Wednesday, July 27, 2016

FFIX – Part 57: Daguerreo Types

Summary: Finishing up before Ipsen’s Castle. Tetra Master. Choco. The watery library of Daguerreo. THE FOUR ARMED MAAAAAN


Treno

-No new monsters in the Knight’s basement.

-Turned in the Scorpio. Got a Black Belt.

-While I’m here, I’m going to try to notch a win against each of the Tetra Master competitors in the stadium.

-I love the competitor names here. They sound like characters from a 1920s detective novel. Moody Lafrecia. Luscious Ellie. Card Freak Cil. Gambler Crecchio.



-Beat all four. Nothing special happened. But they all have pretty good and interesting cards, so I think I’ll try playing some more. (I know, I said I wouldn’t bother with Tetra Master anymore, but what can I say? It hooked me again. )

-That was fun. Currently 190-91-57 in Tetra Master. Getting much more comfortable with using combos. I don’t really need to know all the details of the rules to be able to play effectively and strategically.

---

General Exploration

-HAHAHAHAHA VICTORYYYY

-I went from Treno to Quan’s Dwelling, to see if there was anything new. Turns out there was. I got the option to use a Dead Pepper on Choco from this high balcony, and he did a nose dive to find treasure below.



Got Tiger Racket among other things, like a Red Rose card. And an achievement for getting the Tiger Racket. Legendary Racket it seems. That’s awesome!

-I’ve noticed that this game often gives me a similar feeling as I get from a really good crossword puzzle. Where you’re working on an answer, and you keep getting more and more letters filled in but can’t quite finish it, and then BOOM!! The light switch turns on, the answer jumps from the tip of your tongue to the page, and you rejoice.

So satisfying.

-Tried using a Dead Pepper to bust past the petrified door back into the Evil Forest. No luck.

-This enclosed glowy area south of the Lost Continent is really bugging me. I wonder if that’s just something that opens up later.

-Returned to Esto Gaza, but no new dialogue despite us having gone to the Air Garden.

-Hm. I think I might have been mistaken. Maybe the Shimmering Island is the place that I just said was bugging me, NOT the Air Garden. Yeah, that seems likely.

-Tried Dead Peppering the glowy island. No luck. Not surprising, but one of the denizens of Chocobo’s Paradise gave me 99 Dead Peppers so no reason not to try.

-I wonder if the Choco now with flight can get past the Gusty Valley. I doubt it since wind would likely affect him even more now…. Yeah, no. I can get close to the entrance but no option to fly into it.

-Found what looks to be an entirely new area. I’d passed it by in my searches sometimes, and will now try entering.

-This place is “Sacrobless Island.” Sounds super holy.

---

Daguerreo



-A library? Pleasant music. Seems non-threatening on the surface.

-Water on the ground floor. Despite it being a library. Hm. Intentional or damaged/flooded?

-Got the Capricorn Stellazzio: “Impatient Capricorn ran up a hill toward the sun and fell asleep from exhaustion.”

-oh lord, the Four-Armed Man is back here. “Just because I’m famous, doesn’t mean I’m gonna tell you my name.” …you’re not hunting for Excalibur by chance, are you? Cause if so…

-He’s shocked at my treasure hunter rank. I’m now ranked S. Achievement unlocked! I guess this rank thing must be related to the chocograph treasures as well as the stuff Choco digs out of mountains and oceans. Awesome.

He gets super deferential, “Sorry for my rudeness, no disrespect intended!” etc.

-Noggy is the moogle here. I was looking for Kumool next, but perhaps Kumool will be in Ipsen’s Castle.

-The synthesist here describes Daguerro as “where knowledge and water come together.” Some kind of peaceful super library.

-Got another achievement, “Coming Together.” I think it’s because I’ve used the Synthesist enough.

-A scholar here says that moonlight isn’t a reflection of sunlight, since there’s still moonlight even during a dual eclipse. The cosmology of this place is fascinating – I have a feeling Ipsen’s Castle will answer many of my questions.

-lol at the books here.



-Engineer Zebolt is here, researching power sources. Doesn’t know where all this water comes from. Myth says it comes from a “dragon god.” Yikes. Smells like Leviathan, but I already have his gem.

-omg. Omg omg omg. Someone here is researching a legend with the power to restart people’s lives. I think it’s going to be some Asura-esque healing eidolon, but he asks to see my Namingway Tetra Master card. The dude who let you change your name in FFIV is this guy’s idol. XD

-He was INSPIRED by Namingway and offers to change our names. I’m tempted to do it for Dagger – not because I dislike Dagger, but because it might be something she herself would want to do given her identity evolution. But nah.

-The weaponsmith here has a broken lift that’s hurting his business. I saw a lift earlier, so maybe I can solve this.

-Found a shrine to the dragon god that lets me convert Ore to Aquamarine.



I mean, it sounds nice, but not sure how useful it is. I already have the Aquamarine. Maybe I should be using these gems as consumables. Worth a try.

-Aw! The four-armed man apologizes. He is a rank-D treasure hunter and was talking big out of shame, since people make fun of his extra arms. That sucks dude. People are the worst.

-He gives me a Rank-S medal in thanks.



IT’S FUCKING GILGAMESH HAHAHAHA I WAS JOKING BUT HE’S ACTUALLY A YOUNG GILGAMESHFDJSKLFHDSLDS

-I’m tearing up because I can’t remotely begin to deal with this hahaha

Gilgamesh, don’t worry about it. You will become the greatest inter-dimensional legendary treasure hunter the multiverse has ever known. You’ll be fine.

-Oracle Kildea is here! She came here after the destruction of Cleyra, trying to change her race’s isolation.

-Daguerreo was built by “some strange scientist.” I’ll bet it’s someone I know. Not sure who, but probably someone. Maybe an earlier Cid.

-Ugh. Those eye-mound monsters are going to be in this game again, judging by the Tetra Master card I just saw.

-Also coming soon to a theater near me: Tonberries.

-Fixed the lift with a fun li’l hydraulics puzzle.



The weaponsmith now sells lots of great weapons, which I buy in bulk. Down to under 1,000 gil lol.

-About done here. I love library zones.

---

Treno

-Two things to do here: first, turn in my new Capricorn coin, and second, see if the treasure hunter waitress that told me my rank has anything for me now with my new Rank-S medal.

-The waitress recognized that I’m rank-S, but nothing else at the moment.

-Turned in the Capricorn for 20,000 gil.

---

Wrap-Up

-Going to make rounds to Qu Marshes.

-Hey, there are little tadpoles now! Catching baby frogs along with adults now.



-Zidane’s weapon, Sargatanas, is a creepy twinblade of animal skulls. It’s not lost on me that it’s an R-G-A away from being “Satanas.”

---

Madain Sari

-Went to Madain Sari. Saw someone jump out of Eiko’s house across the valley before I could catch who exactly it was.

-One of the moogles says they found Lani dying outside and rescued her. That must’ve been her. Hope she didn’t take anything.



-When I come back into the town, Lani is back and jumps away when I get near. Tried bringing Freya into the party in the hopes that she’d be able to jump after Lani. No luck. I’ll take the fact that Lani keeps resetting whenever I return to town as a good thing. Perhaps she’s just embarrassed to see us after how we beat her.

---

Black Mage Village

-The mages are back here, but feeling down. Bleak outlook.





-These poor mages have been through so much trauma.

-Went back to the graveyard. There’s now a book in the hands of one of the scarecrow/gravestones. Can’t reach it.

-The fear of death, of “stopping,” infects every aspect of village life.

---

Final Wrap

-Nothing new in Conde Petie.

-Found a Gimme Cat again, the cat who wanted a Diamond. This time I have one. Gave it to the cat.



-FUCKING CAT WAS TROLLING ME

I feel like such a chump lol. Well played, Gimme Cat.

-Found another and tried to steal from it, but no Diamond.

-I think I’m done. Probably forgot something. That’s ok.

---



Next time: Ipsen’s Castle.