.

-Found a sandpit. I really want to jump down it in case it leads me to treasure below, but hoping I can find a save moogle in town first. 

---

No Yummy-Yummies!

-One guess whose ATE this is.



-lololol they start chasing some locals and scaring them as they asks whether the locals can make various foods Quina’s heard of. XD

---

Don’t Hate Me

-Vivi. Why is it… oh god, it’s called this because he looks like the people who destroyed the home of the Burmecian refugees here.



-NOOOO DON’T BE MEAN TO VIVI HE’S NOT LIKE THE OTHERS

---

Zidane in Cleyra

-A Cleyran named Moon Maiden Claire says that the sandstorm is specifically maintained by a sacred dance performed to the melody of a harp adorned with a magic stone.

-Won a “Ragtimer” (ragtime mouse) card.

-Interesting. The innkeeper is called the Night Oracle.

-The moogle in the inn, Mopli, has a letter for Zidane. From Ruby. Her theater’s started, but she can’t find actors. Aww! Mopli wants to become an actor.

-Forest Oracle Kildea says that the sandpit is the home of the Antlion. Hi, FFIV! And how interesting that we have a harp in the same town as the Antlion (who’s now somewhat tame).

-oh lord. The name of this next ATE….

---

I-I Haven’t Hurt Anyone

-THIS IS AWFUL



-The Burmecians chased Vivi into the inn, screaming insults at him.

-The innkeeper, Night Oracle Donnegan, has a cooler head.

---

Zidane in Cleyra

-Ran up to the inn, and it looks like the Burmecians are standing outside of it now. A bit repentant.

-Whew.



-VIVIIIII DON’T HANG YOUR HEAD, YOU’RE PERFECT

---

There a Mushroom!

-Quina spotting a mushroom, and super excited.



-This is new to them. They hope it’s edible, look around to see if anyone’s watching, and dive in. 
 
---

Around Cleyra

-The naming conventions here are fascinating. Some are maidens, some are oracles, each of different things.

-Went to the cathedral. Not allowed in. The talk between the Burmecian king and Freya is still ongoing, so Zidane is asked to wait at the inn.

-Wind Maiden Eileen tells us that Cleyra values dance more than Burmecia, and Burmecia values war more than Cleyra.

-Crap! On the way back to the inn, a Burmecian says that the Antlion is mauling a kid.

-The Cleyran that the Burmecian informs calmly walks up towards the cathedral to inform the high priest. Fuck that. We gotta save the kid.

-JESUS. That’s one creepy-ass monster.



It’s the urticating hairs that make it especially gross imo.

-hahahaha – Freya comes, asks if the kid is ok, Zidane says yes, and the kid strenuously objects: “Like hell, I’m fine!”

-Wait. The kid is Puck? “PRINCE PUCK?” Two things:

1)It’s Vivi’s buddy! And by “buddy,” I mean the jerkface who abandoned Vivi. (Though I get that he’s a kid and was scared, so I won’t hold it against him.)
2)He’s a PRINCE? I thought he was just a random street kid in Alexandria. How the hell did he get over here, and… I mean, he’s a prince??

-The Antlion flings Puck (safely) away and it’s boss time.

-He uses a Sandstorm attack to reduce our health to minimal. White Wind is a blessing here.



-Stole a Gold Helm.

-VICTORY!

-Prince Puck. Prince Puck. Freya kneels to him, calls him “Your Highness,” the whole nine yards.

-Puck is exceptionally blasé about the whole thing. Doesn’t want to see his dad, speaks very casually. And he runs off.

VIVI: “He was the first friend I ever had!”

MY FEEEELS!!! Vivi runs after to tell Puck something.

---

Strengthening the Storm

-We see Freya talking to the King of Burmecia. Puck.. wow, Puck has been away for three years.

-And both Puck and Freya returned to warn the king of danger. Aw.

-The plan is now for the Cleyrans and Burmecians to perform a ritual dance that will strengthen the storm further. Freya will help.

-Freya’s really changed a lot. So determined to help her people now. To fulfill Sir Fratley’s wishes as best she can.

-The ceremony begins. They dance, and it’s so great.



I love seeing Freya like this. It’s hard to describe why. She just seems fully herself, fully in her element. Like she was ashamed before while this, this person right here and right now, is who she wants to be.

-..the harp strings snapped. That can’t be good.

-well crap. Cinematic, of the sandstorm dissipating.



---

Next time: Alexandria.