Friday, February 13, 2015

Fitness - Day 1: Level 2 Breakfast

Thoughts on breakfast at nutrition level 2.




The primary goal of level 2 is to eat less.  I know from my fall testing that my standard mindless eating is around 3200 calories per day.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  So for level 2, I'd like to build a day where I eat closer to 2500 calories per day and get used to that.

I was about to write, "That's still a lot" - look, I even did write it! - but I have to keep reminding myself that for the moment, it's irrelevant.  Even more than that, "that's a lot" doesn't make sense in this context.  A lot relative to who?  Relative to where I'd like to be in a year?  Yeah.  But who cares?  Relative to where I'm at now, it's a significant drop.

Eating out is a huge problem for me.  It's financially unsustainable, and tends to provide me much larger portions than I'd make myself.

So!  I had a big breakfast this morning, but one I prepared at home and that might fit into a proper level 2 day:


  • Two eggs, scrambled in some olive oil: 280 calories (about 180 for the eggs and maybe 100 for the oil)
  • Cup of whole chocolate milk: 250 calories (150 for the cup of whole milk and another 100 for the chocolate syrup)
  • Two slices of white toast with butter: 420 calories (220 for the bread and about 200 for the butter)
  • Total: 950 calories

This is just a framework, and ultimately was more than I want for level 2, but not much more.  I could cut back by just doing one slice of toast, or water instead of chocolate milk.  Or meat instead of the toast, like Spam or bacon.  It's a framework rather than something I intend to follow religiously.