Thursday, January 1, 2015

FFVI – Part 61: Distracted by Puppy

Summary: I really intended to finally get Gau on the Veldt, but wandered into a nearby Cave and found Shadow. We save him from Behemoth Kings, bring him back to Thamasa, and learn a thing or two about him.



The Falcon

-I head over to the Veldt, and overshoot it.




-THEN SUDDENTLY DEATHGAZE OMG THAT SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME

-He opens with Level 5 Death. Fortunately, my party is not a multiple of 5. Some scary moments, but he eventually flees.

Back when I last encountered him, in FFIV:TAY I think, we kept seeing him on a particular dungeon level, but he kept fleeing. Not sure if he’s unkillable here or what. Tried a few more fly-bys of Intangir Island in the northeast to re-encounter him, but no luck.

---

The Veldt

-Two strange things so far. First, the Veldt still looks as green as it did in the first world. Second, the monsters I’ve encountered so far are all old.

-Ooh, cave!

---

Cave on the Veldt

-PUPPY!!!

-No. Discipline, Coldrun! Gau! Find Gau!

---

Back on the Veldt, Where I Am Manifestly Not Distracted by Puppy

-Okay, strike one of those weird things. It was a small sample size. The Veldt now contains old and new world monsters.

-Still no Gau though. I see that the landmass was split in two, and head north in case the upper half is the Veldt and the lower isn’t?

-It seems to be the opposite though. On the northern landmass I don’t get the Veldt music.



-Oh, and I get AMBUSHED BY METEOR-CASTING TYRANNOSAURS AND DIE. So that happened.

-About 10 random Veldt fights in, no luck. I keep hoping Gau will do his “me frieeeeend” thing after one of the fights, but no. I’ll head back to the Cave. Maybe Interceptor found Gau.

---

Cave on the Veldt

-I follow Lassie, who leads me to a gang of… well, not sure, but I think they’re hunters. Friendly.

-AHA! One says he always runs across Gau, but not when they travel as a group of four. I need to clear space for Gau.

-One tells me about the dinosaur forest full of tremendously strong dinos. Yeah. Loud and clear, buddy.

-Found an item, “Ichigeki.” I assume I have to head to the Coliseum to give this to that fighter there, and he’ll give me… something?

-Found Shadow and puppy!

-Shadow’s hurt.

-JKDSHDENVJKLDNSVJKLDSVVJKL IT’S HIM

-SATAN HIMSELF



-Oh. Never mind. It’s just a Behemoth King.



The world sprite made me think it was Lone Wolf. We kill it (it doesn’t hit nearly as hard as I would’ve expect, or we could just be overleveled – not anywhere close to as nasty as the lightning-flinging Behemoth Kings in FFIII). After that, one ambushes us, and we take it out too. Got two Behemoth Suits for our troubles.

-We can’t help Shadow, so we fly him to Thamasa (which I didn’t see on the map) to get him aid.

---

Thamasa

-I didn’t see it because I suck at geography. It’s still there.

-Shadow is in bed, complaining of a nightmare.

---

Shadow’s Nightmare

-We actually SEE SHADOW! Sure, he’s covering his face slightly a la Wilson from “Home Improvement,” but it’s him.

-Interceptor’s trying to stop him from… something.



“MY DAUGHTER”

NO FUCKING WAY

IT WAS RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME

NO FUCKING WAY FFVI

I’M CRYING FROM RECONTEXTUALIZATION. THAT’S NOT A THING TO MAKE ME BUT I DON’T WHAT HE’S HER DAD

THAT’S WHY INTERCEPTOR THE ATTACK DOG LOVED HER OFF THE BAT - BECAUSE THEY WEREN’T STRANGERS. HE ALREADY KNEW HER.



HDJKLSVNDSKLVNDSJKLVNDJKLSVNDKLSVNDJKLS

I mean, they didn’t come right out and say that Relm is the daughter in question, but Interceptor connection is kind of telling me that.

---

Thamasa

-Shadow’s going to stay here to recuperate. I’ll swing back around later.

-Oh, and for further proof, Shadow’s not just having this nightmare in any old house in Thamasa. He’s in Relm’s and Strago’s house.

-Random guy asks me if I “wanna see something neat.” We then pan out to Intangir Island. It’s home to a monster that sucks in anything near it. Atomos?

-He wonders what would happen if the monster were to suck you in. Ok. I’ll save before I go there, and see what happens if he does. This is probably flavor text, and I’ll probably just get a standard death, but we’ll see.

-Ebot’s Rock is above water north of Thamasa. After I find Strago, I’ll head there.

---

Next time: GAU GAU SORRY I HAVEN’T FORGOTTEN YOU GAU. (Unless I get distracted again.)