Saturday, July 9, 2016

FFIX – Part 41: City People

Summary: The party returns to Dark City Treno. Special focus on Eiko and Amarant. Quina’s back! Catoblepas.


Treno – Tot’s Tower

-Tot wanted to talk to Eiko about Madain Sari. She wants to put it off a bit to sightsee.

-lol Eiko wants Vivi to show her around. He’s so nervous!



*hugs Vivi* Freya leaves to do her thing, and Amarant walks off silently.

-Zidane will go sign up for the card tournament. Tot is a skilled player and offers to help him practice. (Like, if you wouldn’t mind telling us the BASIC RULES OF THE GAME that’d be lovely. But noooo, it’s a secret.)

---

Eiko Talks Life

-Eiko and Vivi around town. Vivi wonders why Eiko didn’t invite Zidane; I think she’s… well, not over it now, but over the idea that it’ll actually happen.

-Eiko has a really intricate grasp of Zidane’s relationship with Dagger and the problems therein. She’s an especially sharp 6 year old.



Vivi is just confused.

-Eiko runs off ahead to the card stadium. A passer-by recognizes Vivi (a bit ominous imo) and we fade out.

---

How He Ended Up Here

-Guessing this’ll be an Amarant ATE by the name.

-Nope – it’s Vivi. With the passerby. His name is Marco. I don’t remember him, but it sounds like he helped Vivi aboard the airship by giving him free passage from his master.

-Oh, wait! Maybe he’s someone new. He’s knew that Vivi lived near Treno (though I thought his family had died, or at least his grandfather), and probably was the guy who helped Vivi get passage to Alexandria for the play in the first place before we met him.



-Marco leaves. I get the chance for Vivi to either stop by home or stay in Treno. Whew. This is a helluva tough choice. I think Vivi would stay in Treno and wouldn’t wander off alone without telling Zidane lest he get worried, but if this is the only chance to see Vivi’s home I don’t want to blow it. I choose home.

-Eiko’s gonna be pissed at Vivi for ditching her. But she ran off without waiting up for him first, so I’m okay with it I guess. She probably will be too.

---

Memories by the Water

-This is an Amarant ATE. He’s around the Stellazzio residence. He used to hang here? Makes sense.

-A four-armed dude (…probably not THAT four-armed dude, and I think Gilgamesh had more than four arms anyway now that I think about it) comes out of the residence, pissed that the pigeon lady didn’t fall for his counterfeit coins.

-The Four-Armed Man bumps into Amarant and tries to start some shit, until he recognizes who he was about to mess with.



-hahaha Eiko comes by and scolds Amarant for giving his death stare to the guy.



-Amarant just walks off. The four-armed man is surprised that he has a “soft spot for kids,” that he’s traveling with a kid. I’ll just say that I think the four-armed man badly misinterpreted Eiko’s relationship with Amarant.

-A woman outside the Stellazzio place says something that makes me reconsider.



Maybe there actually is something to the zodiac stories in the backstory/mythology of the game.

-More Stellazzio coin turn-ins. Libra for a Blood Sword. Virgo for 5,000 gil. Leo for an elixir. 6 Stellazzio turned in.

The Blood Sword is an interesting get. It’s traditionally been a sword with high power and the ability to drain health but very low accuracy. It was super overpowered in FFII apparently, able to kill the final boss in a few hits, but I only learned that after the fact.

-A scholar is here and wants to buy Doga’s Artifact from us for 10,000 gil. Hm. Let me see what this artifact is since I can’t remember.

-OH HEY! New updates to key items. We have all four of the jewels: Silver Pendant, Falcon Claw, Memory Earring, and Desert Star.



-Ok, I remember now. Doga’s Artifact is the one we won at auction. My notes say we spent 9,000 gil on it, and I really don’t want to just sell it for 10,000 gil. The only thing that makes me hesitate is the possibility that if I sell it to this guy he might give us something neat down the line.

-Nah. I’ll take the risk. Won’t sell it.

-GAH I REALLY DON’T KNOW – What if this IS the purpose of getting it, and finding this scholar who wants it is the good thing? I just have no way of knowing if it’s that or if the Scholar is the bad way.

-Yeah. I’ll keep it. Strangely enough, if he just asked for it for free, I’d have given it to him in a heartbeat. The 10k gil makes me think it’s a trap.

-I overhear that Dark Matter is the main auction item tonight.

-Interesting! Someone in the front row is always there to buy the main attraction, but if we can convince him to buy something else he might go for it. I don’t know what Dark Matter really is, but I WANT IT. Too bad I only have like 15k gil so I probably won’t get it. [Later edit: I wasn’t able to talk to anyone in the auction, so this was either a mechanic I didn’t get or pure flavor text.]

---

City People

-This is an ATE about some of the random Treno nobles.

-They’re discussing various statues of stuff they’re buying for their mansions. A griffon statue and a behemoth statue come up. Could just be flavor text, but could also be setting up a scenario where the monsters come horribly to life.

-lolol Eiko’s listening to them complain about how these mansion additions cost so much and basically rolls her eyes hard at them.

-Wait. I take it back. She’s not eye-rolling so much as surprised. She thought they’d be carefree and they’re not.

-crap. The four-armed dude comes up to her. Can we please not have someone kidnap Eiko yet again?



-lolol she calls him “Mr. Wimpy” for getting pushed around by Amarant. He offers to take her around the city to see the sights, and I’m surprised he’s not just skeevily yelling “WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CAAANDY LITTLE GIRL? MWA-HA-HA…” I trust him 0%.

-She sees right through him. Says she won’t go with him, and starts to walk away. He’s looking for a way to get to Amarant, for the sake of the bounty on his head.

-NO DON’T DO IT EIKO!! He offers to get her dinner, and we know she’s got an appetite. She considers it.

-QUINAAAAAA!!!!!! Quina walks up behind the four-armed man and I’m no longer worried for Eiko.

-hahaha Quina hears him describing the food and they want in.

-tdfashfldashfadjklsh I can’t I can’t



The four-armed guy thinks Quina is Amarant’s hired bodyguard, runs screaming and Quina chases after him hoping to get the delicious Treno food he was talking about.

-Eiko doesn’t know what to make of this and picks up the Chimera Bracelet the guy dropped as he ran.



---

Zidane in Treno

-I could go to the Card Arena now, but don’t want to just yet. That feels like it might end the segment and I want to explore more first.

-Awww!! Found two cats nose to nose on a roof.

-Found the local moogle, Mogrich. He got a letter from Artemicion for what Artemicion described as possibly the last time. Why? What’s wrong with him?

-The letter is from Kupo in Alexandria. Talking about a new champion sprinter, Hippaul. YAY!!! GO HIPPAUL! And go Vivi for helping him train.

-Oho! A new challenge in the basement of the knight’s house to fight. Looks like Catoblepas. Let’s try it. Got Beast Slayer and Auto-Potion for abilities, and also took Jelly in case it’s a petrifier.

-This attempt around will be to steal stuff and scope it out.

-Yup! Catoblepas. Jelly was a good choice. It used “Devil’s Bell” on me, but Zidane got a “Guard” effect so I can assume it was a petrify attempt.



-It used Thundara. Next attempt, I’ll try for a lightning resist piece.

-I keep getting “Couldn’t steal anything,” which tells me there’s something worth stealing… oh right! I can use “Detect.” Just a phoenix pinion. Not worth trying for.

-Died. Next attempt. Swapping a Silk Shirt in place of Brigandine. Way less physical defense, but halves thunder damage received and it was Thundara that did the most damage.

-Victory! Two-shot him. 15,000 gil prize. Woot!

-I wonder if we’ll ever actually meet the knight who has this gladiator arena in her basement.

-Sold some stuff to help with the auction, but not much. I don’t know what I’ll need down the road for synthesis, so I sell stuff I’m not using where my stock is greater than two.

---

Next time: the auction house and continuing in Treno.