Monday, January 5, 2015

FFVI – Part 66: Terra Emerges

Summary: We hit up Mobliz, where we help Terra fight off Humbaba. She outs herself as part-esper, finds acceptance, and joins our fight. We then head to Narshe.


Mobliz

-Terra was the one with all the contact with the frozen esper, so before heading to Narshe, I want to check in with her.

-Katarin’s gone. Where? Did Humbaba eat her, or did she just leave?

-She’s pregnant.

-“Katarin ran away cause Duane’s not nice to her.” Uh oh. This isn’t just a problem for Katarin, but for us. No way Terra will leave the kids if Katarin’s gone.

-Huh. Terra’s not in the hideout either.

-We find Katarin and Terra in the basement of another house. Katarin’s happy about having a baby, but she said Duane turned cold when she mentioned it. Maybe it’s one of those “How could I bring a baby into this world” things, and maybe that’ll be the impetus for Terra to join us in killing Kefka.

-Duane apologizes. He acted like a jerk because he was overwhelmed at the idea of having a baby.



-Humbaba’s attacking! OH SHIT I FORGOT TO ACTUALLY BUILD A PARTY – still just Celes and Locke. We’ll try duo-ing this, but probably will have to reload.

-Boss time again. We’re doing okay, but Humbaba snorts Locke out of the picture and the fight ends. Terra emerges and starts to go espery.


Cool Celeses don’t look at exploding Humbabas.

And Terra and Celes KICK HIS ASS HAHA SEE YA HUMBABA. Doesn’t even get to flee this time. Just dies.

-All the kids emerge from their homes. They see Terra in esper form and start to freak out.



Terra looks really sad at this reaction.

One little girl then slowly walks up to Terra and recognizes her.



Then everyone else, slowly at first and then more excitedly, joins in. “Mama!” “Terra!”



This theme of finding love and meaning is done really well. It’s a mix. Romantic love is one possibility, but the love of friendship and family can be just as strong. I was worried they’d shove Terra into a romance and rely on that to solve all her problems. She may eventually end up in one (which would be fine if it works with her character and story), but I do like that the core of her meaning now is this found family.

-Goddammit game, stop making me cry.

-Terra floats into the air, magic trailing behind her, and promises to better the world and eventually return to these kids, to this family.

-Locke’s not in my party anymore. Did Humbaba sneeze him back to the ship?

---

The Falcon

-Yeah, Locke’s here.

-Ok, for my party into Narshe, I think I’ll get Terra, Gau, Locke, and Sabin. Actually, I’ll try Edgar over Sabin.

---

Narshe

-Tutorial center is still here.

-FUCKING LONE WOLF.



At least he leaves. He says that there’s nothing worth taking in town except for stuff that’s locked, only unlockable by a treasure hunter.

-Glad I brought Locke with me, then. And he mentions a moogle. Hang on, Mog! We’re coming!

-Hm. The inn is locked. Locke knocks, winks, then opens it. Maybe he didn’t knock but rather picked the lock? Hard to say. There’s nothing in the inn. Why was that worth picking?

-Yeah, he’s picking the locks. Again, nothing.

-Hey! A thing! There’s a guy in the weapon shop who says he was waiting for us.



He offers us magicite, giving us the choice to turn it into a sword, “Ragnarok,” or leave it as magicite. Hm. I’ll leave it as magicite, since I may be able to spread the wealth.

-It teaches “Ultima.” It’s slow, x1 acquisition rate, but it’s Ultima. Yes please. I had the Ultima spell last in FFII I think where it sucked because it would have taken FOREVER to level up. Though with a weird summonable spell: “Metamorphose: turn an enemy into an item.” ??

-Dragon Horn is fantastic btw. When I use that plus Dragoon Boots, it lets my jumps hit multiple times. Like a pogo stick of death.

-Ok, I have a two choices where to go next: the mines to the west, or the entrance to the north. I’ll start with the west, and make for the moogle village.

---

Next time: the Narshe Mines.