Monday, January 5, 2015

FFVI – Part 67: Narshe and North

Summary: We explore the Narshe Mines and pick up two party members: Mog, and the yeti berserker Umaro. Another legendary dragon bites the dust. Sabin sees Duncan alive, and learns the ultimate technique: the Five Point Palm Expl… ahem, the Phantom Rush.


Narshe Mines

-The magic light room no longer is active. I can walk straight through.

-All my melee attacks here do ginormous damage. I must be far over-leveled for this place. (Currently in the 44-48 range.)

-Mog’s here! Huzzah! In the moogle area. Where are all the others?


Reuniting with Mog.

-He immediately decides to join us. Says that “the yeti” will join too if Mog asks! MORE PLAYABLE CHARACTERS YESSSS KEEP THEM COMING PLZ THX

-However, I have a full party. Before moving to the next mine area, I’ll swap out Gau for Mog. Maybe there’ll even be a snow dance I can learn.

-So many empty chests. If I hadn’t taken these in the first world, would they still be here?

---

Northern Narshe Mines

-ok, swapped out Gau and swapped in Mog. On we go.

-The yeti’s not poking his head out of the hole where we last saw him. Guess he’s elsewhere.

-I see a dragon! Must be the snow/ice dragon.

-Mog learned a new dance: Snowman Rondo. Allows him to use Snowball, Avalanche (heavy aoe damage). Can also summon an Arctic Hare who munches on a carrot and heals the party for a ton. What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?

-Boss time wth the Ice Dragon. The toughest legendary dragon fight yet, in my opinion.


Ice Dragon vs. the Alexander esper.

She cast Northern Cross and Absolute Zero and Avalanche. Heavy ice damage coming at us the whole time, but even worse, she froze/stopped Mog and Terra for the first half of the fight and then Locke and Edgar for the second half. Had to basically duo it for that reason, though the duo swapped.

Some really close calls (Mog was at one hit point once), but victory! Four down, four to go.

-Reached the top of the mountain. Walked up to the frozen chicken, and got into a fight. Valigarmanda.

-The music is still sad, not boss music. I try not attacking at first, but she casts Rasp on me, so I assume I have to fight. Firaga and Chainsaw destroy her.

-Cool. We didn’t actually kill her by winning, just broke her “seal of ice.” She wakes up, sees the world’s chaos somehow, and assumes the old war is ongoing.



Which, I suppose, it is. She trusts us, sacrifices herself, and turns herself to magicite for us.

The Valigarmanda magicite is an offensive powerhouse. Firaga, Blizzaga, Thundaga, all x1. Magic +2 on level-up.

-When she dies, a hole opens up in the cliffside. We jump in.

-And the music turns… well, not sure if dramatic or intense, but something like that. But it also has a large dollop of goofy. I assume this is yeti music.

-Traps and false floors all over the place here. Wish I had an FFV geomancer.

-Found a bone/skull carving with magicite stuck in the eye. I take it: “Midgardsormr” magicite.

-Oh shit. The yeti is pissed at us for doing that, and charges down the stairs. I’m not worried about losing, but I’m worried that I will now have to kill her and accidentally chose a magicite over a new party member.

-WHEW! We beat the yet, but didn’t kill her.


Mog being bossy.

Mog orders her to join us.


Umaro.

-Can’t wait to try her! She goes off to wait on our ship.

-Let’s teleport out.

---

Decision

-There are a few things I feel like trying next: that Cult of Kefka tower or finding Duncan. We’re at Narshe now, and Duncan’s wife said he went to train north of Narshe. Let’s try that.

-For my party setting out, I’ll take Umaro (who, like Gogo, I can’t equip), Terra, Locke, and of course Sabin.

---

North of Narshe

-Umaro hits like a freight train. No attack option – I’m guessing he’s a berserker-type.

-WHAT – IT’S REALLY DUNCAN. I thought Vargas killed him.



-He’s in a cabin hidden in a copse, and laughs at the idea that the end of the world could kill him. I wasn’t thinking it did – again, I could be misremembering, but I thought Vargas killed him.

-Duncan teaches Sabin his ultimate technique. “Phantom Rush.” Which hits like two freight trains.

---

Next time: the Cult of Kefka.