Thursday, June 30, 2016

FFIX – Part 34: Eiko Eiko

Summary: Mawwiage. Through the Condor Petie mountain pass. A new party member and her moogle.


Conde Petie

-Sanctuary is on the other side of the valley that the city overhangs. That’s what the dwarves who blocked us before were guarding.

-It sounds like you need to go through a certain ceremony to be allowed through.


The true hero of FFIX.

-No Stiltkin sightings.

-Have to find and speak to “his holiness.” Probably that Father David guy we read about.

-Found him!

-Hee! Dagger’s totally on board with getting hitched with Zidane for the ceremony.

-Ok, so we’re doing this.



-Zidane’s really hesitant about this. Dagger’s much more casual.

-hahaha, she’s subverting the shit out of his expectations.

ZIDANE: “(She’s supposed to get angry and say no way!)”

-omg Zidane is such a dork



-At the ceremony’s conclusion, he dives in (literally) for a kiss. She just calmly nopes out and walks away.

-We reach the twins who were blocking our way. They let us pass.

-The thief shows up, the girl with the purple hair.

-HER MOOGLE BUDDY IS NAMED “MOG????”

-They escaped in our direction. During the confusion and bustle, Vivi and Quina snuck past. Full party again.

---

Mountain Path

-The girl is here stuck on a branch. Mog saw us and peaced out, leaving his companion in the dust.



Dick move, Mog!

-The music right now is so relaxed. Strolling through the country music.

-hee! As the girl is begging us not to eat her (I guess she’s not familiar with humans?) Quina jokingly (…maybe) says they’ll find Mog to eat. The girl freaks out.

-She says she’s not a kid, “like that kid in blue.” Hm. Could be just a child who doesn’t want to be treated that way, or could be some ancient forest spirit or some damn thing for all I know. [Later edit: only noticed when reviewing screenshots afterwards that she’s actually 6.]

-NEW PARTY MEMEBR HJDKLSFHDJKLSFHDJKLSFHDJKLS



-Welcome to the party, Eiko! Are you the one who uses poison claws I wonder?

-From the little I now know of here, I expect the quantity of shit she takes from anyone to be approximately zero.



-hahah, Zidane keeps playing up the marriage thing. “My dearest” and “Anything for my lovely wife” and stuff like that.

-Interesting. Eiko’s weapon isn’t martial artsy. It’s a flute.

-Eiko has the same basic set-up as Dagger, with summoning and white magic. I’m a bit sad that Quina ran away – would’ve rather Dagger left for pure combat and blue magic collecting reasons.

-Just tried out a summon. A new one for the series, Fenrir.



This seems to be FFIX’s Titan or Brothers, the quaker. It’s strange. It’s a wolf (which I expected by the name), but it arrives on a giant owl statue and causes a giant arm to rip out of the earth. [Non-rhetorical question for y’all: is the owl and earthquake connection to Fenrir based in some kind of mythology?]

-Found a blue stone set into a statue. I have the choice whether to take it out or not. Hm…

-Ok. Took it, and found a red stone in a statue nearby. The item descriptions are quotes from David Heavenguard. The red stone is tied to fire somehow, the blue to water.

-Just noticed that Eiko has little wings that let her float. Cool!

-Found Stiltzkin and Suzuna the moogle here. Bought another pack from Stiltzkin and gave Suzuna the letter from Mogmatt in Conde Petie. Mogmatt’s adjusting well to Conde Petie, but has trouble saying “Rally Ho” instead of “Rally Kupo.”

-We spy a gigantic tree in the distances, whose roots cover the whole dang land. Sanctuary? Looks Cleyra-ish. I wonder if that’s coincidence or if they’re related.

-Found a statue thing to place the red and blue stones. I do so and nothing happens. There’s still an empty hole. One stone left to find I think.

-Backtracked to the beginning to see if I missed it, and I don’t see any other statues. Maybe it’s further along.

-Earthquake! And boss? Yeah, a big green dude.


Hilgigars. Nice play on the Hill Gigas we usually run into.

-Not too tough. Healed up, damaged with spells, and tried stealing a bunch with Zidane.

-They’re surprised that Eiko can summon. Her whole village and family can as well apparently. Shades of Rydia.

-What the dwarves call Sanctuary, Eiko (and “everyone else”) calls the Iifa Tree.

-Aha! Found the yellow stone just past the boss. Let’s go back, pop it in the main stone hub, and see what happens.

-Wait, what’s going on? How do I get back there? Went into some new place and found a Green Stone.

-I see. I was having trouble differentiating the path from the background. (This was a bit of an issue in FFVII as well.) Got back to the stone, added the green and yellow stones, and something popped out: a Moonstone. Neat. Not super useful off the bat, but I like getting stuff.

-There are two directions we can leave in: the Pualei Plains, where the Iifa Tree is, or the Lucid Plains. I think the Lucid Plains is where Eiko’s village is. Let’s start there.

-Another Ragtime Mouse. I have pretty much zero confidence I’ll get this right, but let’s give it a shot.

-Ooh, I may know this one! “True or false: Berkmea Cable Cars have been running for 8 years.” True! I cheated by looking it up in my notes, but I don’t really think of something that I wrote down myself as cheating. YMMV. 1k gil reward.

---

Lucid Plains

-This area is north of the continent.

-I feel sad seeing all these new monsters and not having Quina with me to taste them. Will have to backtrack when I get them back.

-The beach here is called Banyano Shores.

-My heart is crying out for another Chocobo Forest. NEED MOAR CHOCOGRAPH PIECES PLZ.

-Saving outside what I believe will be Eiko’s village.



---

Next time: Eiko’s village. Probably.